Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Smith...when are these kids going to get it?

vCash

Eddie Smith...when are these kids going to get it?

Bama signed the #1, #13, and #14 High School CB's and the #1 JUCO CB in their class. Eddie is the #42 CB that also signed with Bama. He could have come to MSU and competed immediately for playing time.

Saban did exactly what he wanted with this one. He kept MSU from getting stronger by taking Smith. I bet he won't be on Bama's roster in a couple years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    Bama signed the #1, #13, and #14 High School CB's and the #1 JUCO CB in their class. Eddie is the #42 CB that also signed with Bama. He could have come to MSU and competed immediately for playing time.

Saban did exactly what he wanted with this one. He kept MSU from getting stronger by taking Smith. I bet he won't be on Bama's roster in a couple years.
    It's a name brand. He will RS this year and be ready to play in 3-4 years when those guys ranked ahead of him leave as juniors. So he will sit 3 years to play 1 or 2. But it will be at Bama.

vCash
    Eddie's cousin is also the Bama WR that caught the game winning TD in the NC game.

So in many ways, I think it's a pride issue.

It is frustrating though

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    It wasn't done to keep him from MSU. Saban just loads up on as much talent as he can and processes the ones that don't pan out. Kids that sign with Alabama when there are multiple 5 star athletes at their position are basically idiots. Scott Lashley is a prime example of extremely stupid decision making by him and his family. There are hundreds of others just like him and not only at Alabama. It's one thing to come in and sit for 2 years and play 3 as a RS soph. To come in and compete against 2 and 3 5 star prospects at your position that isn't even up for grabs because there's a returning starter there is just ignorant.
    Last edited by Jarius; 02-07-2018 at 03:08 PM.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I won't be surprised if Eddie plays at Bama as a RS Freshman.

vCash
    Who’s to say Eddie won’t play there in 2-3 years or sooner?
    They had a starting CB this year that was a walk-on
    Eddie Smith is very talented.
    That would have been a HUGE get for us.

vCash
    Saban clearly didn't have him rated as the #42 CB. He did his own evaluation and found him worthy of an offer and it didn't have anything to do with MSU. I obviously hate it b/c we have struck out at corner with this class and I really like Eddie Smith. He is a player.

vCash
    Eddie is a really good HS player- but he doesnt see himself as the #42 rated CB in the country. He thinks he is a top 5 in the country guy that will play at Bama and then in 3 years declare for the draft. These kids rarely have self-awareness. Plus- they dont really care about college- they are all about making it to the NFL. Bama is a leader in producing NFL players.

I had a kid at LC that was just an honorable mention all-conference player ask me if I had contacted A&M and LSU for him. East Central CC is not even looking to sign this kid- and he thinks A&M and LSU would want him. Dead serious.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Also Eddie going there and Bama siging a handful of Cbs will help us Brandon Turnage next year.
    I bet he ends up a Dawg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Also Eddie going there and Bama siging a handful of Cbs will help us Brandon Turnage next year.
    I bet he ends up a Dawg.
    Very true. I'd gladly make that trade if it comes to be

vCash

It's Alabama. He wanted a scholarship from Bama. If Bama hadn't offered then we should have gotten him. Saban had said they were going to take a number of CBs. He was the next available on their list. This wasn't a screw MSU plot. It was based upon what Saban thought Bama's needs were.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Eddie is a really good HS player- but he doesnt see himself as the #42 rated CB in the country. He thinks he is a top 5 in the country guy that will play at Bama and then in 3 years declare for the draft. These kids rarely have self-awareness. Plus- they dont really care about college- they are all about making it to the NFL. Bama is a leader in producing NFL players.

I had a kid at LC that was just an honorable mention all-conference player ask me if I had contacted A&M and LSU for him. East Central CC is not even looking to sign this kid- and he thinks A&M and LSU would want him. Dead serious.
    Kind of off topic, but I'm curious why you player asked about A&M over MSU or OM?

What is the draw to A&M? Are they considered a sexy school by Mississippi high school kids? If so, why?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I bet he ends up a Dawg.
    Zero effect on Turnage. See C34's post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

So you're saying some of them are legends in their own minds?******

vCash
    I get that from an MSU perspective, but I'll never fault a kid for having the mindset that he can go in to the top program in the country, beat other top prospects, and be a top player, IF he has the proper work ethic. Now if you just think you're some super star and don't have to earn it then yeah I'm with you. No idea how Eddie felt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Zero effect on Turnage. See C34's post.

We were going to be in it for Turnage regardless next year , but with this many CB signed by Bama this year and Turnage being a Ms guy this won’t hurt at all . 2 of those CB ( P Surtain Jr for sure ) will play as true fresh maybe 3
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 02-07-2018 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    It's a name brand. He will RS this year and be ready to play in 3-4 years when those guys ranked ahead of him leave as juniors. So he will sit 3 years to play 1 or 2. But it will be at Bama.
    Maybe I just notice the superstars, but it seems like a lot of Bama players, particularly on defense, either get on the field early or get surpassed by new signees. So if a player isn't good enough to play as a second or third year player, it seems just as likely that they get processed or ride the pine behind a younger player than it does that they get starter's minutes as a RS Jr and RS Sr.

vCash

They all think they can play. Most of them anyway, but all of the good ones. I don't blame the guy. Go compete. If he had come here because he was too chicken shit to compete at bama well, I didn't want him anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Kind of off topic, but I'm curious why you player asked about A&M over MSU or OM?

What is the draw to A&M? Are they considered a sexy school by Mississippi high school kids? If so, why?
    small town kids dreaming of the bigtime and wanting out of Miss
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Saban did exactly what he wanted with this one. He kept MSU from getting stronger by taking Smith.
    Bear Bryant did the same thing but worse when there was no scholly limitations
    No Signature