Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSU enrollment question or help

vCash

MSU enrollment question or help

My wife and I are both MSU alums. We live in Mississippi. My son is in high school and has submitted his ACT score to MSU and a few others schools. He has a great GPA and ACT score. He's getting tons of mail from other schools. I'm not sure that he has gotten one piece from MSU. Nothing. He wants to go to MSU but is getting discouraged. Other schools are blowing him up with mail or emails, including some he didn't even send a score to. What's our deal?

vCash
    What's he want to do? Engineering? Law? Medicine? Business?
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    What's he want to do? Engineering? Law? Medicine? Business?
    Undecided, but leaning toward engineering. Perfect GPA, has taken AP classes, 34 ACT. Both parents are MSU grads and we can't seem to buy a piece of mail from MSU. He's spent tons of time on campus at games and such over the years and 90% of his closet is maroon. Auburn and others are loading him up.

vCash
    Dang Hevesy....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Undecided, but leaning toward engineering. Perfect GPA, has taken AP classes, 34 ACT. Both parents are MSU grads and we can't seem to buy a piece of mail from MSU. He's spent tons of time on campus at games and such over the years and 90% of his closet is maroon. Auburn and others are loading him up.
    That is odd. Has MSU even offered a scholarship? You don't have to tell me an amount.. But yes, I find this to be a bit odd
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    It is odd. My daughter only scored 26 on act, she has a 3.9 gpa and State sends her stuff every week sometimes 3 or 4 times. Even sent her birthday cards.

vCash
    That is odd. Has MSU even offered a scholarship? You don't have to tell me an amount.. But yes, I find this to be a bit odd
    He's just a junior. He hasn't applied anywhere yet. But no mail at all. I find it odd, and disappointing honestly. Because he gets tons of stuff daily, even if it's just generic mass mailers, from other schools. Especially with us living in state and my wife and I both being graduates.

vCash
    He's just a junior. He hasn't applied anywhere yet. But no mail at all. I find it odd, and disappointing honestly. Because he gets tons of stuff daily, even if it's just generic mass mailers, from other schools. Especially with us living in state and my wife and I both being graduates.
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about it too much then. He keeps that GPA with that ACT score and applies to State next year... they'll be begging. Especially for engineering
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about it too much then. He keeps that GPA with that ACT score and applies to State next year... they'll be begging. Especially for engineering
    He's smarter than both his parents obviously, but I find our student recruiting on this behind the other schools at this point. That's my concern. Mass mailers come in every day from somebody. I just wonder why MSU doesn't do it to match others. Because he is noticing the void.

vCash
    He's smarter than both his parents obviously, but I find our student recruiting on this behind the other schools at this point. That's my concern. Mass mailers come in every day from somebody. I just wonder why MSU doesn't do it to match others. Because he is noticing the void.
    Education is not about mass mailing. I'm not sure why they aren't sending him mail.. it could be a mistake.. I'm not sure who you could call about that, but I'm sure there is somebody if you go to msstate.edu and look around. College is about making connections and doing what is best for your job opportunities. If State is that, then don't worry about how many times he received mail from them.. if it's another school, then great. Point is, mail as a junior for an academic scholarship is not the end all, be all.
    LFC YNWA

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Fill this out. We did this my daughters junior year and get stuff all the time.

https://www.admissions.msstate.edu/request/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post

