Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS Deer Hunters, Our Worst Fear Has Come True

vCash

MS Deer Hunters, Our Worst Fear Has Come True

CWD confirmed in the herd:

http://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wild...e-tailed-deer/

There was a scare last year with a possible CWD positive deer escaping from an enclosure. The deer in this article is a long ways away from that area, so this puts 2 regions of the state at risk now.

This is not good at all. No state with CWD has been able to get ahead of it.

vCash
    Man, I hate that. I suppose it was just a matter of time. I think we will see most states with a deer herd eventually have some CWD.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    I know what NEEDS to happen, but I don?t think it will ever happen. It?s two-pronged.

1- there needs to be a complete eradication of every deer within a 15-25 mile radius of the site of dead deer that tested positive ? even if it was found to be within an enclosure. Every deer that is killed during that eradication needs to be numbered and tested, and coordinates of each of those deer need to be documented. For those deer killed, if any, that test positive then those need an eradication radius, as well. The dirt from the site of where the original deer was found needs to be removed and burned up and then buried deep DEEP in a hole.

2- as much as I use them, for the overall sake of our deer herd and for a future hunting herd for our posterity, we need to ban supplemental feeding and possibly even supplemental mineral sites. It sucks, but it is what it is

vCash
    Don’t quote me on this but I think they’re killing 300 deer within a 30 mile radius immediately. If another case pops up, they’ll repeat that. Hopefully that contains it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    I know what NEEDS to happen, but I don?t think it will ever happen. It?s two-pronged.

1- there needs to be a complete eradication of every deer within a 15-25 mile radius of the site of dead deer that tested positive ? even if it was found to be within an enclosure. Every deer that is killed during that eradication needs to be numbered and tested, and coordinates of each of those deer need to be documented. For those deer killed, if any, that test positive then those need an eradication radius, as well. The dirt from the site of where the original deer was found needs to be removed and burned up and then buried deep DEEP in a hole.

2- as much as I use them, for the overall sake of our deer herd and for a future hunting herd for our posterity, we need to ban supplemental feeding and possibly even supplemental mineral sites. It sucks, but it is what it is
    I agree with your sentiments that it will take something BIG to stop this from rapidly spreading. I fear we are all going to wake up in five years on wonder why we didn't immediately ban feeding, high-fence and captive breeding operations, and cervid farms. Hunting deer will not be much fun anymore when you take the butchery and meat aspect out of it.

vCash
    I don't know many who "pile up" corn in great enough quantities to have much of an impact on spreading CWD. Most people feed corn via timed broadcast feeders and the corn is spread out. Old timers will tell you that if you pile up corn, coons will get in it, pee on it and the deer won't touch it. I know they pile it up in Texas, but overal their deer are managed much more aggressively than ours.

There are rumors of high fence operations close to where the CWD deer was discovered, I wonder if high fences are more of threat than feeding corn? Due to the cost of high fences and the political pull of those who can finance them, i doubt there's much chance of high fences being outlawed.

vCash
    This isn’t based by any science, just opinion, but I believe it’s 100% high fence operations to blame. So you mean to tell me it just randomly popped up in the middle of the state? Not buying that. If you made me guess, a high fence guy brought something to MS he wasn’t supposed to.

vCash
    This could be so much worse than the Blue Tongue disease that popped up in the late 80's. It basically wiped out many areas deer population so fast, and it took 10 - 15 years for some places to get them back. I do believe that some hunting laws will be changed due to this event. What a shame.

vCash
    Looks like 900 deer from each buffer zone will be killed and tested. The results will determine if a complete eradication happens.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    The rumor mill is churning hard today. A few guys have told me that the DWFP is finding many dead carcasses as well as dying deer from within the original zone. If true, then that means it has been concentrated there for a while.

vCash
    The rumor mill is churning hard today. A few guys have told me that the DWFP is finding many dead carcasses as well as dying deer from within the original zone. If true, then that means it has been concentrated there for a while.
    Damn. I hope this is not true.

vCash
    I hunt within the CWD zone (Yes, liberals do own guns and hunt.) and a lot of rumors are circulating regarding more sick deer. True or not, my concern is rising in that deer density in this area is extremely high which could lead to a very apocalyptic outbreak. We must be patient, and put our trust in MDWFP and Dr. Demarais of MSU. I am confident we will be updated if and when other cases of CWD are confirmed.

vCash
    Damn. Someone answer a dumb question for someone uneducated on CWD. How does it pop up right in the center of the state and not first show up in a border where it is known to have occurred like our NW border being that Arkansas has confirmed cases. There have been no cases in LA or AL but it pops up right in the center of our state. I don't get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Damn. Someone answer a dumb question for someone uneducated on CWD. How does it pop up right in the center of the state and not first show up in a border where it is known to have occurred like our NW border being that Arkansas has confirmed cases. There have been no cases in LA or AL but it pops up right in the center of our state. I don't get it.
    This is one reason some are speculating that imported deer kept in high fence enclosures are the carriers and possibly have spread CWD to native deer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I have no idea, and that is what concerns me. The current CWD zone is in the lower Yazoo and Mississippi River flood plain which makes it nearly impossible to have a "high fence" operation in the area. I have been hunting in that area for nearly 20 years, and to my knowledge, no such operation currently exists or has existed. Now, in an effort to improve/alter the genetic makeup of the local beard, did someone import deer from other areas that may have been infected with CWD? That is very possible. A deer's home range is relatively small, so it does not seem probable that an infected deer just migrated to the area. It is possible, but highly improbable, that an infected deer was displaced into the area by flooding.
    My guess is someone released some infected deer into the area for reasons previously stated.
    If other cases of CWD are documented, it is likely, in my opinion, that drastic, and highly unpopular actions, will be taken in an effort to contain it.

vCash
    We are within the 25mile buffer. I was told that it?ll be 300 deer and test, then keep moving out if tests come back positive.

vCash
    I am a wildlife ranger. CWD is not the end of the world as far as deer hunting is concerned don't over react to this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    I have no idea, and that is what concerns me. The current CWD zone is in the lower Yazoo and Mississippi River flood plain which makes it nearly impossible to have a "high fence" operation in the area. I have been hunting in that area for nearly 20 years, and to my knowledge, no such operation currently exists or has existed. Now, in an effort to improve/alter the genetic makeup of the local beard, did someone import deer from other areas that may have been infected with CWD? That is very possible. A deer's home range is relatively small, so it does not seem probable that an infected deer just migrated to the area. It is possible, but highly improbable, that an infected deer was displaced into the area by flooding.
    My guess is someone released some infected deer into the area for reasons previously stated.
    If other cases of CWD are documented, it is likely, in my opinion, that drastic, and highly unpopular actions, will be taken in an effort to contain it.
    Interesting, I've read that the deer was found near 10 Point Hunting Club on the north side of Eagle Lake and there is a high fence enclosure in the area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I am a wildlife ranger. CWD is not the end of the world as far as deer hunting is concerned don't over react to this.
    Concur, CWD has been around for a long time. Bookface is having a meltdown, my favorite theory is that MDWFP is conspiring to get a tagging system passed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Interesting, I've read that the deer was found near 10 Point Hunting Club on the north side of Eagle Lake and there is a high fence enclosure in the area.
    Where is the high fence enclosure? Not saying you are wrong but this does not seem feasible due to flooding.
    I too have heard the deer was found in the Eagle Lake area