Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that recruiting is over- today I officially become Playoff34

vCash

Now that recruiting is over- today I officially become Playoff34

Mississippi State is going to win the SEC Title in 2018. Yep- I said it. I'm saying it loudly and proudly. We will be the best team in the SEC for 2018. I'm not just throwing something out there for no reason- everybody that reads me stuff knows I provide reasons. So here we go:

1. The SEC is a LOS League

4/5 starters return on the OL. Any coach will tell you that is huge for any team. Especially when that OL was considered to be very good the year before. Not only that- that open spot will be replaced by someone that made a couple of starts there last year. So now that new guy for 2018 has starting experience and has been in the fire. There is also depth in the OL with numerous upperclassmen.

Defensive line???? One of the best in the country with talented depth. Simmons? !st round draft pick. Sweat? SEC leader in sacks- 2-3 round draft pick. Chauncey Rivers? Scouts say he is a top 3 round draft talent. And let's dont forget about Spencer, Adams, Kobe Jones, and R-Fr Aaron Odom. Hoyett and Thomas rotated at DT last year and will again. Brown and Autry provide depth at DT. Super talented group that is top 3 in the SEC.

2. Playmaker at QB

Nick Fitz will simply be one of the SEC's best in 2018. He didnt finish in the top 5 of the SEC in rushing due to injury (8th)- but was an animal again in 2017 for the 1st 11 games. He will once again approach 1,000 yards rushing as a QB in 2018. Passing game? Will certainly improve with an infusion of talent and more experience at WR. You are also going to see him in a new system that SEC coaches wont be so familiar with. Then let's add that Fitz is a graduate- who will now have a lighter school load to focus more time on football. This will allow him more film time to scout or improve reads and mechanics. You're gonna see a guy working his craft to become as highly drafted as possible.

Let's also don't forget he has a more than capable back-up in KT. KT will get some game time in most games because he will be ready for it. Not simply garbage time.

3. Quality Skill Players

We have discussed the playmaker at QB and the quality OL- but what about the rest of the offense? The RB's are very good. Aeris Williams has proven that he is a quality SEC RB. Mr. Steady. He is not great at anything but is good at everything. Kylin Hill? NFL talent that has big play potential each time he touches the ball. With a Spring under his belt- he should be vastly improved on the little things RB's have to do. Nick Gibson is a solid #3.
    WR will be vastly improved. Malik Dear returns. Mixon is now a veteran. Insert a good juco talent in Guidry. Improved play from other returnees is expected. Can the talented freshman signees make an impact? One would think Jason does after going thru Spring practice. The TE's are very good with depth. Green is considered a top 10 returnee in the country at the position.

9 starters return on offense plus talent added at WR. Exciting times for a guy taking over considered one of the top OC's in the country.

4. Defense Wins Championships

We have already discussed the DL. Bottom line- one of the top groups in the country for 2018 with 2 All-SEC players returning and more being added. That is the foundation of a great defense.
    LB's? Errol Thompson proved he can play SEC football. Willie Gay really came on at the end of the season. Really good year from Gerri Green who finally showed that talent was there to match the hype. Leo Lewis wont have such a shitstorm around him off the field in 2018 and should resume playing the way he did as a Freshman.
    The Safetys are quality. McLaurin and Abram were our leading tacklers and are enforcers. Bryant had an improved 2017. Strong group
    CB has some questions but there are a couple of possible answers in Peters and Dantzler. Brian Cole gets added to the mix in 2018 also- another impact player

8 starters return on D along with plenty of guys that played in 2017. Plus impact players being added in Rivers and Cole. When was the last time you saw a good defense not named Alabama- 10th nationally in Total D- return 14 of its top 16 tacklers plus add more impact players? This is a championship winning D in 2018.

5. Schedule

It's the SEC- it wont ever be easy. We get the swing games at home. Florida, Auburn, A&M, and UPig. Got to win at home. At Kentucky? We are better. At Ole Miss? They are dangerous but their defense will be one of the league's worst. At LSU? No QB for them, we get the week off to get ready, and LSU plays Florida and Georgia the 2 weeks before us. At Alabama? Winner goes to Atlanta. We have to get the job done.

6. Coaching

Here is where things are less cut and dried but we do have a few clues.

JoMo has head coaching experience- Dan Mullen did not. Both considered to be very good OC's when they arrived in Starkville. Mullen made an immediate impact on the offense at State upon taking over. I expect the same from Moorhead- especially with a veteran group of guys. State will also not change alot on offense while making the switch. Both coaches were zone run- RPO coaches so the offense wont see a major overhaul. It will see more downfield throws as compared to West Coast horizontal passes that Mullen preferred.

