Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a positive recruiting note:

vCash

On a positive recruiting note:

We had an OL coach at a 'cruits basketball game last night in Lawrence, Kansas ... WOW!

Did Hev ever travel that far or go try to find those under the radar midwest dudes?

vCash
    Hope we get him bc we desperate right now, but I would rather have the ones we lost to sec schools.

I know it is fun to make fun of hev, but we have been pretty dang good on the oline the last 2 years and have a top 1/4 sec oline returning. Let us hope Johnson can coach the oline as good as hev

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hope we get him bc we desperate right now, but I would rather have the ones we lost to sec schools.

I know it is fun to make fun of hev, but we have been pretty dang good on the oline the last 2 years and have a top 1/4 sec oline returning. Let us hope Johnson can coach the oline as good as hev
    I agree. Hev got in gear and produced a good oline for last year and half (I'm not going full 2 years). I won't argue Hev can coach them up some. Just imagine tho if he had really hustled just a little in recruiting.

And his "gotta see em in camp" philosophy wasn't that good either. If this was Mullen's staff with all the recent strikeouts, we'd probably be throwing some offers at guys now that didn't have even remote chances of getting a D1 offer. No late traveling involved then LOL.

I hope Johnson can coach them up too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    We had an OL coach at a 'cruits basketball game last night in Lawrence, Kansas ... WOW!

Did Hev ever travel that far or go try to find those under the radar midwest dudes?
    That?s gonna be the difference in this staff and previous staff. This one won?t be outworked. I know everyone is impatient about recruiting right now but give them a chance to get everything in place. I think we are all gonna be happy in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I agree. Hev got in gear and produced a good oline for last year and half (I'm not going full 2 years). I won't argue Hev can coach them up some. Just imagine tho if he had really hustled just a little in recruiting.

And his "gotta see em in camp" philosophy wasn't that good either. If this was Mullen's staff with all the recent strikeouts, we'd probably be throwing some offers at guys now that didn't have even remote chances of getting a D1 offer. No late traveling involved then LOL.

I hope Johnson can coach them up too.
    Duke has been pretty solid in the acc considering their talent gap. Leads me to believe Johnson can coach.

vCash

Oddly enough, last year was probably his highest "recruiting rankings" Oline. It was pretty much 3 and 4 stars across the board with Rankin being the top Juco Olineman. It is amazing how much better our Oline got when we started beating Ark, UM, UT, and others for recruits instead of La Tech and USM. Nothing against those recruits because some became great players but typically the ceiling is a lot lower.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Oddly enough, last year was probably his highest "recruiting rankings" Oline. It was pretty much 3 and 4 stars across the board with Rankin being the top Juco Olineman. It is amazing how much better our Oline got when we started beating Ark, UM, UT, and others for recruits instead of La Tech and USM. Nothing against those recruits because some became great players but typically the ceiling is a lot lower.
    All our olinemen from 2017 class RSed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That?s gonna be the difference in this staff and previous staff. This one won?t be outworked. I know everyone is impatient about recruiting right now but give them a chance to get everything in place. I think we are all gonna be happy in the future.
    I'm leaning this way too, right now.

vCash
    All our olinemen from 2017 class RSed
    He was referring to the Oline on the field. Rankin - Top rated JUCO. Jenkins and Calhoun - both 3* (and I believe both were last second offers, so I'm not sure we really beat anybody for them), Reese was a 4* I think that was waiting for a FSU offer that never came. Don't remember Daryl William's recruiting was.

vCash
    didn't we red shirt-Champion and Phillips 2 JUCO O-linemen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    He was referring to the Oline on the field. Rankin - Top rated JUCO. Jenkins and Calhoun - both 3* (and I believe both were last second offers, so I'm not sure we really beat anybody for them), Reese was a 4* I think that was waiting for a FSU offer that never came. Don't remember Daryl William's recruiting was.
    I dumb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    This is why crootin’ rankings matter. Some c-USA caliber croots turn into studs, but the path from c-USA crook to quality sec starter is a lot longer with a lot more chance for derailment than sec caliber croot to quality sec starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Calhoun was a composite 2 star. A 78.