Thought there would be something.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    It sounds to me like you had a high school councilor like we did. She was a hindrance, not a help. We had to do it totally own our own. Our son had a 32 and got a near full ride at MSU. At 34 yours should have at least that. The thing is you have to pursue it if you want him at MSU. The hard truth is that MSU is bursting at the seams. We want to be bigger, but the current infrastructure just won't support it. We are trying but it is what it is. If you want him at MSU you have to actively go after it. Sitting back won't help. Heck, with that ACT, just apply and send the score to MSU. He will get ample money, and it won't be a fight to get it. You just have to take the initiative.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 02-02-2018 at 01:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It sounds to me like you had a high school councilor like we did. She was a hindrance, not a help. We had to do it totally own our own. Our son had a 32 and got a near full ride at MSU. At 34 yours should have at least that. The thing is you have to pursue it if you want him at MSU. The hard truth is that MSU is bursting at the seams. We want to be bigger, but the current infrastructure just won't support it. We are trying but it is what it is. If you want him at MSU you have tthe actively go after it. Sitting back won't help. Heck p, with that ACT, just apply and send the score to MSU. He will get ample money, and it won't be a fight to get it. You just have to take the initiative.
    By the way, we never got mass mailings, or any other kind unsolicited, from MSU either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It sounds to me like you had a high school councilor like we did. She was a hindrance, not a help. We had to do it totally own our own. Our son had a 32 and got a near full ride at MSU. At 34 yours should have at least that. The thing is you have to pursue it if you want him at MSU. The hard truth is that MSU is bursting at the seams. We want to be bigger, but the current infrastructure just won't support it. We are trying but it is what it is. If you want him at MSU you have to actively go after it. Sitting back won't help. Heck, with that ACT, just apply and send the score to MSU. He will get ample money, and it won't be a fight to get it. You just have to take the initiative.
    If the school counselor is anything like what I had in a little town in Northeast MS, they will screw you over. She literally would only help you go to one of two Jucos, anything else was 100% on your own. My wife didn't realize she could have gotten a full ride at MSU but burned the scholarship on Juco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    If the school counselor is anything like what I had in a little town in Northeast MS, they will screw you over. She literally would only help you go to one of two Jucos, anything else was 100% on your own. My wife didn't realize she could have gotten a full ride at MSU but burned the scholarship on Juco.
    LOL, you may have attended the same school. We did everything we did, right down to getting a REAL transcript to MSU, own our own. You have to take charge. Sitting back and waiting to be recruited doesn't get you much, if anything.

vCash
    I am sorry to hear that your son has not received information from us. We want to do everything possible to encourage your son and all students to attend Mississippi State University. Please contact me at jrd72@msstate.edu or 662.325.1838 so I can get his information and see where the problem might be. We will get this corrected ASAP.

John R. Dickerson
    Assistant Vice President for Enrollment
    University Registrar
    Mississippi State University

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post

I was about to suggest this. I'll give my 2 cents since I just went thru this with my daughter, now a Freshman at State, and have a son who is a Junior in HS also looking at schools.

Not every school spends their recruiting dollar the same ways. Some schools like Auburn spend a whole lot on mailers to kids based on certain criteria. Other schools don't. The only guaranteed way to get a school to recruit a kid is to express direct interest to that school by going to their website and filling out the "send me stuff" form. Just filling out the school code for the school you like on the SAT/ACT does not work. There are too many opportunities for data not to make it into the "system" at any school. If you do that for State, you will get something about 1 time a month as a Junior. You will not randomly get offered scholarship opportunities unless you actually apply to State (August of your kid's SR. year), but you will get information about programs, financial aid, student life, etc. State's website tells you approximately how much money your child is eligible for - just based on GPA and test scores. Most of the money is not competitive, it is automatic. This is highly, highly, unusual in higher ed today. Because of this, it is costing me less to send my daughter out of state to MSU then in-state to UGA. Your kid, with those scores and grades will get a lot of money.

Once you get in the system at State, I can't say enough good things about the whole recruitment/application/orientation/financial aid/send your kid to college experience that our school provides. It is top notch.

vCash
    I guess I dont get the mindset. If he wants to go to MSU why does he need mail from them? I knew I wanted to go to MSU so I just applied and got accepted. Does everybody need to be "shown the love" nowadays?

vCash
    My wife and I are both MSU alums. We live in Mississippi. My son is in high school and has submitted his ACT score to MSU and a few others schools. He has a great GPA and ACT score. He's getting tons of mail from other schools. I'm not sure that he has gotten one piece from MSU. Nothing. He wants to go to MSU but is getting discouraged. Other schools are blowing him up with mail or emails, including some he didn't even send a score to. What's our deal?
    I had a similar story with my son, very high ACT and GPA, over 30 hours AP credit visited the recruiting folks several times on campus and very little follow-up. very limited scholarship information, meanwhile Bama offers an automatic (based upon ACT) out of state waiver and full tuition for 4 years. A sad day in the redstick.