Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I have heard from several....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    I agree that Jackie took lemons and made lemonade. Dan is responsible for a larger stadium, new football facility and renewed sense and belief in the football program.
    Jackie got the upper decks built in spite of LT and even had to give up a home game vs Fla because LT was offered $1MM to do it.
    To show you had bad it was under LT- Jackie tried over and over to get one of the practice fields fixed because part of it had sunk some- LT kept putting him off- we lost a WR to an ACL during practice because of it. LT nearly got his ass beat over that one.

Mullen didnt have to fight those battles
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    **** Mullen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Jackie got the upper decks built in spite of LT and even had to give up a home game vs Fla because LT was offered $1MM to do it.
    To show you had bad it was under LT- Jackie tried over and over to get one of the practice fields fixed because part of it had sunk some- LT kept putting him off- we lost a WR to an ACL during practice because of it. LT nearly got his ass beat over that one.

Mullen didnt have to fight those battles
    Also, Bama might not have been as great as they are now but they were still in a National Title hunt almost every year. The SEC West might be as tough as possible now but it was still one of the toughest in the country at that time and we weren't as close to even footing then. Dan benefitted greatly from the SEC money almost leveling the playing field combined with almost 4 OOC wins every year. Dan gave us stability but Jackie gave us a real chance at the SEC title in Atlanta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Also, Bama might not have been as great as they are now but they were still in a National Title hunt almost every year. The SEC West might be as tough as possible now but it was still one of the toughest in the country at that time and we weren't as close to even footing then. Dan benefitted greatly from the SEC money almost leveling the playing field combined with almost 4 OOC wins every year. Dan gave us stability but Jackie gave us a real chance at the SEC title in Atlanta.
    Jackie and Richard Williams raised the ceilings for our programs

Mullen and Stands brought consistency and raised the floors

vCash

That is very accurate. Mullen showed us we should be in a bowl every year with a chance at a NY6 every couple. Stans showed us that we could be in the postseason every year in either the NCAA or NIT. Jackie and Richard both showed us we can go toe to toe with the big boys and beat them. Stans and Mullen rarely beat great teams but they also didn't lose to crap teams very often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Istvan Teleky View Post
    He's not burning any bridges in the event that Franklin goes to the NFL. There won't be any stigma on him in the eyes of the PSU alums.
    You may be correct, but I believe that JoeMo just did not believe it was right (ethical) for him to go after players that PSU was recruiting for their 2018 signing class.

vCash

You know, I have to say this is a "buy". Well stated. I agree.
    Last edited by Dawgtini; 02-12-2018 at 01:41 PM.

vCash

Mullen got us to the Orange Bowl. He raised the ceiling.

Mullen may not have won the SECW, but that?s because other teams raised their ceilings too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Mullen got us to the Orange Bowl. He raised the ceiling.

Mullen may not have won the SECW, but that?s because other teams raised their ceilings too.
    Jackie got us an SEC West title and a Cotton Bowl. For the first time in modern history- we showed we could compete. We beat Bama one time in the 36 years before Jackie arrived. He beat them 4 times in the span of 7 years- not to mention us getting screwed in 1999.
    Jackie evened up the Egg Bowl rivalry and set it on its ear for the 1st time since the 1940's.

It's kind of like being Led Zeppelin. They are great and people look to them as one of the best ever- but there are people now that are doing extraordinary music now as well. The difference? Zeppelin was the 1st to show people it could be done. Blazed the trail. Without Jackie- there is no Mullen.

vCash
    Jackie got us an SEC West title and a Cotton Bowl. For the first time in modern history- we showed we could compete. We beat Bama one time in the 36 years before Jackie arrived. He beat them 4 times in the span of 7 years- not to mention us getting screwed in 1999.
    Jackie evened up the Egg Bowl rivalry and set it on its ear for the 1st time since the 1940's.

It's kind of like being Led Zeppelin. They are great and people look to them as one of the best ever- but there are people now that are doing extraordinary music now as well. The difference? Zeppelin was the 1st to show people it could be done. Blazed the trail. Without Jackie- there is no Mullen.
    Good job of getting me pissed off on a Monday. I will never forget MSU somehow getting a holding call on a punt return where the penalty was somehow behind the damn returner. The only person back there was the damn ref. That game was a consistent, hey MSU just got momentum, throw a flag for whatever bullshit you can. I am surprised a ref didn't call a balk or a double dribble in that damn game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Great post! Dead on accurate!

Jackie is one of us!
    I?ll never forget the time the Kang and I were out at MSU GC?s driving range at the same time. I was in awe so I went over to where he was hitting and said ?Hey coach?... no reaction. I waited a few minutes and said it again, he just kept hitting. I tried once more and finally, without looking up said, exasperated, ?Yessss??. I said that I was a big fan and just wanted to say hello. He nodded and kinda smiled and went back to hitting his range balls. Feeling like a d**k, I went back to my station to finish my bucket of balls. A few minutes later this voice behind says ?Your backswing is to flat and your not keeping your head down?. It was JWS giving me golf lessons!! I guess he felt bad for blowing me off and came over to watch me hit. We chit-chatted a bit before he left. It was awesome!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Good job of getting me pissed off on a Monday. I will never forget MSU somehow getting a holding call on a punt return where the penalty was somehow behind the damn returner. The only person back there was the damn ref. That game was a consistent, hey MSU just got momentum, throw a flag for whatever bullshit you can. I am surprised a ref didn't call a balk or a double dribble in that damn game.
    I was at that game in Tuscaloosa! Talk about phantom calls, geez! Bama also score the go ahead TD on a pick play. The pick play happened right in front of me and Smoot was screaming from the get go. While I subscribe to the notion that you have to be good enough to win no matter what, the officials in that game GREATLY affected the outcome. Those 2 plays cost us 7 on that called back punt return and basically gave them 7 on the pick play.

vCash

Perfect analogy! Very well said. The Kang was the first coach who showed us we could compete and win and we weren't second fiddle to anyone. I shudder to think where our program would be if we hadn't of hired JWS. He changed the course of football at State even with the way it ended(which happened because of the turds at unm and their jealousy).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I was at that game in Tuscaloosa! Talk about phantom calls, geez! Bama also score the go ahead TD on a pick play. The pick play happened right in front of me and Smoot was screaming from the get go. While I subscribe to the notion that you have to be good enough to win no matter what, the officials in that game GREATLY affected the outcome. Those 2 plays cost us 7 on that called back punt return and basically gave them 7 on the pick play.
    My wife and I actually went to every game in 1999 and stayed from kickoff to final whistle. The Bama game wasn't as horrible as the BYU game but the refs made game changing penalties at just the right time. Every time we started getting momentum, the ref threw a flag or in the case of the pick play, didn't. I have seen too many LB or Defensive Ends get dragged down from behind by Bama Oline to get surprised by a lack of holding calls now. The refs have to really do something crazy for it to upset me. I take the same approach watching MSU against UK basketball.