Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EPL 2018 Thread

vCash

EPL 2018 Thread

Been a while since we've done one of these, so thought I'd start one.

City running away with the league, although they've looked somewhat mortal the last couple of weeks. ManU is the best of the pack fighting for spots 2-4. Chelski is in a really bad run of form. Liverpool are Liverpool - Up and down, not a lot of consistency. Sp*rs are Sp*rs, although they're getting healthy and could make a run. Arsenal looked really good against Everton after adding Mkhitaryan and Aubamayeng during the January transfer window. We'll know a lot more about them after the North London Derby over the weekend.

Leicester look like a lock for a Europa league spot. Watford looking a little better lately. And you always gotta keep an eye out for Burnley & Bournemouth. Newcastle is struggling after a hot start, but don't seem to be in relegation danger. Huddersfield is playing well and looks set to stay in the PL. Swansea, Southampton, West Brom, and Stoke are garbage. Going to be a tough slog to avoid relegation and a couple of "bigger" clubs will go down, I think.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Been a while since we've done one of these, so thought I'd start one.

City running away with the league, although they've looked somewhat mortal the last couple of weeks. ManU is the best of the pack fighting for spots 2-4. Chelski is in a really bad run of form. Liverpool are Liverpool - Up and down, not a lot of consistency. Sp*rs are Sp*rs, although they're getting healthy and could make a run. Arsenal looked really good against Everton after adding Mkhitaryan and Aubamayeng during the January transfer window. We'll know a lot more about them after the North London Derby over the weekend.

Leicester look like a lock for a Europa league spot. Watford looking a little better lately. And you always gotta keep an eye out for Burnley & Bournemouth. Newcastle is struggling after a hot start, but don't seem to be in relegation danger. Huddersfield is playing well and looks set to stay in the PL. Swansea, Southampton, West Brom, and Stoke are garbage. Going to be a tough slog to avoid relegation and a couple of "bigger" clubs will go down, I think.
    I never see these threads because I never come to this board.

Newcastle has been steadily inching towards the relegation zone since about October and I think we finally fall into it this weekend. Whether we get out or not will pretty much be dependent on if Islam Slimani hits the ground running for us. He had decent stats at Leicester but was obviously never going to usurp Vardy in the starting role, so its hard to tell what we?re getting. There were talks about Mike Ashley finally selling the club and things were looking up from about September to November, then the takeover fell through and its back to the same old stuff. Rafa needed 2-3 good players to hopefully keep us up and wanted them by Jan 15 so they would be ready for crucial games against Burnley and Crystal Palace in late January...Ashley gets 2 players on loan, neither in time for the Burnley match, one in time for the CP match. Rafa is what?s keeping the Newcastle fans tame, I can?t imagine him staying after this season unless takeover talks pick back up, and once he?s gone Newcastle fans will be back to fulfilling all the negative stereotypes they?re known for.

vCash
    Besides Newcastle, this season has been thoroughly entertaining. The difference between like 9th place and 19th place is only 7 points right now and was even tighter 2 weeks ago. Its one of the unique aspects of non-American sports that I?ve really come to appreciate: that the teams that aren?t competing for the title have just as much, if not more, to play for as the teams at the top of the table. If the EPL was set up like any American sports league, there would only be 6 teams playing for anything at all right now, and there would probably be 2-3 teams at the bottom of the table tanking on purpose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I never see these threads because I never come to this board.

Newcastle has been steadily inching towards the relegation zone since about October and I think we finally fall into it this weekend. Whether we get out or not will pretty much be dependent on if Islam Slimani hits the ground running for us. He had decent stats at Leicester but was obviously never going to usurp Vardy in the starting role, so its hard to tell what we?re getting. There were talks about Mike Ashley finally selling the club and things were looking up from about September to November, then the takeover fell through and its back to the same old stuff. Rafa needed 2-3 good players to hopefully keep us up and wanted them by Jan 15 so they would be ready for crucial games against Burnley and Crystal Palace in late January...Ashley gets 2 players on loan, neither in time for the Burnley match, one in time for the CP match. Rafa is what?s keeping the Newcastle fans tame, I can?t imagine him staying after this season unless takeover talks pick back up, and once he?s gone Newcastle fans will be back to fulfilling all the negative stereotypes they?re known for.
    It's a shame how poorly Newcastle is run. I empathize, as Hull has been in the same boat for a few years. The owners want to sell but are greedy and keep asking for more than anyone is reasonably willing to pay for the club and refuse to invest any further in it since they're selling. Now they're trying to avoid being relegated from the PL and the Championship in consecutive seasons. It's a shitty situation for everyone.

Sucks that you didn't land Sturridge. He'd have been a nice attacking upgrade for you. Hopefully you can stave off relegation, get the club sold, keep Rafa, and upgrade in the summer.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Chelsea has been a disappointment to say the least. Lots of rumors of Conte leaving

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Chelsea has been a disappointment to say the least. Lots of rumors of Conte leaving
    #WengerOut, #ConteIn

Seriously, I'd kill for Arsenal to hire Conte if Chelsea fires him. The dude is one hell of a coach. One of the elites in world football, imo. He'd solve so many of the problems Arsenal have right now. I just hope Chelsea is stupid enough to sack him. So he's pissed at the board for criticizing them for not supporting him in the transfer market? Get over it and let the dude do his job. He's earned some support considering he won the league and had a shot at the double in his first year in the EPL.

