Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&P rankings for 2018 have State at #14

vCash

S&P rankings for 2018 have State at #14

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...gs-projections

Glad to see other people catching up with me and others here at ED. Dont see Auburn at 5 though. They will be pretty good but not top 10 good.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Don't understand how our "returning production" is ranked 15th. I'm thinking it probably should be #1. At least in top 5 probably.

And Bama's is 4th?? SMH

Maybe I don't understand what "returning production" means. Does that just mean you were on the roster?? **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Don't understand how our "returning production" is ranked 15th. I'm thinking it probably should be #1. At least in top 5 probably.

And Bama's is 4th?? SMH

Maybe I don't understand what "returning production" means. Does that just mean you were on the roster?? **
    First thing to note is that being 14th in the nation is counting schools like SMU; it isn't just P5. I saw one metric of returning production that had us 4th in the P5, behind only other MSU (who will be really good too), Baylor, and Kansas. That calculated returning production based on % of snaps, % of tackles, % of yards gained, etc.that returned. I'm not sure how Bill Connely does it though.

I'm not sure, but I also think he weighs different positions differently. So a QB is more important than a S in his formula. I'd bet LT is fairly highly rated, and as such losing Rankin probably is a bigger hit than either CB. Of course we all know we have a very good backup LT, so in reality Rankins loss hurts less than Durrs or Clevelands.

I'm sure Cleveland, Gray, Dez, and Durr had their fair share of tackles. Their losses will count against us. Alos if you look at the receivers, Thomas, Myles, and Gray made upa large % of our yards and their loses will count against us. Now State fans know that none of them were good and the new WRs will be better than any of them, so we can safely ignore the statistical loss of production. But I understand if his formula doesn't. All in all I'd say these formulas -while they do their best- just can't go deep enough to be accurate, and fortunately for us, are underrating us this year. Hope that helps

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    First thing to note is that being 14th in the nation is counting schools like SMU; it isn't just P5. I saw one metric of returning production that had us 4th in the P5, behind only other MSU (who will be really good too), Baylor, and Kansas. That calculated returning production based on % of snaps, % of tackles, % of yards gained, etc.that returned. I'm not sure how Bill Connely does it though.

I'm not sure, but I also think he weighs different positions differently. So a QB is more important than a S in his formula. I'd bet LT is fairly highly rated, and as such losing Rankin probably is a bigger hit than either CB. Of course we all know we have a very good backup LT, so in reality Rankins loss hurts less than Durrs or Clevelands.

I'm sure Cleveland, Gray, Dez, and Durr had their fair share of tackles. Their losses will count against us. Alos if you look at the receivers, Thomas, Myles, and Gray made upa large % of our yards and their loses will count against us. Now State fans know that none of them were good and the new WRs will be better than any of them, so we can safely ignore the statistical loss of production. But I understand if his formula doesn't. All in all I'd say these formulas -while they do their best- just can't go deep enough to be accurate, and fortunately for us, are underrating us this year. Hope that helps
    Trying to understand then Bammer at #4. They losing their whole D and Ridley. Probably both backs too.

vCash

I wonder if all the bad publicity will affect Michigan St. People were calling for the coach to resign similar to Briles at Baylor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...gs-projections

Glad to see other people catching up with me and others here at ED. Dont see Auburn at 5 though. They will be pretty good but not top 10 good.
    Auburn #5 is never going to happen with that schedule. They travel to Starkville, Athens, and Tuscaloosa. Good luck winning any of those 3 games. Plus they get to play Washington in Atlanta to open the season. Those 4 games are going to keep them from getting to 10 wins I think.

To add to that, Auburn should be pissed at the success Georgia is having. As their permanent East crossover, they are in for a nightmare of a time trying to combat the current Bama and Georgia at the end of the season for the next 3-5 years. It was already tough, but Georgia is on the path to perennial Top 10.

vCash

Dedrick Thomas still has two years left if I'm not mistaken. I believe he was a r/s

sophomore last year.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    and Hurts
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/962096802693558272

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/962735445812678657

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/960844445175468033

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/958385252401078274

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/958295893924614144

vCash
    https://twitter.com/ncaableachers/status/958381426516353029

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/957622751656898560

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/957618587795156993

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/957106886804942848

vCash
    https://twitter.com/cffmwachsman/status/955984350176165889

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash

And Bama's is 4th?? SMH

Trying to understand then Bammer at #4. They losing their whole D and Ridley. Probably both backs too.
    It looks like the "returning production" rankings included in the S&P+ rankings are modified from raw returning production numbers. About two weeks ago, Bill C. published his returning production rankings. Here they are:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ers-experience

We're 8th nationally in those rankings. Bama is 103rd. (Y'all should read his explanation of the returning production stats. Among other things, he notes that returning experience in the secondary has the highest correlation to team improvement from year to year.)

In the intro to the S&P + rankings, he says that "[f]or returning production, [he] appl[ied] projected changes (based on each team's returning offensive and defensive production, which are on different scales) to last year's S&P+ averages. The projection based on returning production accounts for a little more than 50 percent." I'm not sure I completely follow, but maybe he took the raw returning production rank and then somehow adjusted it for the quality of the team to account for returning production on bad teams? That's the best I can make of it. Otherwise, it's just a massive typo, which would surprise me. But who knows.

Bill C. has acknowledged our 2018 potential since the end of the season. In the article with the new S&P+ rankings, he gives a link to a story he wrote in November about our hiring of Joe Moorhead. It's worth a look. Here's an excerpt:

[Moorhead] will take over an offense scheduled to return quarterback Nick Fitzgerald, running back Aeris Williams and Kylin Hill, a foursome of freshman and sophomore receivers (Deddrick Thomas, Reggie Todd, Keith Mixon, Jamal Couch) that combined for 800 receiving yards and eight touchdowns, and an offensive line with only one 2017 senior.

His work with Fitzgerald could be fascinating. As important as Barkley (2,630 rushing yards, 996 receiving yards, 41 combined touchdowns in 2016-17) has been, Moorhead?s bond with quarterback Trace McSorley was as or more vital.

McSorley's completion rate was just 55 seven games into his first season with Moorhead, his passer rating just 133.4. Since then: 63 percent and 162.1. He caught fire, playing nearly perfect ball in the Big Ten title game against Wisconsin and throwing four TDs in the tight Rose Bowl loss to USC. This year, he's thrown for 3,228 yards and 26 touchdowns despite rarely playing in fourth quarters. (Not including sacks, he's also rushed for 1,093 yards in the last two seasons.)

Moorhead will only get one year with Fitzgerald. The QB pipeline isn't dry after him, mind you -- four-star prospect Keytaon Thompson got thrown into the deep end when Fitzgerald went down early in the Egg Bowl -- but how quickly Moorhead and Fitzgerald can reach the same page will set the bar for 2018.

(A defense with only two seniors among its top 16 tacklers can't hurt.)
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 02-12-2018 at 01:27 PM.