Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sankey?s Letter in the gun law.....

vCash

Sankey?s Letter on the gun law.....

that passed the Mississippi house leaves little doubt that we will no longer be able to have SEC home games if athletic events aren?t exempted. It also hints that we might be removed from the SEC. I favor gun rights but this law is just stupid. Guns have no place in the hands of drunk fans at an athletic event.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 02-08-2018 at 12:15 PM.

vCash
    Does the commissioner have that power?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Does the commissioner have that power?
    The members do, and he represents them.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    This only applies to enhanced carry license holders. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one and/or can pass the requirements to obtain one. I'm on the fence, but for Sankey and the media to paint this as broad as they're trying is complete BS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The members do, and he represents them.
    In other words, no. He cannot kick a school out of the sec.

ETA... I think it is rather dumb to carry in a college football game. Even so, I think it 100x more likely sankey gets the boot than state and OM

vCash
    Wow, he is basically threatening MSU or else:

"Given the intense atmosphere surrounding athletic events, adding weapons increases meaningful safety concerns and is expected to negatively impact the intercollegiate athletics programs at your universities in several ways," Sankey said in a letter to Keenum and the University of Mississippi's chancellor. "If HB1083 is adopted to permit weapons in college sports venues, it is likely that competitors will decline opportunities to play in Oxford and Starkville, game officials will decline assignments, personal safety concerns will be used against Mississippi’s universities during the recruiting process and fan attendance will be negatively impacted."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Wow, he is basically threatening MSU or else:

"Given the intense atmosphere surrounding athletic events, adding weapons increases meaningful safety concerns and is expected to negatively impact the intercollegiate athletics programs at your universities in several ways," Sankey said in a letter to Keenum and the University of Mississippi's chancellor. "If HB1083 is adopted to permit weapons in college sports venues, it is likely that competitors will decline opportunities to play in Oxford and Starkville, game officials will decline assignments, personal safety concerns will be used against Mississippi’s universities during the recruiting process and fan attendance will be negatively impacted."
    Does Sankey really wanna go anti-gun in the Deep South? He is a native New Yorker.

vCash
    Does Sankey really wanna go anti-gun in the Deep South? He is a native New Yorker.
    I believe Keenum is against it too, btw. Also, being against this provision, doesn't make you "anti-gun", 7.

ETA, I think you meant "come off as anti-gun", which he probably will, considering the binary thinking and hysteria common with these types of discussions.
    Last edited by BeardoMSU; 02-08-2018 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    This only applies to enhanced carry license holders. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one and/or can pass the requirements to obtain one. I'm on the fence, but for Sankey and the media to paint this as broad as they're trying is complete BS.
    He knows that.

vCash
    His stance isn’t anti-gun. I agree with him and I’m very pro gun rights.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I believe Keenum is against it too, btw. Also, being against this provision, doesn't make you "anti-gun", 7.
    I am not for this law. I do recognize that messing with someone?s gun will make you anti-gun in the south esp.

vCash
    I would never bring my weapon into a college sporting event, and i'm very pro gun rights. That being said Sankey probably should've kept this between him and the universities at this point. Discretion sometimes is a good thing.

vCash
    I am not for this law. I do recognize that messing with someone?s gun will make you anti-gun in the south esp.
    Gotcha. I had already edited my post by the time you posted this, btw.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I would never bring my weapon into a college sporting event, and i'm very pro gun rights. That being said Sankey probably should've kept this between him and the universities at this point. Discretion sometimes is a good thing.
    The problem with that is the idiots in Jackson who would continue on with it and screw state, ole miss and usm.

vCash
    The spirit of the law is obviously to create less soft targets. Maybe it would be a good idea for every SEC school to take those millions of dollars they are making at football games and beef up armed security even more.

A compromise will be made. The SEC commish and both presidents are opposing the bill, and you ain't taking the SEC out of Mississippi without a fight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    The problem with that is the idiots in Jackson who would continue on with it and screw state, ole miss and usm.
    You're probably right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Would you rather this been made public after it passes?

vCash
    Would you rather this been made public after it passes?
    Look, I'm not for this. But I want to know did Sankey try to address this privately without bringing the media into it. Sometimes things can be done without dragging it through the media and creating a bigger s***storm. That's all i'm saying. If that's what it takes to keep us from being screwed by the SEC then so be it.

vCash
    that passed the Mississippi house leaves little doubt that we will no longer be able to have SEC home games if athletic events aren?t exempted. It also hints that we might be removed from the SEC. I favor gun rights but this law is just stupid. Guns have no place in the hands of drunk fans at an athletic event.
    When did they start selling alcohol at games? Oh that's right, they don't.

Who's to say that guns aren't already in the stadium?

Pathetic that drunk fans are an argument against it and yet selling beer at stadiums is not even considered.

vCash
    https://www.facebook.com/repandygips...08731520520170

If link doesn't work:

Andy Gipson
    17 hrs ?
    So, today right after the House voted 80-29 to pass HB 1083, this carefully worded letter was released by the SEC. Two things are immediately obvious: 1) the SEC must not know that our State enhanced carry law has permitted concealed carry on campus including ball games since the passage of HB 506 in 2011; and 2) someone in the higher echelons of state bureaucracy is coordinating or attempting to coordinate a partial repeal of our State gun laws by veiled threats such as this. Only 29 Democrats voted against the bill today. Everyone who fought the bill today voted for it in 2011.

Is this evidence of the "deep state" manipulating and working against the people?
    Last edited by mparkerfd20; 02-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.