Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could stansbury be back in sec at aTm?

vCash

Could stansbury be back in sec at aTm?

This is Kennedy?s 6th year at aTm, and he is nosediving with a very talented team. Stansbury is tied for first in his conference with an rpi at 45. Kennedy in his 6 years at aTm has made the nit or NCAA twice... both years were when stansbury was on his staff. Stansbury also helped reel in their #4 nationally 2015 class. If both coaches continue the direction they are on this season, it would not surprise me if aTm hired stansbury

vCash
    Can you imagine this place if they did?

The bitching and moaning would be record scale. Liverpool and 34 might actually meet in real life at high noon to duel

vCash
    I’d take his ass back right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This is Kennedy?s 6th year at aTm, and he is nosediving with a very talented team. Stansbury is tied for first in his conference with an rpi at 45. Kennedy in his 6 years at aTm has made the nit or NCAA twice... both years were when stansbury was on his staff. Stansbury also helped reel in their #4 nationally 2015 class. If both coaches continue the direction they are on this season, it would not surprise me if aTm hired stansbury
    LOL ... you be doing some trollin now. ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    I?d take his ass back right now.
    Stansbury did some good things till about 2005 or so. Good recruiter and evaluator of talent. Then he started letting inmates run the asylum.

He also like Mullen. If he goes into big game as a favorite, his ass**** puckers up so tight a nail can't be driven into it. When that happened the team tightened up too. Stans can't win a big game.

He also like Mullen in that he had his favorites and tended to play upperclassmen too. I remember in Winsome Frazier's soph season playing Butler I believe in NCAA tourney, and Zimmerman, Bowers, and whole team throwing up bricks. Damn good shooters clanking bricks (tended to happen to Stansbury teams in big games when favored).

Anyway, Frazier comes off the bench, as usual plays great D and hits a couple of smooth three pointers. Winsome bringing some energy to game and gets a little rally started. And dammit if Stans doesn't yank his ass after the 2nd 3 pointer and puts him back on bench for rest of game. I never understood that move. We end up losing close one to Butler. If I recall correctly, that was the beginning of Butler's ascension to making deep runs in tourney.

His favorite player - Renardo Sydney. Let him get away with all kinds of crap. What a cancer he became. Destroyed a very talented team.

Next favorite - Jamont Gordon. For 2 or 3 years watched him in a slew of close games do nothing but dribble around for last 2 or 3 minutes of game, NEVER passing to anyone, till he threw up a last second shot to try to win game (most times with 2 or 3 defenders in his face). Thought he was Larry Bird I guess (except Bird would pass to open man in those situations). In all those multitudes of attempts, he made ONE that I recall, against KY in SEC tourney. We lost so many close games during that time I lost count.

Lost 2 to 4 or 5 good players to transfers, etc. because of having his favorites and letting them get away with all kinds of crap.

2003-2004 - His best team ever. Won SEC outright. #1 SEC Tourney seed. Lost to Vandy in 2nd round after 1st round bye. 2 seed in NCAA tourney. Got waxed by Xavier in 2nd round of NCAA tourney. Bunch of clanking of rims going on in those 2 games too.

Towards end of his reign, tended to play weak RPI OOC schedule. have a bad loss during that schedule, win 20+ games and not make NCAA tourney. At least this year we don't have the bad loss during our weak RPI OOC schedule. Not to mention all the off-court drama that went on all the time.

Main difference between Mullen & Stans. Mullen never let inmates run asylum and while busting his ass (finally) in his quest to get out of Starkville, he left quite a bit of talent behind. The football program is in good shape.

Stans thought he'd never be fired, wasn't trying to leave Starkville, and proceeded to let the basketball program deteriorate to just shy of the depths of hell. Program was in shambles when he left.

IMO, "No thanks" to Stans. Don't want him. I believe Howland has it headed in right direction, just have to get over hump some. Gotta play a complete game. The shooting will come I believe, but they clanking them right now. Doesn't mean they can't shoot tho. They just need to gain some confidence.
    I'm moderately optimistic.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-24-2018 at 07:23 AM.

vCash
    Stands at A&M would be awesome
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    It sure would. Hope it happens.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Stansbury did some good things till about 2005 or so. Good recruiter and evaluator of talent. Then he started letting inmates run the asylum.

