Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
I have no idea, and that is what concerns me. The current CWD zone is in the lower Yazoo and Mississippi River flood plain which makes it nearly impossible to have a "high fence" operation in the area. I have been hunting in that area for nearly 20 years, and to my knowledge, no such operation currently exists or has existed. Now, in an effort to improve/alter the genetic makeup of the local beard, did someone import deer from other areas that may have been infected with CWD? That is very possible. A deer's home range is relatively small, so it does not seem probable that an infected deer just migrated to the area. It is possible, but highly improbable, that an infected deer was displaced into the area by flooding.
My guess is someone released some infected deer into the area for reasons previously stated.
If other cases of CWD are documented, it is likely, in my opinion, that drastic, and highly unpopular actions, will be taken in an effort to contain it.
Interesting, I've read that the deer was found near 10 Point Hunting Club on the north side of Eagle Lake and there is a high fence enclosure in the area.