Thread: Hamburgers

vCash

Hamburgers

Brunswickdawg talked about making a good hamburger in the cooking skills thread. I have to admit this, but I struggle making a really good hamburger. I?m a pretty damn good cook, and I think it?s why my wife married me, but I just can?t master the burger. It?s not bad, probably like most people?s, but I want to make that restaurant quality burger. I?ve tried simple to complex. I typically grate some frozen butter and bind it into the meat, use a little Worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic, and sometimes a little ranch (wife likes it). Buns are almost just as important to me as the meat, and it?s hard to find legit buns at the grocery store. Everyone has a burger recipe, so what do you guys do? I love burgers, so I?ll probably try every recipe out.

vCash
    As I said in the food thread, don't handle your meat (lolz) too much. Treat it like a steak. Don't fold in a bunch of stuff. Get a good crust, and cook it medium rare to medium.

I'm not big on gourmet burgers. I love simple burgers.

Here is a great video for a basic cheeseburger.

vCash
    Regarding the buns, if you can't find a nice potato roll, pretzel roll, onion roll or something interesting like that, just buy some Hawaiian bread hamburger buns (you can find these everywhere, even Walmart).

vCash
    Method: Do you like a flat top or flame grilled? I’m a flat top guy so I love using the cast iron

Beef: 80/20 choice ground chuck. Beardo covered how to patty it out. Loose as possible

Bread: Tye bread part is so huge. I’ve been the baker at 2 different restaurant stops in my career. A scratch bun sets it off. Next time you’re in the metro shoot me a message and I’ll send you home with some jalape?o cheddar buns. In your area, I’d go to that bakery in the bay and find something. Like Beardo said, pick what you like. Onion roll, brioche, focaccia, sliced gambino French, whatever.

Toppings: Quakity produce and cheeses. Don’t do all that work to put Kroger brand dill chips and kraft singles.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    As I said in the food thread, don't handle your meat (lolz) too much. Treat it like a steak. Don't fold in a bunch of stuff. Get a good crust, and cook it medium rare to medium.

I'm not big on gourmet burgers. I love simple burgers.

Here is a great video for a basic cheeseburger.

Other than the cheese -- I'm one of those weirdos who prefer hamburgers to cheeseburgers -- this dude just made what I consider to be the perfect burger. Matches my toppings to a T. Don't need no siracha-clementine aioli, charred arugula, or sundried tomato chutney. Iceberg, tomatoes, onions, pickles, ketchup, and yellow mustard. Perfection.

Thanks for sharing the video. I always grill mine -- I like a little smoke on them -- but I may give the skillet a try now.

Oh, and when I do stray from orthodoxy, the only thing I add is ground roasted mushrooms to the beef. If you add too much it gets crumbly. But if you do it right, the result is a super moist, super umami burger that's quite a bit healthier than one made from all beef.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Other than the cheese -- I'm one of those weirdos who prefer hamburgers to cheeseburgers -- this dude just made what I consider to be the perfect burger. Matches my toppings to a T. Don't need no siracha-clementine aioli, charred arugula, or sundried tomato chutney. Iceberg, tomatoes, onions, pickles, ketchup, and yellow mustard. Perfection.

Thanks for sharing the video. I always grill mine -- I like a little smoke on them -- but I may give the skillet a try now.

Oh, and when I do stray from orthodoxy, the only thing I add is ground roasted mushrooms to the beef. If you add too much it gets crumbly. But if you do it right, the result is a super moist, super umami burger that's quite a bit healthier than one made from all beef.
    Good deal. I agree on his toppings, though I do like a bit of mayo on mine in addition to some grilled onions. I like smoke too, I just always had trouble with the patties falling apart on the grill, so I do prefer the flat top approach. Something you could try, however, that would sort of a compromise between the two, is to just put your skillet/griddle directly on the grill; that way you still get the smoke flavor, while not sacrificing the crust attained from the other method. I actually like to do it this way, for the smoke for one, but also because it doesn't make a giant mess in my kitchen.

vCash
    I've never been able to get them good on a skillet, so I'm a good old fashioned charcoal grill guy.

Beardo's video is pretty spot on. Two things I use:
    1) Seasoning - Montreal Steak Seasoning from McCormicks. It has sea salt, cracked pepper, garlic, coriander, cayenne pepper flakes, and dill seed. I mix it into my raw meat before I make my patties. Really brings out the flavor of the grill.
    2) Melt the Cheese on the Patty - No matter what cheese I use, which 9/10 times is good old American singles (because, kids), I throw those slices on to the burgers for the last minute or so to melt.

I make sure my fire is good and hot, and I sear each side for about 2 minutes on direct heat, then move them more to the outside of the grill and put the lid on for 4-5 minutes. Throw the cheese on for a minute, also with the lid on. The big thing is not charring them. That hot fire and grease can go up quick, so you have to pay attention. If you hear them starting to light up, open the lid, flip them move them around some away from hot spots.

Do it right, and as Jules Winfield would say, "That is one tasty burger."
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-26-2018 at 12:27 PM.