Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rosebowl vs OM: Who 'won"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    While some on here are trying to convince us how bad ole miss got hammered, there is a thread on the other board asking if THIS YEAR'S recruiting class will be ranked higher than theirs. It's not right now, btw.
    I’ll celebrate that ranking about as much as I did this years. Recruiting rankings are damn near useless outside the top 4-5 classes. They shouldn’t even rank them individually. It should be grades, like how they do the nfl draft. Fill needs? Fill open spots? Fit your system? Etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    This is where we pretty much left it because you can make good arguments both ways. The very end of your post is was worries me. That?s a long-term outcome much bigger than anything now.
    They had a player confess on national tv that he received payments from the coaching staff and that wasn't even considered in their punishment. UM can hand bookbags full of cash to recruits at NCAA headquarters and just claim they are paying back a loan the recruit gave them. The NCAA obviously don't employ accountants to track the money because it would be really obvious really quickly that UM signees are getting free cars and cash. Hell, the NCAA obviously doesn't even look at twitter. I could probably build a case stronger than what USCw was hit with just following what is on message boards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    WRONG. They lost unofficial visits.
    I'm sure the NCAA will be ON TOP of monitoring those unofficial visits. Let's watch and see!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    If getting a 2 year bowl ban, double digit scholarship losses, getting our head coach fired for screwing whores, and being the laughing stock of college football is winning, I'd rather not win.
    If we had 15 Level 1 violations levied against us I would take that as a ****ing win all...day...long....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I’ll celebrate that ranking about as much as I did this years. Recruiting rankings are damn near useless outside the top 4-5 classes. They shouldn’t even rank them individually. It should be grades, like how they do the nfl draft. Fill needs? Fill open spots? Fit your system? Etc...
    SO you are saying landing a top 6-15 class 5 years in a row would still have us finishing about the same every year as we do now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I'm sure the NCAA will be ON TOP of monitoring those unofficial visits. Let's watch and see!!
    The unofficial visits are a big deal. The NCAA doesn't have to monitor it. In today's world of social media there is no way a recruit is going to spend the weekend in Oxford and no one know about it unless they keep them locked in a closet with no phone.
    I don't think you can say who won between Steve and OM until the appeal is over and see what happens with the 2nd year bowl ban and see how the unofficial visits hurts OM. I would say once they have to abide by the unofficial visit ruling its going to really affect their recruiting. Hopefully it helps us a lot with the 2019 class in Mississippi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    The unofficial visits are a big deal. The NCAA doesn't have to monitor it. In today's world of social media there is no way a recruit is going to spend the weekend in Oxford and no one know about it unless they keep them locked in a closet with no phone.
    I don't think you can say who won between Steve and OM until the appeal is over and see what happens with the 2nd year bowl ban and see how the unofficial visits hurts OM. I would say once they have to abide by the unofficial visit ruling its going to really affect their recruiting. Hopefully it helps us a lot with the 2019 class in Mississippi.
    Yeah, I'm just not holding mu breath. But maybe I will be suprised.

vCash
    AJ Brown's new charger he received right after signing with UM was all over twitter. If they can't find that while they are investigating UM then they aren't going to figure out they exceeded their unofficial visits.

vCash
    I don't think you can say who won between Steve and OM until the appeal is over and see what happens with the 2nd year bowl ban
    It will be removed.
    and see how the unofficial visits hurts OM.
    It won't.
    I would say once they have to abide by the unofficial visit ruling its going to really affect their recruiting.
    They won't.

vCash
    Here's the thing that a lot of our fans miss with our recruiting and Ole Miss's recruiting the last 10 years or so and now.

DAN hurt our recruiting every bit as much as Ole Miss cheating hurt us. And I would even go as far as to say that Dan hurt us even worse than Ole Miss cheating did. Ole Miss being on probation would have helped Dan more than it would have helped Joe.

We can (and will) do better in football recruiting now that Dan is gone. How do I know that? Because Joe has hired a better staff as far as recruiting and is already making strong in roads in state and also out of state. And as I have said in the past if MSU can recruit well in baseball (yeah, I know history), men's basketball (slightly better history than football but not better recent history), and women's basketball (worse history than football)- there is ZERO reason why we can't recruit well in football. Well being defined as top 15-20. Which is coincidentally where most of Ole Miss's typical recent classes have been ranked even though they were paying off players left and right. The exceptions being 2013 and 2016 and then this year and last year which were lower.

The NCAA may not have hurt Ole Miss that bad- but Joe will. And I would be willing to wager that in every Egg Bowl loss we have had the past four-five years we would have won every single one of them had Dan been willing to actually give "relentless effort" and win just 1-2 more recruiting battles against them than keep his friends around. That's why I have been all up Hevesy's stupid looking ass the past FIVE years and it's incredible and sad to me at the same time that we let that slide for so long just to appease an average coach.