Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New places in Starkville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    This would work. Torchys is the shit
    The trailer trash extra trashy is where it?s at man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    The trailer trash extra trashy is where it?s at man.
    YES. That's my favorite thing on the menu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    Starkville needs a good Italian place.
    New one being built by The Mill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond21 View Post
    New one being built by The Mill
    Wonderful. Know what it is?

vCash
    Wonderful. Know what it is?
    I think its going to be a Gondolier Pizza.
    https://gondolierpizza.com/

vCash
    Yea so that's not an Italian place, it's a bagel place that does Italian a few times a week at night.
    You realize the original owner was a classical trained chef and they have a new classicly trained chef running the show? Those 2 guys are more than qualified to cook ?real? Italian food. They make their dough and pasta from scratch. That?s real Italian food dude. Go look at their Instagram and see what they?re whipping up. It?s high level stuff. If you want to dump on the place that?s fine but you couldn?t be more wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    You realize the original owner was a classical trained chef and they have a new classicly trained chef running the show? Those 2 guys are more than qualified to cook ?real? Italian food. They make their dough and pasta from scratch. That?s real Italian food dude. Go look at their Instagram and see what they?re whipping up. It?s high level stuff. If you want to dump on the place that?s fine but you couldn?t be more wrong.
    This.

vCash
    And you can bring your own wine.

vCash

These are just some specials they’ve had before

vCash
    The original owner, Joe Tkach (and Mary), brought real New York style bagels (which requires boiling) to Starkville. He brought homeade pizza to Starkville. He brought real authentic Italian food to Starkville. He had the fight the City to get beer sold and when he got it, he filled a cooler of only craft beer (minus coors light b/c Joe likes coors light) 15 years before craft beer was cool. All those things were firsts for Starkville. His brother Paul worked everyday as the baker and prep cook starting at 5am. His wife Mary worked 7 days a week doing literally everything. I know Ty and Jay get all the culinary love in Starkville but the Tkach’s brought a ton of new stuff before there was anything. If there is a Mount Rushmore of the Starkville food/culinary scene, the Tkach’s belong on it.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Hey for you steak lovers in the GTR, y?all need to go check out Yamato Steakhouse in West Point. Place looks like the shit. Passed it earlier on my way home from Hunting. I?m Only halfway joking. It could be a good place.

Slight hijack. Assuming everyone rides around without radio on or has Sirius in the GTR It?s either too pop hits, new BA pop country or the new techno/auto tune/mumbling like you have a mouth full of grapes rap. Maybe this explains why Bounds still has a job. 0.0000 competition in large swaths of the state.

vCash
    Then he should open up an Italian restaurant and not a bagel shop. And who is dumping on his place? I'm sure he makes some fine food, but I'd still like an actual Italian restaurant.

vCash

These are just some specials they’ve had before
    Yep. CB is legit.

Their pancetta, mushroom, and pea carbonara [with homemade pappardelle] is something to behold. I'm almost 100% positive it's the only place in Starkville that has fresh made pasta (the only other place would be Restaurant Tyler, if I had to guess...).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsofAnarchy View Post
    You just TOTALLY stereo-typed 3 Million ?Mississippians? which is just stupid. Oh by the way, Starkville has Mexican restuarants all over it including a couple of just Taco type places like Salsaritas, so spare my ass if some people like BLUE PLATE American food. Lord have mercy.
    Lumping a place like Torchy's in with Mexican restaurants is inaccurate.

Completely different vibe, food, & purpose

vCash
    Killer southern with more ambitious dinner is along the lines of Lou?s Full Serve, Manship House, Drago?s, Crechales?s, Ga Blue, etc.... You serve blue plates at lunch to make money and pay the bills. If you think southern cuisine is played out, you have absolutely no idea what you?re talking about. Name me a few top restaurants in Oxford & Hattiesburg (other college towns so we?re apples to apples) and tell me what they serve. Starkville has Tyler and Veranda is that realm. They both have their own distinct niche and flavor and there is room for another.

Another Japanese and Mediterranean to Starkville.... LMAO.
    First, off it's clear you don't know the places the I recommended.

Secondly, I love blue plates as much as anyone, but I believe Mississippians appear stuck in a box when it comes this.

It's overplayed IMO unless you did something super unique.

You only mentioned college towns in Mississippi. How about Austin, TX, Fayetteville, Norman, Stillwater, College Station, Fort Worth, Boulder, etc?

You only mentioned towns in Mississippi & I'm telling you what works in damn near the entire middle of the country.

vCash
    The people who own Harvey's and the grill opened a southern style food restaurant in Tupelo called South and it didn't make it. Had it made it I expected one like it in Starkville. Anthonys Market in West Point has the best steak in the golden triangle and it's not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsofAnarchy View Post
    Sonic where Denny’s use to be. But there are 4 or 5 new restaurants coming soon. New Mugshots is coming along nicely also.
    Damn there are a lot of restaurants in Starkville.

vCash
    The food scene in Starkville is growing. For steak and upscale southern food you have Tyler, Veranda, Commodore Bobs. If Char is coming that would be a great addition. There?s also a butcher shop in the works with some very capable guys. It would be nice to see them attach a restaurant. For tacos Two brothers has some unique tacos and they are looking to expand. Humble tacos will be another great addition with fresh, from scratch, tacos and Latin American food with a southern twist. There is one Italian restaurant coming and another in the works. The one in the works would be opened by a classically trained chef that actually studied in Italy. Thames and his group buying city bagel was a great move to keep that staple going. Other restaurants are looking to expand and other concepts looking for locations. Plenty of burger, Mexican and bbq to go around

Eta I haven?t eaten there in a while but I thought more people were big on Stromboli?s as well.
    Last edited by SmokeyDawg; 01-21-2018 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Hey for you steak lovers in the GTR, y?all need to go check out Yamato Steakhouse in West Point. Place looks like the shit. Passed it earlier on my way home from Hunting. I?m Only halfway joking. It could be a good place.

Slight hijack. Assuming everyone rides around without radio on or has Sirius in the GTR It?s either too pop hits, new BA pop country or the new techno/auto tune/mumbling like you have a mouth full of grapes rap. Maybe this explains why Bounds still has a job. 0.0000 competition in large swaths of the state.
    I?ve eaten at the one in Greenwood. It?s ok. Poor man?s Umi?s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    First, off it's clear you don't know the places the I recommended.

Secondly, I love blue plates as much as anyone, but I believe Mississippians appear stuck in a box when it comes this.

It's overplayed IMO unless you did something super unique.

You only mentioned college towns in Mississippi. How about Austin, TX, Fayetteville, Norman, Stillwater, College Station, Fort Worth, Boulder, etc?

You only mentioned towns in Mississippi & I'm telling you what works in damn near the entire middle of the country.
    Dude, I’ve worked in the food business for 19 years and will for another 30+ lord willing. If you think what works in Austin or Boulder is guaranteed in Starkville, I don’t know what to tell you. When ESPN goes to Oxford, Starkville, or Hattiesburg where do they send the crew to go eat and shout out on air? Hint: it ain’t the Lebanese/Greek place. It ain’t the Tai Fusion Place. It ain’t the Pho joint. And I totally dig all those kinds of food. What’s going to make Starkville food thrive is talented restaurant concept guys & talented operators serve badass authentic to the area food. Not weirdo niche stuff (and I’m in to all kinds of weirdo niche stuff). There are already some doing that and more and more are jumping in.