Thread: Pitching staff

vCash

Pitching staff

Baseball guys, with McQuary going AWOL and some injuries (I cant remember all the names) are we still good on the mound??

I know going into the year we were going to be good pitching wise but where we at now

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    We are not super thin but we are not nearly as deep as people all of the sudden think we are. I don't know where it came from. The only injured pitcher from last yr that has returned at 100 percent is small. That's balanced out by losing price. Having james back will help but he's not 100 percent.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    So, are we going to start the season with less than 30 on the active roster?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Baseball guys, with McQuary going AWOL and some injuries (I cant remember all the names) are we still good on the mound??

I know going into the year we were going to be good pitching wise but where we at now
    We're good.

Pilkington, Small, Billingsley...maybe Keegan starting on weekends. I'm thinking Keegan starts midweek at worst.

Self will be back soon- probably pre-SEC play. Blake Smith has looked good. Jared Leibelt, Zach Neff, and Cole Marsh could have roles in the bullpen. Cole Gordon should be much better and might close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    So, are we going to start the season with less than 30 on the active roster?
    Maybe close to 30 but I'm guessing slightly over 30 for now. I'm expecting McQuary to redshirt and be back next year (just a guess), Ashcraft to redshirt, Zach Stephens may be released, and then Lovell has left so that should put us at 31 if my math is right and I'm not forgetting anyone.

vCash
    With Zane Stephens potentially out we now have ZERO freshmen pitchers

With McQ and Ashcraft potentially done as bulldogs we are down to Self and ONE true sophomore pitcher. Our lottery ticket walk-on Windham didn?t make the team as a red-shirt freshman

I can?t remember something like this ever happening before. What a disaster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

With McQ and Ashcraft potentially done as bulldogs we are down to Self and ONE true sophomore pitcher. Our lottery ticket walk-on Windham didn?t make the team as a red-shirt freshman

Ruh roh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

Having no freshmen pitchers is definitely a recruiting fail. And a lot of that was Cohen losing interest and part of it was switching pitching coaches three times in a span of about 12 months. Some of it is again relying too much on JUCO pitchers/players in general.

The thing is if Ashcraft and McQuary pan out by year three it wouldn't really be any different than Stratton, Lindgren, Hudson and etc. and all of the other pitchers we had recently that didn't pan out until year three either.

The silver lining to all of our pitcher injuries is it has essentially pushed guys back to where some of our rotation guys are going to be people like Kale Breaux, Keegan James, probably to go along with Self and then after that we might have Ashcraft and McQuary still- and I do think there is a good chance that McQuary comes back based on what I heard he did which isn't drug related.

We're going to need some guys like JT Ginn to come to school and make an impact right away. Obviously I don't expect to get Carter Stewart or Cole Winn but we do have some other promising freshmen like Sam Knowlton, Regi Grace, and Eric Cerentola coming in that I think will be potential weekend guys.

vCash
    We will also have the Tulane transfer figure into the lineup. I believe his name is France. Had some decent numbers last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodawg View Post
    We will also have the Tulane transfer figure into the lineup. I believe his name is France. Had some decent numbers last season.
    He has elbow inflammation at this time so we'll have to wait and see if that gets cleared up or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Maybe close to 30 but I'm guessing slightly over 30 for now. I'm expecting McQuary to redshirt and be back next year (just a guess), Ashcraft to redshirt, Zach Stephens may be released, and then Lovell has left so that should put us at 31 if my math is right and I'm not forgetting anyone.
    Forgot price. With a true fr that's going to redshirt at catcher barring injury, so really 29 to start the year. The NCAA cap of 35 is just stupid. Especially considering you have to keep all scholarship guys on the 35 even if they quit in the fall or whenever.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 02-13-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Forgot price. With a true fr that's going to redshirt at catcher barring injury, so really 29 to start the year. The NCAA cap of 35 is just stupid. Especially considering you have to keep all scholarship guys on the 35 even if they quit in the fall or whenever.
    It’s amazing how out of touch the NCAA STILL is concerning College Baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Having no freshmen pitchers is definitely a recruiting fail. And a lot of that was Cohen losing interest and part of it was switching pitching coaches three times in a span of about 12 months. Some of it is again relying too much on JUCO pitchers/players in general.

The thing is if Ashcraft and McQuary pan out by year three it wouldn't really be any different than Stratton, Lindgren, Hudson and etc. and all of the other pitchers we had recently that didn't pan out until year three either.

The silver lining to all of our pitcher injuries is it has essentially pushed guys back to where some of our rotation guys are going to be people like Kale Breaux, Keegan James, probably to go along with Self and then after that we might have Ashcraft and McQuary still- and I do think there is a good chance that McQuary comes back based on what I heard he did which isn't drug related.

We're going to need some guys like JT Ginn to come to school and make an impact right away. Obviously I don't expect to get Carter Stewart or Cole Winn but we do have some other promising freshmen like Sam Knowlton, Regi Grace, and Eric Cerentola coming in that I think will be potential weekend guys.
    JT Ginn aint coming to Starkville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    JT Ginn aint coming to Starkville
    statistically speaking, you are probably correct. he's a top 3 round guy, at worst, so from there it really just depends on his number. but odds are he won't. But much more chance w him than stewart for sure.