Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Dull Days of February Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Dull Days of February Edition

I?m doing a homeade chicken chili tomorrow. Tonight, probably nothing. I?m on the mend and I think half of the metro area is sick.

vCash
    Well, it has been awhile. Been enjoying the fam, and got a hellova promotion that has kept me busier than all get out the last few months at work. That said, I wake up every day and say “it it good to be home.”

Fried crappie fillets tonight, and they were damn good. I ran out of cornmeal, and used masa as the breading. Worked just fine, FYI.

vCash
    Doing something tomorrow I?ve never done before. It is my parents 50th anniversary tomorrow. My sister and her family are coming down from the ATL as a surprise. Instead of going out, we are bringing in a Chef to cook a meal for the 9 of us - while we hang out, drink, and watch the Olympics. Should be interesting. Chef is a client of my wife?s, so we are getting a great deal on a former Sea Island Executive Chef for an evening.

vCash
    This weekend, we are not cooking at all. Call us crazy or stupid (or both) we are going to the Coast to ride in a couple of Mardis Gras parades tonight and tomorrow. We will be like drowned rats that fell into a distillery. So, we plan to eat at Mary Mahoney, and try some of the new places for a seafood weekend. I lived in OS earlier for 15 years, but we want to partake in new places. Any recommendations?

Also, the craps table at the Beau is calling my name, I hear it now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Doing something tomorrow I?ve never done before. It is my parents 50th anniversary tomorrow. My sister and her family are coming down from the ATL as a surprise. Instead of going out, we are bringing in a Chef to cook a meal for the 9 of us - while we hang out, drink, and watch the Olympics. Should be interesting. Chef is a client of my wife?s, so we are getting a great deal on a former Sea Island Executive Chef for an evening.
    That's really damn cool. Never thought about that as an idea before

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    This weekend, we are not cooking at all. Call us crazy or stupid (or both) we are going to the Coast to ride in a couple of Mardis Gras parades tonight and tomorrow. We will be like drowned rats that fell into a distillery. So, we plan to eat at Mary Mahoney, and try some of the new places for a seafood weekend. I lived in OS earlier for 15 years, but we want to partake in new places. Any recommendations?

Also, the craps table at the Beau is calling my name, I hear it now.
    Do you mean like restaurants or nightlife? Salvetti's is good if you like Italian. My favorite food stop in OS is Frech Kiss Bakery. That might be the best bakery in MS in my opinion. For bars, I've always liked Mississippi Juke Joint, formerly Meezo's.

vCash
    I'm doing some experimental cooking tonight. I had 10 leg quarters left and I'm tired of smoking them. So I roasted them off on a sheet pan, pulled the meat, and used the bones to make a scratch broth. Here's where it gets dicey. It was the day before I had my produce delivery so I couldn't start my broth with a mirepoix. I had green/yellow bells, onion, and diced japs. Then I look around and have no olive oil to sautee those veggies. I ended up using the chicken fat drippings from the sheet pan. After cooking the veggies I added water and bones and let simmer for about 4-5 hours, then straining broth. With the broth and the pulled chicken I'm making a crockpot chicken chili today. Before I left the house I combined those items with an chopped onion, chopped green bells, white beans, and a few spoonfuls of tomato paste. I'll be back home 4ish and I'll season to taste with paprika, chili powder, cumin, and maybe a cpl more spices. Let that go a cpl more hours and see what turns out.

Here’s my broth simmering from the other day
    Last edited by BeastMan; 02-10-2018 at 10:23 AM.

vCash
    I usually do a staff meal but I let one of my guys do it today. I brought some deer sausage and he did sausage and onions, eggs, grits, and homeade cheddar herb biscuits. The biscuits were ridiculous

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    That’s awesome. We’ve done something like that and it’s a little weird at first bc you think you need to help bc it’s your kitchen. Just have a drink and let the chef do his thang. Y’all will have a blast.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Any you clowns done Tilefish? Seems like simple is better is what I’m reading

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Any you clowns done Tilefish? Seems like simple is better is what I’m reading
    Never done it but I know it’s supposed to be both outstanding & high in mercury. Once a month fish at most.

vCash
    So dinner went great. My parents were totally surprised. We had some cheese, prosciutto charcuterie and some bacon wrapped shrimp as apps. A great salad with a champagne vinegrette dressing. Main course of garlic mashed potatoes, seasonal veggies, fresh grouper, and filet. Desert was a chocolate tart. Very good.

Best part was my daughter calling from Starkville to distract her grandmother while I snuck my sister and her family into the house. Good pic of the happy couple and the meal.

vCash
    Chicken chili and quesadillas. G2 since in on antibiotics. Has some family over and one if them came back from Nola with a Randazzo king cake for dessert