Thread: Bass Boats.... which to go with....

vCash

Bass Boats.... which to go with....

Nitro Z21 or Z20
    Ranger 521C or 520C
    Legend V20
    ?

Granted the Nitro is typically running $10k less than the other two. Currently have a Nitro Z7.

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Mercury 250 Verado
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    ?

Hummingbird's new mega imaging
    Lowrance
    RayMarine
    ?

Going to buy used. Typically one year old with 80 to 120 hours.

vCash
    I’m not too educated on bass boat hulls but that yammy is the best motor pick because it’s proven and it’s very easy to find someone qualified to work on it should something go wrong. That said, I’ve read they ironed out a few hiccups with the verados and that’s a bullet proof motor now. As far as the electronics, imo that depends on what brand trolling motor you want to run. Even if you’re not going gps/spot lock from the jump, if you ever upgrade you can integrate seemlessly as long as they’re compatible.

vCash
    Going Ultrex all the way, although reading a few problems with ot, so may give them a little time to work it out unless one comes on the boat I get. Humming Bird is more compatible with Min Kota.

vCash
    Where do you like to fish? Who services the engine you have now?

I have a Ranger z521C. I like the layout over the 520C. Only other boat I considered was BassCat.

I wouldn’t worry as much about the boat as the engine. There’s not an engine out there that’s bullet proof so I would go with whichever engine your mechanic likes to service. Look at available warranty left on the engine. You’re not going to find too many used bass boats with a Verado.

Ultrex most issues have been fixed. It works with both Lowrance and Humminbird.

Electronics - I would go with Humminbird or Lowrance. Humminbird has the better mapping card with Lakemaster.

Ranger, Nitro, Triton, Stratos, and Legend are all owned by Johnny Morris (Bass Pro).

Other boats to consider are BassCat and Phoenix.

Let me know if I can help.

vCash
    I fish Pickwick, Sardis, Oxbows, Gibson County TN, may do some traveling to fish as well.

Don't have a mechanic, never needed one in 7 years. Guess that says stick with the Merc. I think I have decided on Humminbird with the new Mega Imaging. May have found the boat I want in Atlanta with all the options I want and color that looks great.

The boats on my list are just my favorite personally and how they look to me. I.e. I prefer Powerpole over talons.
    Last edited by 7dawg; 01-23-2018 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    I drove to Indianapolis for mine this Summer. I say I wouldn’t do it again, but it had everything I wanted on it. Since you’re buying used like I did get the serial number off the engine and see if it’s had any work done. You can check it on the Merc website.

I looked at a 2011 in Kansas that had less than 50 hours. Unfortunately it sat for about 5 years without being run which is the worst thing for an outboard. I found this by running the serial number.

vCash
    Good tip, thanks. Havent considered that. Looking at a 2017 with 15 hrs, so basically brand new with warranty.

vCash
    I think any of those boats would be fine. I would be very hard pressed to pass up the Yammy however.