Jenkins was a 2 or 3 depending on where you look. He was a 80.

Reese was a 3 star. A 87.

Eiland was a 3 star. A 85.

Williams was a 3 star. A 88.

Our 2017 ol was a typical Hevesy ol as far as ratings go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    This is why crootin’ rankings matter. Some c-USA caliber croots turn into studs, but the path from c-USA crook to quality sec starter is a lot longer with a lot more chance for derailment than sec caliber croot to quality sec starter.
    Our 2 star and low to mid 3 star ol have kicked the ass of our high 3 star and 4 star ol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Calhoun was a composite 2 star. A 78.

Jenkins was a 2 or 3 depending on where you look. He was a 80.

Reese was a 3 star. A 87.

Eiland was a 3 star. A 85.

Williams was a 3 star. A 88.

Our 2017 ol was a typical Hevesy ol as far as ratings go.
    It was a damn good OL for most of the year as well. Say what you want about Hev's recruiting ability, but we didn't have many years where our OL wasn't at least decent, and in some years it was downright nasty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    It was a damn good OL for most of the year as well. Say what you want about Hev's recruiting ability, but we didn't have many years where our OL wasn't at least decent, and in some years it was downright nasty.
    How quickly we have forgotten the year where we had to start a DT at OT and then 2015 where we had to start a TE at OT. We've also had to start a walk-on which is rare nowadays- and Beckwith was a player who probably should have been offered that we were fortunate to get anyway.

Even this year- Dan's decision to not redshirt Jamaal Clayborn hurt us because it forced us to move Jenkins from LG to C causing us to break up our best left side of the o-line during Dan's tenure. And then Jenkins had some snapping problems at times and Reese had some issues with false starts. Of course Reese was a redshirt freshman who probably should have been a bak up had someone's lazy ass actually brought in someone who was an upperclassman instead of consistently undersigning most years. And thank you T-Buck for Reese or we would have had zero depth.

I'd venture to say that Hevesy's unit while good against Kentucky and La Tech was one of the main reasons why Dan couldn't take the next step and really hurt us in both the 2014 and 2015 Egg Bowl. His unit's lack of players in the NFL speaks volumes as well.

I will say this about Marcus Johnson- at least if he sucks as a coach or a recruiter Joe won't keep him around for nine years.

Banned
    vCash
    So or we getting dude from Kansas or not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    How quickly we have forgotten the year where we had to start a DT at OT and then 2015 where we had to start a TE at OT. We've also had to start a walk-on which is rare nowadays- and Beckwith was a player who probably should have been offered that we were fortunate to get anyway.

Even this year- Dan's decision to not redshirt Jamaal Clayborn hurt us because it forced us to move Jenkins from LG to C causing us to break up our best left side of the o-line during Dan's tenure. And then Jenkins had some snapping problems at times and Reese had some issues with false starts. Of course Reese was a redshirt freshman who probably should have been a bak up had someone's lazy ass actually brought in someone who was an upperclassman instead of consistently undersigning most years. And thank you T-Buck for Reese or we would have had zero depth.

I'd venture to say that Hevesy's unit while good against Kentucky and La Tech was one of the main reasons why Dan couldn't take the next step and really hurt us in both the 2014 and 2015 Egg Bowl. His unit's lack of players in the NFL speaks volumes as well.

I will say this about Marcus Johnson- at least if he sucks as a coach or a recruiter Joe won't keep him around for nine years.
    I agree. You pretty much nailed it.

vCash
    Duke has been pretty solid in the acc considering their talent gap. Leads me to believe Johnson can coach.

If Johnson couldn't coach then Cutcliffe would not have promoted him to offensive line coach. Cutcliffe thought highly of him as a coach (recruiter too). Johnson played at OM under Cutcliffe, but Cutcliffe did not go along with the Network philosophy of recruiting. He recruited good kids the right way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    If Johnson couldn't coach then Cutcliffe would not have promoted him to offensive line coach. Cutcliffe thought highly of him as a coach (recruiter too). Johnson played at OM under Cutcliffe, but Cutcliffe did not go along with the Network philosophy of recruiting. He recruited good kids the right way.
    Great points.