Thread: Three point shooting

vCash

Three point shooting

Going back to the TSUN game we are 35-134 behind the arc for a blistering 26%. At any point does our supposed genius of a coach tell them to quit shooting three pointers like the fate of the civilized world depended on it? Assuming 70% of those attempts were our only shot of the possession then that is 69 possessions where we did not score because of a bad shot over our last 6 games. That is averaging 11 possessions a game over that span we gave ourself no real chance to score. Had we tried to drive the ball and score and were successful on just half of those possessions that is an extra 10 points a game during a stretch we go 1-5. An extra 10 points would have been huge in most of those games.

vCash
    But our coach sent Russell Westbrook to the NBA. We must shoot 3's to be like him.*

vCash
    THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Going back to the TSUN game we are 35-134 behind the arc for a blistering 26%. At any point does our supposed genius of a coach tell them to quit shooting three pointers like the fate of the civilized world depended on it? Assuming 70% of those attempts were our only shot of the possession then that is 69 possessions where we did not score because of a bad shot over our last 6 games. That is averaging 11 possessions a game over that span we gave ourself no real chance to score. Had we tried to drive the ball and score and were successful on just half of those possessions that is an extra 10 points a game during a stretch we go 1-5. An extra 10 points would have been huge in most of those games.
    You’re thinking objectively but when these guys probably make 50-60% in shoot around and practice, they probably believe “tonight’s the night”

You’d think at some point the stats would revert to the mean but that hasn’t happened

vCash
    Why do you think Howland isn't aware of this? All I hear him talk about is poor spacing, lack of ball movement, not moving without the ball, being impatient and not working the ball in. I don't get why some don't think he isn't aware of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    Why do you think Howland isn't aware of this? All I hear him talk about is poor spacing, lack of ball movement, not moving without the ball, being impatient and not working the ball in. I don't get why some don't think he isn't aware of this.
    No need to go there. It’s a waste of time trust me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    No need to go there. It’s a waste of time trust me.

Yep! Some of the posters on here know (think they know) more about what's best for our MSU athletic programs than our President and AD do.

vCash

He is, but if some agreed with what you said then they wouldn't have anything to complain and bitch about.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Because during the game he looks like he is waiting to go into the dentist office with his body language. Maybe we should let Vic coach one game.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    It's really a catch 22 situation. All of these guys are AAU products, and they don't teach fundamentals in AAU basketball leagues. These guys can't shoot the three point ball with any efficiency, but they also suck at making post entry passes to beat the zone inside. That's one of those fundamental things that they have forgotten about in the AAU racket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    It's really a catch 22 situation. All of these guys are AAU products, and they don't teach fundamentals in AAU basketball leagues. These guys can't shoot the three point ball with any efficiency, but they also suck at making post entry passes to beat the zone inside. That's one of those fundamental things that they have forgotten about in the AAU racket.
    That's not it. We have five players who shot fine from 3 last year and have regressed significantly this year, two of which to the tune of over 15 percentage points. There's no point in speculating why at this point since Howland and team aren't giving any insight, but it's not because we have a team full of raw athletes who came in not knowing how to shoot.

vCash
    I think another major problem, in addition to our inconsistency on 3 point shooting, is our inability to crash the boards. We're just not strong enough on the inside to pull down rebounds. If when we do get a rebound, we sometimes get the ball slapped out of our hands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I think another major problem, in addition to our inconsistency on 3 point shooting, is our inability to crash the boards. We're just not strong enough on the inside to pull down rebounds. If when we do get a rebound, we sometimes get the ball slapped out of our hands.
    We're 4th in the conference in rebounding. Maybe we have problems situationally, but rebounding on the whole isn't killing us by any means. If you mean specifically offensive rebounding off our missed 3's, you may have a point there, but excessively crashing the boards after 3's can get you killed in transition.

vCash
    None of these guards have ever been above 39% from three, so they're not great anyway. Our guards are bad shooters. All of them have gone from bad to terrible shooters since they got here though. All of them have fallen off percentage wise. So stop expecting them to get better or find their shot. They don't have a shot and their development of one is nil under Howland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    None of these guards have ever been above 39% from three, so they're not great anyway. Our guards are bad shooters. All of them have gone from bad to terrible shooters since they got here though. All of them have fallen off percentage wise. So stop expecting them to get better or find their shot. They don't have a shot and their development of one is nil under Howland.
    Peters and Carter both shot 36% as freshmen last year, Wright shot 40%. Care to guess what Ravern Johnson shot as a freshman? (Hint: it was less than 30%). If you're calling anything less than 40% bad, then a number of guys who won us a lot of games over the years by making a lot of 3's must have been bad 3-point shooters.

edit: If not clear, my point in this post is not related to anything about our current team or coach; it's that you don't know what you're talking about if you think sub-40% 3 point shooting is bad.
    Last edited by thf24; 01-24-2018 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Peters and Carter both shot 36% as freshmen last year, Wright shot 40%. Care to guess what Ravern Johnson shot as a freshman? (Hint: it was less than 30%). If you're calling anything less than 40% bad, then a number of guys who won us a lot of games over the years by making a lot of 3's must have been bad 3-point shooters.

edit: If not clear, my point in this post is not related to anything about our current team or coach; it's that you don't know what you're talking about if you think sub-40% 3 point shooting is bad.
    Yeah, we have a lot of posters making a lot of comments how bad we are that don’t know jack about basketball and they really don’t care much about basketball. I tend to just ignore those people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post

33.3% three point shooting is equal to shooting 50% for a two point shot.

vCash
    A jacked up shot or even a step back three is an extremely hard shot to make. I’ve noticed Q is doing this more this year and I don’t recall him doing it the previous two years. It’s very inconsistent. The key to our shooting woes has been our sharing of the basketball and taking good shots AND being ready to shoot when we receive the ball. This means instead of Carter taking a 24-25 foot shot he should square himself up and be ready to receive the ball and shoot. When he has done that this year he has been successful. The best example of us being unselfish and sharing the basketball as well as being ready to receive the ball ready to shoot was the Vandy game. We were 9/20 and it wasn’t luck either. If I was Howland, I would drill that tape into their skull. The more we share the ball the better the result.