Thread: How many of these baseball commits will make it to campus

vCash

How many of these baseball commits will make it to campus

I see a lot of hooping and hallering about the commits but we?ve seen this before and they never see the field

vCash
    Well, it beats the hell out of not getting them committed to begin with.

They are 2020 guys. No one has any clue how likely or unlikely they are to get to campus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Well, it beats the hell out of not getting them committed to begin with.

They are 2020 guys. No one has any clue how likely or unlikely they are to get to campus.
    I think we a couple classes to worry about before 2020

vCash
    The majority of our commits play for us.

vCash
    This - I personally heard Canny say a few weeks ago about this topic.....he basically said that we can either recruit at the very highest level (where the draft issue is a risk) or get beat by the teams that do........

vCash
    You got to be aggressive and go after the best talent and you may lose a few but the ones that come give you the talent to compete for the NC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The majority of our commits play for us.
    As long as this is the case, I am happy. What I do not wanna see is a class full of mlb risks and end up raiding jucos post-draft

vCash
    There is a reason we sign so many guys. We are gonna lose some. It's part of it. Conservative gets you beat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    As long as this is the case, I am happy. What I do not wanna see is a class full of mlb risks and end up raiding jucos post-draft
    Yea this is my concern. I get it - recruit the stars. I?m assuming cann has a plan. This is why we pay him the big bucks

vCash
    We aren’t going to sign an entire class that will likely go pro. We will sign a few that will “likely” go pro and hope for the best. After that, we will sign a bunch that would likely be drafted later but go to school and make good sec players.

You guys that get upset about signing top players need to get a prescription for some Xanax or something. I know they will likely go pro, but I am still happy to get them. If nothing else, other top players notice these guys signing with us and that carries weight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think that using JUCO's as our back-up plan is going to change now that Cohen is the AD and Coggin is gone. That's the whole benefit of Cann being a former scout and Gautreau being a former talent evaluator for Scott Boras. We can better figure who exactly is a major draft risk and then combat it. We also can sign guys that appear to be draft risks on paper but may really want to go to school on the front end more often as well. If you look at our current class I think that's how we're going to start using the JUCO's. Gunner Halter is a legit prospect- obviously if we can get one of those we will. The rest of the recruits are mainly going to be bullpen/back-up catcher/role player types.

Our fans always see the guys that go pro- but they forget about Jordan Anderson, Josh Hatcher, and Tanner Allen who were drafted and made it to school. And then there are guys like Owen Lovell and Jordan Westburg who are very talented and could have been drafted but weren't in part because they wanted to go to school.

Vanderbilt, Florida, and LSU all lose guys to the draft as well. But they keep some too- but to do that as others have said we have to get them to commit first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoplectic View Post
    Yea this is my concern. I get it - recruit the stars. I?m assuming cann has a plan. This is why we pay him the big bucks
    We've never had a baseball coach with the pro background that Cann has at MSU ever since maybe Jimmy Bragan. Polk, McMahon, and Cohen were all very good coaches obviously- all took us to Omaha, all won the SEC Tournament, and Polk and Cohen won the SEC. We're now following the model that Vandy, LSU (with Cann), and Florida have followed which has helped them win National Titles or in the case of LSU make it to the finals where they lost to one of the teams I mentioned in Florida.

Yes- we're going to recruit draft risks at a fairly high level. Yes- we will lose some. But....yes- we will also keep more than we have in the past. Even more urgent to me is we need to find a way to keep our juniors for their senior year. That's second to getting elite talent in to MSU. The crazy thing about our fans is we almost seem to encourage our juniors to leave and take the money- whereas at LSU it's "come back and win a National Title for LSU and be a hero for life and then go pro." Not sure how to change that attitude among our fans. If we can keep 80%+ of our juniors drafted after the 15th round we would be a lot better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    We aren’t going to sign an entire class that will likely go pro. We will sign a few that will “likely” go pro and hope for the best. After that, we will sign a bunch that would likely be drafted later but go to school and make good sec players.

You guys that get upset about signing top players need to get a prescription for some Xanax or something. I know they will likely go pro, but I am still happy to get them. If nothing else, other top players notice these guys signing with us and that carries weight.
    People forget that the first 10 rounds of the draft is roughly 300-325 picks long. Probably at least half of those picks if not more are college players. I'd guess another 30-40 or so are JUCO players. So, we're talking about roughly 110-150 picks that are high school players I'm guessing. That probably translates our to 2-3 recruits in one of our typical classes. Then rounds 11-15 have become the above slot rounds where guys that are typically tough to sign get drafted. That probably would be about 1-2 more of our recruits if I had to guess typically. So, we're probably looking at 3-5 recruits being major draft risks in a typical year- I think that could improve with Cann's scouting ties or at least we will be better prepared to know who the 3-5 are and can adequately replace them. I think recruiting fewer high end JUCO's will help us keep from getting classes decimated by the draft as well since a lot of those players are more likely to go pro than the high school players.

vCash
    I want to ask a question on the complete opposite end of this topic.....the topic of offering kids who aren’t good at all a chance to earn a roster spot. As I understand it, it’s an offer to try out and work out with the team.

We are talking about kids that play baseball but are not anywhere near D1 talent. Now, some of it are kids whose dads just happen to be loaded.....but I would love to know more about this process

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    I want to ask a question on the complete opposite end of this topic.....the topic of offering kids who aren’t good at all a chance to earn a roster spot. As I understand it, it’s an offer to try out and work out with the team.

We are talking about kids that play baseball but are not anywhere near D1 talent. Now, some of it are kids whose dads just happen to be loaded.....but I would love to know more about this process
    I doubt Cannizaro will sign a single player that he doesn’t think has a chance to contribute or turn into a player. Of course some are more “can’t miss” than others, but at the same time we have had some very highly rated and highly drafted players that never produced.