3. MacNamee, RF
    4. Vansau, DH
    5. Allen, 3B
    6. Hatcher, 1B
    7. LA, SS
    8. Gilbert, C
    9. Jordan, LF

Foscue still in the mix at 3B as well.

Big news that both Keegan James and Blake Smith pitched well yesterday. Nuke Laloosh (credit to c34) was hitting 93 on the gun today.

vCash
    New names to me. Cannot wait to learn about them

vCash
    McQuary is still a little wild, hopefully its just preseason jitters and he will mellow out. Really like his velo though.

vCash
    I would have thought that Allen and Jordan's positions would be switched but I know Allen can handle third base.

I don't have a good feeling about McQuary as far as this year. I think he's going to be one of those guys that figures it out when he is a junior. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    I think you are pretty much dead on. We may see Allen in LF with Foscue at 3rd, but your predictions are almost exactly how I see it. Hatcher seems to have taken control at first and Allen?s bat is probably going to be too good to keep on the bench. I haven?t felt this good about our offense at any other point this offseason. Freshmen look like they can contribute.

On the mound, if James is ready to start games for us that is HUGE and would make me feel very good about where we stand depth-wise. As you said, he pitched three innings this weekend and looked great. We could then move Billingsley to the pen to give us a strikeout type of pitcher with an elite out pitch. France could start midweek. I know the league is loaded with arms this year- but a weekend combination of Pilkington, Small, and James would be as electric as anyone as far as ?stuff? goes.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    McQuary is still a little wild, hopefully its just preseason jitters and he will mellow out. Really like his velo though.
    McQuary’s fastball is more than just velocity- it has great action as well. Having a swing-and-miss, power fastball like that is a great starting point. The breaking ball is pretty good too... But his stuff is more than a little wild. He’s all over the place. Think Evan Mitchell 2.0. He’d be the best relief pitcher on the team if he figured out how to put the ball within a foot of where it needs to be.

vCash
    Rowdey Jordan is prolly one of the best names in MS State history

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    I think you are pretty much dead on. We may see Allen in LF with Foscue at 3rd, but your predictions are almost exactly how I see it. Hatcher seems to have taken control at first and Allen?s bat is probably going to be too good to keep on the bench. I haven?t felt this good about our offense at any other point this offseason. Freshmen look like they can contribute.

On the mound, if James is ready to start games for us that is HUGE and would make me feel very good about where we stand depth-wise. As you said, he pitched three innings this weekend and looked great. We could then move Billingsley to the pen to give us a strikeout type of pitcher with an elite out pitch. France could start midweek. I know the league is loaded with arms this year- but a weekend combination of Pilkington, Small, and James would be as electric as anyone as far as ?stuff? goes.
    I wouldn't count on France pitching much for a little while.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    What about Jordan Anderson? He was the highest rated freshman that made it to campus.

vCash
    What has happened to France?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post
    What has happened to France?
    Elbow inflammation. A lot of times that means Tommy John surgery. But we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    What about Jordan Anderson? He was the highest rated freshman that made it to campus.
    I bet he plays a good bit. We'll sort things out as the season goes along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    looks like the current starting lineup is something like this:
    1. Mangum, CF
    2. Stoval, 2B
    3. MacNamee, RF
    4. Vansau, DH
    5. Allen, 3B
    6. Hatcher, 1B
    7. LA, SS
    8. Gilbert, C
    9. Jordan, LF
    I'll be shocked if Tanner Poole isn't our right fielder. Cannizaro loves that guy's defensive ability.

vCash
    If Tanner Poole starts I will be highly disappointed. He's terrible at plate and one of the worst I've seen at MSU in my 40+ years. He is great defensively but I am hoping one of the young guys steps up.

vCash
    Can Poole maybe I don’t know improved during the off-season? I know that’s a crazy thought

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wet Dawg View Post
    If Tanner Poole starts I will be highly disappointed. He's terrible at plate and one of the worst I've seen at MSU in my 40+ years. He is great defensively but I am hoping one of the young guys steps up.
    Easy....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wet Dawg View Post
    Poole's major issue is his swing plane, and inability to hit the curve...which goes hand in hand. If he could become servicible at the plate I'd take him and his D in the line-up. But something like that is extremely difficult to change at this level and age so cann would really be a magic man if he can pull that off.

vCash
    Interesting first lineup.

(1) Whats the deal with Dustin Skelton? This is a highly rated and drafted player, what are his areas of improvement to become a starter?

(2) How did Rowdey Jordan become an OF and beat-out Jordan Anderson?

vCash
    If France is on the shelf awhile- look for Laloosh to be our midweek starter at worst. As another poster said- he is a swing and miss guy. Live ball.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Interesting first lineup.

(1) Whats the deal with Dustin Skelton? This is a highly rated and drafted player, what are his areas of improvement to become a starter?

(2) How did Rowdey Jordan become an OF and beat-out Jordan Anderson?
    Skelton is still in the competition for catcher, hear he is better defensively than Gilbert. Gilbert i believe will be a lock for the lineup as a DH, or catcher some days.