Page 5 of 392 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Recruiting Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Kid had no offers but OM and was unranked, yet upon committing to Ole Miss is ranked an 88 and the number 14 overall player in Mississippi

There?s recruiting rankings for you right there.
    This makes too much sense

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Hudson's little bro View Post
    That's what I meant when I said I can't wait to see what kind of out-of-stater's Huff brings in. He fishes in the deep water...

Speaking of fishing in the deep water...appears we've offered OLB Avery Huff from STA. Any insight on this offer?

https://twitter.com/Averyhuff9/statu...35434531819520

vCash
    https://247sports.com/college/missis...hool-115029095

Looks like Bama is moving in on Pickering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    https://247sports.com/college/missis...hool-115029095

Looks like Bama is moving in on Pickering.
    Relax

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual Underachiever View Post
    Speaking of fishing in the deep water...appears we've offered OLB Avery Huff from STA. Any insight on this offer?

https://twitter.com/Averyhuff9/statu...35434531819520
    Other offers Alabama, Louisville & Miami.

vCash
    Kid had no offers but OM and was unranked, yet upon committing to Ole Miss is ranked an 88 and the number 14 overall player in Mississippi

There?s recruiting rankings for you right there.

I get it. Because it's a kid that committed to OM you want there to be some conspiracy around his ranking. But the reality is this exact situation has happened on our end several times.

MSU/OM get a commit from an unranked kid. Paul/David submit their ranking request and suggesting to the national guys, they get an initial ranking usually within 24 hours.

85-88 is the wheelhouse for where these kids are usually ranked upon initial review.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    I get it. Because it's a kid that committed to OM you want there to be some conspiracy around his ranking. But the reality is this exact situation has happened on our end several times.

MSU/OM get a commit from an unranked kid. Paul/David submit their ranking request and suggesting to the national guys, they get an initial ranking usually within 24 hours.

85-88 is the wheelhouse for where these kids are usually ranked upon initial review.
    My problem is they consistently still rank our guys way too low and it hurts our rankings. I'm not sure how many 8-9 win seasons we have to have before they realize that we're not some flash in the pan program.

I don't know what the solution is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    My problem is they consistently still rank our guys way too low and it hurts our rankings. I'm not sure how many 8-9 win seasons we have to have before they realize that we're not some flash in the pan program.

I don't know what the solution is.
    Ignoring is the solution. Analyst recruiting opinions do not win football games. You also also win nothing by recruiting rankings. The measure is do you trust the coaches evaluation? You don't get a trophy for recruiting rankings.

vCash
    Rankings are based on money, not talent. Plus, those guys can’t determine talent any better than the average fan. I mean, they let people like Shurbutt rank guys. It’s all a scam to get your $10+ a month. Not a lot different than that bullshit NSR recruiting crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Ignoring is the solution. Analyst recruiting opinions do not win football games. You also also win nothing by recruiting rankings. The measure is do you trust the coaches evaluation? You don't get a trophy for recruiting rankings.
    I agree to a degree in that is how it "should be" but the fact of the matter is people like Ole Miss use the rankings to rally support even after they go 2-10 and that perception helps their program. And I guarantee you that if our rankings were good on paper it would help our perception and program too. It's just that MSU hasn't really gotten into it. Mainly because of Dan.

vCash
    I agree to a degree in that is how it "should be" but the fact of the matter is people like Ole Miss use the rankings to rally support even after they go 2-10 and that perception helps their program. And I guarantee you that if our rankings were good on paper it would help our perception and program too. It's just that MSU hasn't really gotten into it. Mainly because of Dan.
    This

Only people that haven't paid attention or live in some college football utopia still say that recruiting rankings don't matter. They do. They build the perception & in many cases the statistical profile & define the ceiling of your program.

vCash
    This

Only people that haven't paid attention or live in some college football utopia still say that recruiting rankings don't matter. They do. They build the perception & in many cases the statistical profile & define the ceiling of your program.
    Exactly. And if you go look at recruiting rankings there is absolutely a correlation to performance and rankings. I think people just like to say they don?t matter to try and justify where we have finished in the past.

Now have we overperformed against our recruiting ranking? Probably so. But the data very clearly shows that unless you are Top 10 in recruiting at least every other year with a consistent Top 15, you aren?t going to make the playoffs. We have gotten close, but more talent would help. What would happen if we pulled in a kid like Simmons every year? Can?t tell me we wouldn?t be better and have more chances to win games we typically lose. If you?ve got better players, you win more frequently plain and simple. Coaching does matter, but very rarely anymore do you see teams with a lot of talent have awful coaching. They go hand in hand more than they ever have before.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 02-14-2018 at 09:47 AM.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I think there's a correlation but I also think the correlation comes from the teams then rankings not the other way around. The top 50-100 kids are easy to spot they stick out like a sore thumb. After that it gets tough. Well what's the easiest way to rank them well who are the top schools offering/committing? Oh he has a legit Bama offer? Move him up if he's good enough for Saban he has to be a top prospect. Ohio St took his commitment? Move him up because Urban isn't just taking anybody. People have to remember recruiting sites are entertainment these aren't "experts". If they were they would already be on Saban staff. You're paying for entertainment not exact rankings.

vCash
    This

Nah. Outside the top handful of teams, nobody knows where the rest rank in recruiting. You don't see FL or LSU beating their chests for finishing in the teens in recruiting. Recruiting rankings are fools gold. Hell, AL isn't even happy with a top 10 class. It's not the rankings that help teams. It's the marketing of those teams as a whole and the school. You get way more bump out of winning games than recruiting rankings.

vCash
    I disagree. It's great message board discussion and highschool player ego's. Outside of that it's pointless

vCash
    2019 Early Big board coming soon. Will get up with my guys and contacts before spring ball cranks up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Nah. Outside the top handful of teams, nobody knows where the rest rank in recruiting. You don't see FL or LSU beating their chests for finishing in the teens in recruiting. Recruiting rankings are fools gold. Hell, AL isn't even happy with a top 10 class. It's not the rankings that help teams. It's the marketing of those teams as a whole and the school. You get way more bump out of winning games than recruiting rankings.
    True, but they go hand in hand. If you don't have the top recruits, it's virtually impossible to win on a consistent basis. You can have a couple years or in a one game setting like UCF you can beat a big time team. But consistently the best teams have the best talent and that's why they win games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    2019 Early Big board coming soon. Will get up with my guys and contacts before spring ball cranks up.
    Awesome! I'm ready for this thread to get back to recruits names and rumors about said recruits. There's too much garbage being posted in this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I think there's a correlation but I also think the correlation comes from the teams then rankings not the other way around. The top 50-100 kids are easy to spot they stick out like a sore thumb. After that it gets tough. Well what's the easiest way to rank them well who are the top schools offering/committing? Oh he has a legit Bama offer? Move him up if he's good enough for Saban he has to be a top prospect. Ohio St took his commitment? Move him up because Urban isn't just taking anybody. People have to remember recruiting sites are entertainment these aren't "experts". If they were they would already be on Saban staff. You're paying for entertainment not exact rankings.
    Now this is the truth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    True, but they go hand in hand. If you don't have the top recruits, it's virtually impossible to win on a consistent basis. You can have a couple years or in a one game setting like UCF you can beat a big time team. But consistently the best teams have the best talent and that's why they win games.
    Which is why I said outside of the top handful of teams. Because those teams are getting the top talent every year almost no matter what. And those kids could be rated by a blind man.