Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basketball attendance

vCash

Basketball attendance

Didn't want to hijack the WBB thread or diminish their accomplishments, but that thread got me thinking about a couple of things...

1)They have pretty much crushed the argument that we are in a "small market" and "can't" consistently pack the Hump.

2)They have certainly reinforced the argument about putting a winning team on the floor and the fans will show.

3)It's still pissin' me off that our fan base won't/hasn't supported the men's program better that we have. Apparently, many still don't realize that fan support has a very real effect on the quality of play, how big an impact it has on perception of the program in the media or how big an impact it has on recruiting, which again has everything to do with the quality of talent which leads to wins. We just saw Monday night how much it can affect a recruit! Vic constantly raves about how much that support has helped build that program.

Do I sound like a preacher that shares the same message every Sunday yet?

vCash
    One point of order: The women's team last year and this year is probably the best team in any sport MSU has ever fielded. That kind of stuff usually draws people in.

vCash
    Our men deserve much better than they get from us fans. It is past time for us to step up and fill the hump for both the men and the women.

vCash
    Two different fan bases....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Yep, the women's fan base is much more local. Tickets are cheaper and ordinary local folks can afford them and get them. That and how good the team is equals big crowds.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 02-09-2018 at 08:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Not sure about this...I see and know a lot of people that show up for both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    Not sure about this...I see and know a lot of people that show up for both.
    I know a BUNCH of people who have been to very few if any men's games that go to nearly all the women's games. WAY more than I know that go to both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I know a BUNCH of people who have been to very few if any men's games that go to nearly all the women's games. WAY more than I know that go to both.
    You're probably right about this...I think the group I'm referring to are a relatively small group of hardcores. I do know that there are many of the regulars at the women's games that travel good ways to get to the games.

vCash
    I go to both, and its an mostly an entirely different crowd.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    The women have nice crowds but I wouldn't say they have been "packing the Hump"
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Last season, they averaged 6600 people - good for 7th in the country. This season, they will average about 6900 - and will have sold out their final 4 games. That?s pretty much packing the house.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    Didn't want to hijack the WBB thread or diminish their accomplishments, but that thread got me thinking about a couple of things...

1)They have pretty much crushed the argument that we are in a "small market" and "can't" consistently pack the Hump.

2)They have certainly reinforced the argument about putting a winning team on the floor and the fans will show.

3)It's still pissin' me off that our fan base won't/hasn't supported the men's program better that we have. Apparently, many still don't realize that fan support has a very real effect on the quality of play, how big an impact it has on perception of the program in the media or how big an impact it has on recruiting, which again has everything to do with the quality of talent which leads to wins. We just saw Monday night how much it can affect a recruit! Vic constantly raves about how much that support has helped build that program.

Do I sound like a preacher that shares the same message every Sunday yet?

The Hump was packed almost every at least SEC game I was in school for men's basketball early '90s. I don't know why there would be a perception it could not be regularly packed with a winning team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Serious question. Do you argue just to argue? Trolling maybe? Worked on me, I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    The Hump was packed almost every at least SEC game I was in school for men's basketball early '90s. I don't know why there would be a perception it could not be regularly packed with a winning team.
    I was a season ticket holder that whole decade. The crowds were good for say, 90-92 and then again 94-97. Not so good otherwise. Better than now of course.

vCash
    More enjoyable type of game to watch + better team = better attendance

Let’s be honest, the girls have EARNED their praise and greater attendance. It shouldn’t be a “given” just because the boys field a team that people should attend the games. I don’t see threads about the tennis or soccer attendance.

I have personally soured on these types of threads due to the nonsense spewed during football season about showing Lateral Move how much we were behind him and the team for early Saturday games....

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Yep, the women's fan base is much more local. Tickets are cheaper and ordinary local folks can afford them and get them. That and how good the team is equals big crowds.
    Also other than courtside, they are first come first serve. Men's games piss you off when there are only 200 tickets available and the lower bowl is 65% empty.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tireddawg View Post
    Serious question. Do you argue just to argue? Trolling maybe? Worked on me, I guess.
    I would guess they pulled on average 1500 more fans every game. At least the ones I have been to this year.
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Also other than courtside, they are first come first serve. Men's games piss you off when there are only 200 tickets available and the lower bowl is 65% empty.
    Been saying this pisses people off for years now and I know they let people move down after ten minutes but most people choose to stay where they are once a game has started.

vCash
    The one thing that was different with football was the fans came to support Mullen even in season 1 when he had his turn at pulling us out of the depths of hell. I understand why attendance dropped under Rick Ray as there was a lack of talent, lack of recruiting, a controversial coaching change, and a general who the heck did we just hire situation. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good man, just an odd fit at an odd time.

Howland comes in and I looked at him as the basketball equivalent of the 1991 Jackie Sherrill hire. We didn't win right away, but recruiting picked up, team became more competitive, but we missed out on what we did in Mullen's first year where the fan base helped drive the transition of the program in a very positive manner by filling up the stadium every game. There was a lot of marketing effort behind making that happen under Byrne's watch that seemed absent in Howland's start. Maybe Stricklin was still smarting from having that decision driven down on him from above. So unlike football with Mullen and Sherrill, we have truly taken a show me approach with Howland. It is what it is, we can't go back and change it, but it's interesting to think about the parallels. Regardless of the past, I'm optimistic attendance is going to improve going forward as the team is showing a lot of promise for the future.

vCash
    Ticket prices help support also. Women?s team have sold out the next two games. Very few left for the Aubby game, so they?re going to sell out four games in a row.
    A lot of this is due to tickets being 5 bucks each. People can take a family of four for what it would cost for one person to go to a men?s game.