Seven hells, I'd do whatever it takes to bring him to Arsenal.

vCash
    #WengerOut, #ConteIn

Seriously, I'd kill for Arsenal to hire Conte if Chelsea fires him. The dude is one hell of a coach. One of the elites in world football, imo. He'd solve so many of the problems Arsenal have right now. I just hope Chelsea is stupid enough to sack him. So he's pissed at the board for criticizing them for not supporting him in the transfer market? Get over it and let the dude do his job. He's earned some support considering he won the league and had a shot at the double in his first year in the EPL.

Seven hells, I'd do whatever it takes to bring him to Arsenal.
    yup they'd be dumb to let him go. In other news, there's talk of Chelsea making a run at Christian Pulisic this summer. I think that would be freaking awesome. Need to fight off others for Hazard and Willian though

vCash
    What little I have watched of EPL, I seemed to gravitate to Arsenal. Not sure if it is just purely because of the badass cannon on their logo or what but I have kept up with them a little more than the others. For someone who isn't a big soccer fan, what is the best EPL team to follow for an attacking style? I like to watch more of the fast break type rather than a team that is more defensive minded. Also what is the difference in how they coordinate their players? Is it similar to having more strikers instead of defenders is kind of like going 5 wide in football vs the I formation?

I have now went to my first soccer game when I went and watched Atlanta United. It is a great atmosphere and I had a blast. I would just like to learn more and I know MLS is kind of like watching A ball vs MLB level. EPL I know is a big step up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    What little I have watched of EPL, I seemed to gravitate to Arsenal. Not sure if it is just purely because of the badass cannon on their logo or what but I have kept up with them a little more than the others. For someone who isn't a big soccer fan, what is the best EPL team to follow for an attacking style? I like to watch more of the fast break type rather than a team that is more defensive minded. Also what is the difference in how they coordinate their players? Is it similar to having more strikers instead of defenders is kind of like going 5 wide in football vs the I formation?

I have now went to my first soccer game when I went and watched Atlanta United. It is a great atmosphere and I had a blast. I would just like to learn more and I know MLS is kind of like watching A ball vs MLB level. EPL I know is a big step up.
    It just depends on what you want, honestly. Managers change so much now that no team tends to keep a style for very long. Right now the best pure attacking teams in the EPL are Man City and Liverpool. Chelsea and Man U are more defensive oriented right now. The Sp*rs are somewhere in the middle, a good balance. Arsenal is a ****ing mess and will be until Wenger goes. Man City now is what Arsenal used to be 10-20 years ago. If you like Atlanta United (I do too!), then I'd recommend following City or Liverpool. City might have the best team in the history of the EPL right now, which pains me to say as an Arsenal fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post

What you described is Liverpool.

vCash
    It just depends on what you want, honestly. Managers change so much now that no team tends to keep a style for very long. Right now the best pure attacking teams in the EPL are Man City and Liverpool. Chelsea and Man U are more defensive oriented right now. The Sp*rs are somewhere in the middle, a good balance. Arsenal is a ****ing mess and will be until Wenger goes. Man City now is what Arsenal used to be 10-20 years ago. If you like Atlanta United (I do too!), then I'd recommend following City or Liverpool. City might have the best team in the history of the EPL right now, which pains me to say as an Arsenal fan.
    Best single year team in the EPL era (only goes back to the early 90s) were the Untouchables of Arsenal. That isn't debatable. They did not lose a game.

vCash
    Well that sucked.

vCash
    Wow, the scenes at West Ham. They hate their ground and this has been brewing for a while.

vCash
    FOUR for the King of Egypt on the snowey Fields of Anfield Road today. If we can keep him, and I like what I'm hearing on that front, the future is bright.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 03-18-2018 at 12:24 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Best single year team in the EPL era (only goes back to the early 90s) were the Untouchables of Arsenal. That isn't debatable. They did not lose a game.
    This city team is, and will finish, better. They will break every record arsenal set. One loss doesn?t change that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    This city team is, and will finish, better. They will break every record arsenal set. One loss doesn?t change that.
    I may be an Arsenal fan, but I'm man enough to admit this City team is better than Wenger's Invincibles. I think it'd be one hell of a match if they played, but City probably just edges the Invincibles. They're deeper than the Arsenal unbeaten squad, although I think the Invincibles would have the edge in physicality. Probably comes down to the managers, Wenger in his prime & Pep in his.

vCash
    Except they lost a league game. THAT record is beyond them. Oh, and Arsenal did it without a megarich sugar daddy playing with his toys either.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 03-20-2018 at 12:24 PM.

vCash
    Except they lost a league game. THAT record is beyond them. Oh, and Arsenal did it without a megarich sugar daddy playing with his toys either.
    This City team is better than that arsenal team.

vCash
    This City team is better than that arsenal team.
    But they lost a game.

vCash
    But they lost a game.
    That doesn?t change a thing