Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason decommits and commits to UPig

vCash
    Do not look now, but OM has a higher rating per recruit than us. We are 30th and they are 38th, but our lead is based on 3 more commits/signees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Do not look now, but OM has a higher rating per recruit than us. We are 30th and they are 38th, but our lead is based on 3 more commits/signees.
    Their recruiting guys got Corral a 5 star bump, and a few others got a bump. Same shit every year. It doesn?t translate to the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JDog13 View Post
    Their recruiting guys got Corral a 5 star bump, and a few others got a bump. Same shit every year. It doesn?t translate to the field.
    Good point on corral. He is most likely really pulling up their recruiting ranking per player

vCash
    Yeah there?s now way in heck corral should be a 5 Star. unm hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah there?s now way in heck corral should be a 5 Star. unm hype
    He is probably a 5-Star much like Sidney was for us. Both are talented guys, but other aspects of their life will keep them from ever reaching their potential

vCash
    He is probably a 5-Star much like Sidney was for us. Both are talented guys, but other aspects of their life will keep them from ever reaching their potential
    I watched him in elite 11 and some other games. 4 Star was the correct rating for him. He?s not as talented as Jake Fromm and he was a 4 Star.

The kid does have some talent but he?s not a 5 Star.

vCash
    A lot of melt about a player who isn't all that good anyway. I hope everyone feels better now.

If people want to know why we lost him- it's because recruiting is about relationships and that's where MSU falls short a lot of the times. Most coaches that are MSU grads don't steer their players to MSU like this guy's head coach did. Relationships makes a difference. And that's why Ole Miss so desperately tries to find an "in" with every recruit that they want really bad. If we want to stop this from happening we have to start finding our own "ins" with family/coaches that are on our side. It's as simple as that.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    I can't believe I read every word of this entire thread. Holy shit my head is hurting now. What was I thinking?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    A lot of melt about a player who isn't all that good anyway. I hope everyone feels better now.

If people want to know why we lost him- it's because recruiting is about relationships and that's where MSU falls short a lot of the times. Most coaches that are MSU grads don't steer their players to MSU like this guy's head coach did. Relationships makes a difference. And that's why Ole Miss so desperately tries to find an "in" with every recruit that they want really bad. If we want to stop this from happening we have to start finding our own "ins" with family/coaches that are on our side. It's as simple as that.
    Still doesn?t always work. We always seem to win over the parent that loses the vote. For instance doesn?t Lovett?s Dad favor MSU? Carvin?s Dad supposedly was high in MSU and I thought I read that Masons parents liked State.

Always a guessing game and I agree nobody knows how good he will be as the big instate guys apparently weren?t all that high on him

vCash
    Give me mayden over corral every damn day. If that means my ratings are lower, so be it.

vCash
    Good point on corral. He is most likely really pulling up their recruiting ranking per player
    We're also about to sign 6-7 more players that will likely boost ours. If our guys aren't rated as high as they should be part of that is on our recruiting media people like Rosebowl. It's a BS system that we don't play like we should because I don't know why.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Still doesn?t always work. We always seem to win over the parent that loses the vote. For instance doesn?t Lovett?s Dad favor MSU? Carvin?s Dad supposedly was high in MSU and I thought I read that Masons parents liked State.

Always a guessing game and I agree nobody knows how good he will be as the big instate guys apparently weren?t all that high on him
    Of course it doesn't always work. It's not about being foolproof- it's about giving yourself the best chance to land a player. Our recruiters and assistants are paid to figure that out- everyone else can apparently figure out that the high school coach or uncle or whoever is the key to getting a player is. Our recruiting reporters are getting their information from the staff or people close to the staff I assume- and if our staff if off on who the key figure in that player's life is, odds are our recruiting reporters are going to be off on it too. Not their fault- they're paid to report what they are told and if it's wrong it's wrong.