Defensively, this is where you may see more changes. But when you have the kind of talent State has on D- the fewer chances you have to take. The less pressure you feel to outscheme your opponent. Let those guys ball out and attack. Grantham is a good defensive coach- but Grantham had alot better group on the field than Sirmon did as well. Shoop will have a more talented D than Grantham did- let that sink in.

Bottom line- JoMo has been a HC and wont be surprised by the little things or demands on his time that a HC has to deal with. I expect him to handle his first couple of years better than Mullen did because of it.

SugarBowl34
    HailState
    Last edited by Coach34; 02-09-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Great, great forecast. I like the new SugarBowl34.

HailState

vCash
    If MSU goes to the SugarBowl, how long before Ole Miss cranks up the Joe Moorhead to ..... university? He’s ready to get out of Starkville.

vCash
    My concern is whether or not Fitz will be 100% coming off the ankle injury. Yes, we've heard reports that his recovery is going well, and everyone *expects* him to make a full recovery, but we won't know for sure until he buckles the chin strap and steps back on the field. Until the, we just don't know.

vCash
    He is already out of his boot and walking now
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dental Dawg View Post
    If MSU goes to the SugarBowl, how long before Ole Miss cranks up the Joe Moorhead to ..... university? He’s ready to get out of Starkville.
    That coaching search dot com website the ole miss guy runs would be throwing Moorhead's name out there the day we were playing Alabama for the SEC West Title if this situation were to occur. They are not going to be able to take us being better than them record wise and us beating their brains out. It is going to drive them to JWS level infatuation until they find a way to get us down to their level again.

Banned
    vCash
    Outstanding post. I agree completely

vCash
    Can I change my handle to "TheDynastyIsDead"?

At least until Bammer wins the 874th NC in January?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Good read...lots of reasons to be excited. No doubt you bring the quality lumber on the sport you are well versed in.
    Last edited by shoeless joe; 02-08-2018 at 12:18 PM.

vCash
    If we win the West and go to the Sugar Bowl the Network will go back up, full speed ahead, NCAA be damned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Mississippi State is going to win the SEC Title in 2018. Yep- I said it. I'm saying it loudly and proudly. We will be the best team in the SEC for 2018. I'm not just throwing something out there for no reason- everybody that reads me stuff knows I provide reasons. So here we go:

1. The SEC is a LOS League

4/5 starters return on the OL. Any coach will tell you that is huge for any team. Especially when that OL was considered to be very good the year before. Not only that- that open spot will be replaced by someone that made a couple of starts there last year. So now that new guy for 2018 has starting experience and has been in the fire. There is also depth in the OL with numerous upperclassmen.

Defensive line???? One of the best in the country with talented depth. Simmons? !st round draft pick. Sweat? SEC leader in sacks- 2-3 round draft pick. Chauncey Rivers? Scouts say he is a top 3 round draft talent. And let's dont forget about Spencer, Adams, Kobe Jones, and R-Fr Aaron Odom. Hoyett and Thomas rotated at DT last year and will again. Brown and Autry provide depth at DT. Super talented group that is top 3 in the SEC.

2. Playmaker at QB

Nick Fitz will simply be one of the SEC's best in 2018. He didnt finish in the top 5 of the SEC in rushing due to injury (8th)- but was an animal again in 2017 for the 1st 11 games. He will once again approach 1,000 yards rushing as a QB in 2018. Passing game? Will certainly improve with an infusion of talent and more experience at WR. You are also going to see him in a new system that SEC coaches wont be so familiar with. Then let's add that Fitz is a graduate- who will now have a lighter school load to focus more time on football. This will allow him more film time to scout or improve reads and mechanics. You're gonna see a guy working his craft to become as highly drafted as possible.

Let's also don't forget he has a more than capable back-up in KT. KT will get some game time in most games because he will be ready for it. Not simply garbage time.

3. Quality Skill Players

Wehave discussed the playmaker at QB and the quality OL- but what about the rest of the offense? The RB's are very good. Aeris Williams has proven that he is a quality SEC RB. Mr. Steady. He is not great at anything but is good at everything. Kylin Hill? NFL talent that has big play potential each time he touches the ball. With a Spring under his belt- he should be vastly improved on the little things RB's have to do. Nick Gibson is a solid #3.
    WR will be vastly improved. Malik Dear returns. Mixon is now a veteran. Insert a good juco talent in Guidry. Improved play from other returnees is expected. Can the talented freshman signees make an impact? One would think Jason does after going thru Spring practice. The TE's are very good with depth. Green is considered a top 10 returnee in the country at the position.

9 starters return on offense plus talent added at WR. Exciting times for a guy taking over considered one of the top OC's in the country.