He also like Mullen. If he goes into big game as a favorite, his ass**** puckers up so tight a nail can't be driven into it. When that happened the team tightened up too. Stans can't win a big game.

He also like Mullen in that he had his favorites and tended to play upperclassmen too. I remember in Winsome Frazier's soph season playing Butler I believe in NCAA tourney, and Zimmerman, Bowers, and whole team throwing up bricks. Damn good shooters clanking bricks (tended to happen to Stansbury teams in big games when favored).

Anyway, Frazier comes off the bench, as usual plays great D and hits a couple of smooth three pointers. Winsome bringing some energy to game and gets a little rally started. And dammit if Stans doesn't yank his ass after the 2nd 3 pointer and puts him back on bench for rest of game. I never understood that move. We end up losing close one to Butler. If I recall correctly, that was the beginning of Butler's ascension to making deep runs in tourney.

His favorite player - Renardo Sydney. Let him get away with all kinds of crap. What a cancer he became. Destroyed a very talented team.

Next favorite - Jamont Gordon. For 2 or 3 years watched him in a slew of close games do nothing but dribble around for last 2 or 3 minutes of game, NEVER passing to anyone, till he threw up a last second shot to try to win game (most times with 2 or 3 defenders in his face). Thought he was Larry Bird I guess (except Bird would pass to open man in those situations). In all those multitudes of attempts, he made ONE that I recall, against KY in SEC tourney. We lost so many close games during that time I lost count.

Lost 2 to 4 or 5 good players to transfers, etc. because of having his favorites and letting them get away with all kinds of crap.

2003-2004 - His best team ever. Won SEC outright. #1 SEC Tourney seed. Lost to Vandy in 2nd round after 1st round bye. 2 seed in NCAA tourney. Got waxed by Xavier in 2nd round of NCAA tourney. Bunch of clanking of rims going on in those 2 games too.

Towards end of his reign, tended to play weak RPI OOC schedule. have a bad loss during that schedule, win 20+ games and not make NCAA tourney. At least this year we don't have the bad loss during our weak RPI OOC schedule. Not to mention all the off-court drama that went on all the time.

Main difference between Mullen & Stans. Mullen never let inmates run asylum and while busting his ass (finally) in his quest to get out of Starkville, he left quite a bit of talent behind. The football program is in good shape.

Stans thought he'd never be fired, wasn't trying to leave Starkville, and proceeded to let the basketball program deteriorate to just shy of the depths of hell. Program was in shambles when he left.

IMO, "No thanks" to Stans. Don't want him. I believe Howland has it headed in right direction, just have to get over hump some. Gotta play a complete game. The shooting will come I believe, but they clanking them right now. Doesn't mean they can't shoot tho. They just need to gain some confidence.
    At least we had opportunities to choke in big tournament games under Stans. We can?t even sniff the NIT these days,almost for an entire decade. That?s as low as it gets in a P5 conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Stands at A&M would be awesome
    Awesome as in you think he would do well there, or awesome as in it would drive up your message board traffic?

vCash
    Stans would beat our asses every year at A&M. Even his sorry offensive sets make ours look like a rec league game plan.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 01-24-2018 at 10:48 AM.

vCash
    Funny how some folks had infinite patience with Stans and Mullen but all other coaches must produce immediate results, regardless of their pedigree or the dumpster fire they inherited.

vCash
    Funny how some folks had infinite patience with Stans and Mullen but all other coaches must produce immediate results, regardless of their pedigree or the dumpster fire they inherited.
    I do not wanna fire howland, but Mullen was much better, much quicker. If howland does not get NCAA tourney next season, send him back to cali

vCash
    Winning helps.

vCash
    People just want to bitch mostly because they are in the Stands Cult.