I think a lot of it at this point falls on Dan still- personally it seemed to me like if the players key person truly was their parent we were good. If not, well then shit happens a lot of times. Probably a lot of that again was from Dan and his staff just being too lazy overall to figure out who that key person was- and if they did figure out it was someone other than a parent I would imagine a lot of times Dan just threw his hands up and said forget it. Dan simply did not do what he needed to do to recruit at a high level and he and we suffered for it for years. And if you ask me that's our main reason for not having more top 25 wins under Dan like we did under Jackie. Starting in 2019 everything falls on Joe. At this point all I want to see our staff do is replace Mason with someone like Aaron Brule- who I actually like better than Mason anyway personally. Plus it would keep our NOLA pipeline going and we have had more success in Louisiana getting impact players lately than we have from Alabama.

Back to the original point of this post- it's up to the staff to evaluate and figure out the key people that they need to have a relationship with. And maybe we need to start to encourage our alumni that are high school coaches to sell MSU football more if they aren't totally comfortable steering a good player to us. Recruiting is a selling job and it's about relationships- and we need to do a better job of that going forward.

vCash
    Of course it doesn't always work. It's not about being foolproof- it's about giving yourself the best chance to land a player. Our recruiters and assistants are paid to figure that out- everyone else can apparently figure out that the high school coach or uncle or whoever is the key to getting a player is. Our recruiting reporters are getting their information from the staff or people close to the staff I assume- and if our staff if off on who the key figure in that player's life is, odds are our recruiting reporters are going to be off on it too. Not their fault- they're paid to report what they are told and if it's wrong it's wrong.

I think a lot of it at this point falls on Dan still- personally it seemed to me like if the players key person truly was their parent we were good. If not, well then shit happens a lot of times. Probably a lot of that again was from Dan and his staff just being too lazy overall to figure out who that key person was- and if they did figure out it was someone other than a parent I would imagine a lot of times Dan just threw his hands up and said forget it. Dan simply did not do what he needed to do to recruit at a high level and he and we suffered for it for years. And if you ask me that's our main reason for not having more top 25 wins under Dan like we did under Jackie. Starting in 2019 everything falls on Joe. At this point all I want to see our staff do is replace Mason with someone like Aaron Brule- who I actually like better than Mason anyway personally. Plus it would keep our NOLA pipeline going and we have had more success in Louisiana getting impact players lately than we have from Alabama.

Back to the original point of this post- it's up to the staff to evaluate and figure out the key people that they need to have a relationship with. And maybe we need to start to encourage our alumni that are high school coaches to sell MSU football more if they aren't totally comfortable steering a good player to us. Recruiting is a selling job and it's about relationships- and we need to do a better job of that going forward.
    Slight hijack... you cats need to be HAMMERING the state of Alabama, IMO.... Currently, UA has (only) 1 signee and 1 commit for 2018... over the last ~5 years, there has been a huge vacuum for talent in-state...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    We're going to get who we get. There is nothing any of us can do about the final signees and the final number. Jump on board and get excited about the 2018 season. Once we start rolling up wins, we'll gain some more momentum. There are some that spend way too much time being negative and thinking that maybe bitching on here will change the outcome of the class. Shut up, wait til Signing Day and try to say something positive.
    Damn Right! +1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    Probably 90% of the posters on this board don't remember Cooper when he coached for Sherrill as DC. Total disaster.
    I remember that idiot and his stupid sideline signals very well.

vCash
    We're also about to sign 6-7 more players that will likely boost ours. If our guys aren't rated as high as they should be part of that is on our recruiting media people like Rosebowl. It's a BS system that we don't play like we should because I don't know why.
    6-7? Seems like a lot.

vCash
    Him and that 4-star receiver they flipped from Ga.

vCash

Contact with Aaron Brule has been re-established, inroads are being laid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Contact with Aaron Brule has been re-established, inroads are being laid.
    Hopefully it works out. CBs seem to say he ark bound too though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Him and that 4-star receiver they flipped from Ga.
    The 4 star WR was dropped by UGA and looks like a Dedric Thomas WR