4. Defense Wins Championships

We have already discussed the DL. Bottom line- one of the top groups in the country for 2018 with 2 All-SEC players returning and more being added. That is the foundation of a great defense.
    LB's? Errol Thompson proved he can play SEC football. Willie Gay really came on at the end of the season. Really good year from Gerri Green who finally showed that talent was there to match the hype. Leo Lewis wont have such a shitstorm around him off the field in 2018 and should resume playing the way he did as a Freshman.
    The Safetys are quality. McLaurin and Abram were our leading tacklers and are enforcers. Bryant had an improved 2017. Strong group
    CB has some questions but there are a couple of possible answers in Peters and Dantzler. Brian Cole gets added to the mix in 2018 also- another impact player

8 starters return on D along with plenty of guys that played in 2017. Plus impact players being added in Rivers and Cole. When was the last time you saw a good defense not named Alabama- 10th nationally in Total D- return 14 of its top 16 tacklers plus add more impact players? This is a championship winning D in 2018.

5. Schedule

It's the SEC- it wont ever be easy. We get the swing games at home. Florida, Auburn, A&M, and UPig. Got to win at home. At Kentucky? We are better. At Ole Miss? They are dangerous but their defense will be one of the league's worst. At LSU? No QB for them, we get the week off to get ready, and LSU plays Florida and Georgia the 2 weeks before us. At Alabama? Winner goes to Atlanta. We have to get the job done.

6. Coaching

Hereis where things are less cut and dried but we do have a few clues.

JoMo has head coaching experience- Dan Mullen did not. Both considered to be very good OC's when they arrived in Starkville. Mullen made an immediate impact on the offense at State upon taking over. I expect the same from Moorhead- especially with a veteran group of guys. State will also not change alot on offense while making the switch. Both coaches were zone run- RPO coaches so the offense wont see a major overhaul. It will see more downfield throws as compared to West Coast horizontal passes that Mullen preferred.

Defensively, this is where you may see more changes. But when you have the kind of talent State has on D- the fewer chances you have to take. The less pressure you feel to outscheme your opponent. Let those guys ball out and attack. Grantham is a good defensive coach- but Grantham had alot better group on the field than Sirmon did as well. Shoop will have a more talented D than Grantham did- let that sink in.

Bottom line- JoMo has been a HC and wont be surprised by the little things or demands on his time that a HC has to deal with. I expect him to handle his first couple of years better than Mullen did because of it.

SugarBowl34
    HailState
    Agree 100% but I remember 2000.

vCash

vCash
    It took Penn State around 5 games to get rolling in JoMos offense. If we can avoid slip ups at K state and vs Florida, it could be a really fun year.

vCash
    I think we are a lot better right now than Penn State was when JoeMo was getting them started.

vCash
    C34,

Agreed

I think Moorhead is about to go Doug Peterson on the SEC next year.

I?ve been struggling to find Moorhead?s coaching comp, but, after learning more about Doug Peterson, from a background, personality, demeanor, and offensive scheme standpoint, I think they are very similar.

I think we are going to see more aggression and play with less self inflicted pressure against elite teams. Also, due to Moorhead being an elite and significantly better communicator than Dan, your going to see a team that executes better under pressure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    C34,

Agreed

I think Moorhead is about to go Doug Peterson on the SEC next year.

I?ve been struggling to find Moorhead?s coaching comp, but, after learning more about Doug Peterson, from a background, personality, demeanor, and offensive scheme standpoint, I think they are very similar.

I think we are going to see more aggression and play with less self inflicted pressure against elite teams. Also, due to Moorhead being an elite and significantly better communicator than Dan, your going to see a team that executes better under pressure.
    Dead-on here, Gun. Pederson and Moorheads offenses are very similar. Good comp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    It took Penn State around 5 games to get rolling in JoMos offense. If we can avoid slip ups at K state and vs Florida, it could be a really fun year.
    This is worthy of note

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    True but Penn State started at bad on offense and went to good.

We are starting at pretty good on offense.

So, yes, it may take Moorhead 5 games to get this offense significantly better but he’s starting from a significantly higher baseline than where Penn State’s offense was at the time he took over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    today I officially become SugarBowl34
    Weird thing is, the only way this new name truly sticks is if we don't make it to the Sugar Bowl. Then it's yours for life. Just ask Steve aka Rosebowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    True but Penn State started at bad on offense and went to good.

We are starting at pretty good on offense.

So, yes, it may take Moorhead 5 games to get this offense significantly better but he’s starting from a significantly higher baseline than where Penn State’s offense was at the time he took over
    Also, as SB34 mentioned the offense we ran and Joe's are very similar Zone-RPO systems which won't require a whole lot of relearning. Joe's has a more vertical passing concept, while ours was more horizontal, but very similar. PSU was running more of a more pro style offense when Joe got there so the learning curve was much greater. That plus we have an experienced QB which should help tremendously. I think we take off rather quickly this season.