It took Stands 4 years to get into the NCAA Tourney- even tho Williams gifted him a team that should have been in the NCAA Tourney his 1st season. Ty Washington, Hamilton, White, Hyche, Myles, Jackson, Patterson...and Stands turned it into a 1st round NIT loss

If this team misses the NIT- people should bitch and expect more. Next better be in postseason somewhere. We'll see how it turns out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    Awesome as in you think he would do well there, or awesome as in it would drive up your message board traffic?
    He would struggle there. He'll be 59 next year and runs too loose of a ship. He is in the right place coaching at a Mid-Major with a winning tradition. If A&M had wanted him- they could have had him. It would have been easy for them to use Kennedy's illness as an excuse for a change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I do not wanna fire howland, but Mullen was much better, much quicker. If howland does not get NCAA tourney next season, send him back to cali
    Mullen also came in to a much better situation. Croom was not a good coach (especially on offense), but he cleaned up the mess and left some pieces for Mullen to work with. Mullen's second team had NFL players on it. Howland took over from Rick Ray who couldn't coach or recruit, and we are demanding firings when he hasn't even been here 3 years. This brain trust would've fired Bruce Pearl last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    This brain trust would've fired Bruce Pearl last year.
    And Frank Martin the year before

vCash

Let's get some things straight here for once. Do you know the reason he took Sydney in the first place? Because our fans were bitching that he didn't recruit at a high enough level anymore. So he took a chance on Sydney. And he had to let Sydney get away with stuff because he pulled that off on his own, not with the help of boosters. If you cut Sydney and he talks-the "dumpster fire" is a helluva lot worse with the NCAA around investigating. Your inmates running the asluym is funny really considering the circus that has been X Stapleton. If you go back and look at the @HailStateMBK twitter account you'll notice a practice picture. All the players are working on their shooting, etc except Stapleton who is off in the damn corner just sitting down not giving a damn. Literally all the coaches and players are together and he is off to the side. You also have players taking their frustrations off on twitter after every single game and, again, there are a lot of issues that go on in each of our programs that should not be brought into the spotlight as is the case everywhere.

Secondly, sounds like another coach I know who lets players get in a groove several times this year and then proceeds to pull the whole starting lineup. Last night, first half is a prime example.

For all the bitching we heard about "Stans doesn't recruit well enough anymore" and "Stans doesn't have assistants that can come up with X and O" anymore. Seems like their are some parallels between then and now. Yes, on paper, our talent should be better. But I could take a Jamont Gordon, Phil Turner, Riley Benock, Barry Stewart, and whoever else might've been on that team and competed with this team and win. Those guys at least ran their offensive cuts hard and found ways to make baskets. Ari Gold was on here I believe a week or so ago talking about rumors in the program of Howland not having good enough Xs and Os guys and there being some concern there, glad to see someone finally realizing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    People just want to bitch mostly because they are in the Stands Cult.
    7 years later and you are still making excuses. How pathetic. The only person who was ever cultish about Stans was you and your merry band of Stans haters. You went on a multi-year campaign against Stans and denigrated him and anyone who liked him. You hammered away at the point that he was the worst coach in the country and that anyone could do better than him at State. Anyone.

Now 7 years later and we still haven't even got back the level that you convinced us was completely unacceptable. And somehow, unbelievably, your hot take today is that Howland just needs to listen to you more. Holy 17.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    7 years later and you are still making excuses. How pathetic. The only person who was ever cultish about Stans was you and your merry band of Stans haters. You went on a multi-year campaign against Stans and denigrated him and anyone who liked him. You hammered away at the point that he was the worst coach in the country and that anyone could do better than him at State. Anyone.

Now 7 years later and we still haven't even got back the level that you convinced us was completely unacceptable. And somehow, unbelievably, your hot take today is that Howland just needs to listen to you more. Holy 17.
    A) this is year 6. You guys keep trying to add years for some reason

B) Nobody told Stricklin to hire a complete nobody that caused our boosters to stop sponsoring AAU- so 3 years of this we did to ourselves. So don’t blame that shit on me. NOBODY wanted Rick Ray as our coach. NOBODY

C) We are 14-6 and Howland is bringing the program along
    Last edited by Coach34; 01-24-2018 at 01:57 PM.