Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New places in Starkville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    So did Abner?s go out of business? I stopped eating there many years ago after learning who owned them.
    They did in Starkville and pretty much everywhere else, except maybe Oxford.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SandlotDawg View Post
    Starkville needs a really good steakhouse in my opinion. I think that?s about the only thing we?re missing food wise that is.
    One of the new restaurants is CHAR....really good. They have one near the Campus at the University of Memphis and it is excellent.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    I may be in the minority but I'd like to see one of these:

https://pappadeaux.com/menu/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Cappe?s and Veranda are your steakhouses and both are good. MSU needs a killer southern restaurant. Blue plates at lunch and a few more ambitious (culinarily speaking) southern rooted entrees at dinner. Have a bar with craft beer, southern inspired cocktail menu, solid wine list, and zero drink specials so it will be food focused and not a college bar crowd and more family friendly. I?d actually prefer the bar/lounge kind of private. Southern art decor with blues music. Nice clean casual but not fine dining. That?s off the top of my head.
    That genre is overplayed in Mississippi IMO.

You already have Cappes, Veranda, Starkville Cafe, etc that all serve blue plates.

It's time for Mississippi towns to start branching out & seeing the bigger picture of what works in college towns in other parts of the country.

That why I said a taco bar like Torchys is very much needed. Or a place like Tokyo Joes japanese restuarant or Zoes Kitchen Mediterranean place.

Point is that for some reason Mississippi people only think in terms of blue plate, chicken tenders, or sandwiches & the genre is WAY over saturated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    I ate there a couple times probably 5 years ago and wasn?t impressed. May have changed since then.
    Old Hickory is he best in the business but it’s in Columbus. Buckley’s in Memphis is the best in that city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    You?re both right. It?s a car wash named Sonic.

Actually- he is close on Sonic. - the building where CJs pizza/golden scissors was between old Denny?s and Starbucks is rumored to be torn down soon and a more modern type Sonic will be built there as well. A lady cutting hair at GS a while back was talking about losing their lease bc of this being the plan according to the buildings owner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

You already have Cappes, Veranda, Starkville Cafe, etc that all serve blue plates.

It's time for Mississippi towns to start branching out & seeing the bigger picture of what works in college towns in other parts of the country.

That why I said a taco bar like Torchys is very much needed. Or a place like Tokyo Joes japanese restuarant or Zoes Kitchen Mediterranean place.

Point is that for some reason Mississippi people only think in terms of blue plate, chicken tenders, or sandwiches & the genre is WAY over saturated.
    You just TOTALLY stereo-typed 3 Million “Mississippians” which is just stupid. Oh by the way, Starkville has Mexican restuarants all over it including a couple of just Taco type places like Salsaritas, so spare my ass if some people like BLUE PLATE American food. Lord have mercy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Killer southern with more ambitious dinner is along the lines of Lou’s Full Serve, Manship House, Drago’s, Crechales’s, Ga Blue, etc.... You serve blue plates at lunch to make money and pay the bills. If you think southern cuisine is played out, you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Name me a few top restaurants in Oxford & Hattiesburg (other college towns so we’re apples to apples) and tell me what they serve. Starkville has Tyler and Veranda is that realm. They both have their own distinct niche and flavor and there is room for another.

Another Japanese and Mediterranean to Starkville.... LMAO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsofAnarchy View Post
    You just TOTALLY stereo-typed 3 Million “Mississippians” which is just stupid. Oh by the way, Starkville has Mexican restuarants all over it including a couple of just Taco type places like Salsaritas, so spare my ass if some people like BLUE PLATE American food. Lord have mercy.
    Exactly. Starkville needs more Mexican or Japanese like it needs a the no cold beer Law back. American Greek could work but a true Mediterranean restaurant in Starkville is asking for bankruptcy. You think Starkville is going to support chicken shawarma, falafel, and tabbouleh? Lmao

Best restaurants in Hatty? All RSJ’s joints. Southern cuisine. Best restaurants in Oxford? City Grocery and Ajax. Southern Cuisine. Best restaurants in Metro? Shapley’s, Lou’s, Manship House, Crechale’s, Walker’s, Local 463... Southern cuisine. You catch my drift?

[that list of restaurants is off the top of my head and not all inclusive]

vCash
    Personally, I’d like some more authentic type places similar to Starkville cafe. Especially breakfast. City bagel and Starkville Cafe are great places to eat breakfast buts it’s dang near impossible to eat there on a Saturday sometimes. If we had a couple more places like that, I’d be happy. I’d also like to tear down these dumpy hotels and other eyesores along Hwy 12. Am I alone in that line of thinking?

vCash
    Cappe?s and Veranda are your steakhouses and both are good. MSU needs a killer southern restaurant. Blue plates at lunch and a few more ambitious (culinarily speaking) southern rooted entrees at dinner. Have a bar with craft beer, southern inspired cocktail menu, solid wine list, and zero drink specials so it will be food focused and not a college bar crowd and more family friendly. I?d actually prefer the bar/lounge kind of private. Southern art decor with blues music. Nice clean casual but not fine dining. That?s off the top of my head.
    That sounds like southern ale house in Tuscaloosa. If you?ve never had it, I highly recommend it. I would love a place like that in Starkville.

vCash
    Starkville needs a good Italian place.

Banned
    vCash
    If you want new restaurants, you should all be rooting for increased enrollment and more companies to come and locate at GTR Aeroplex.

vCash
    Personally, I’d like some more authentic type places similar to Starkville cafe. Especially breakfast. City bagel and Starkville Cafe are great places to eat breakfast buts it’s dang near impossible to eat there on a Saturday sometimes. If we had a couple more places like that, I’d be happy. I’d also like to tear down these dumpy hotels and other eyesores along Hwy 12. Am I alone in that line of thinking?
    You're certainly right about the dumpy hotels ... the whole city would be better off if they were demolished and replaced with new ones. I've stayed in a couple of them when a decent hotel in Starkville didn't exist.

You can't just build a Starkville Cafe overnight ... it's a tradition that takes a long time to develop. The atmosphere is just as good as the food and it can't really be duplicated. I've been to City Bagel once and thought it was OK. It was on a Sunday morning of a game weekend and it was crowded with students who got up pretty early. I like the coffee shop downtown ... 121 or something of the sort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    Starkville needs a good Italian place.
    You ever been to City Bagel at night? It’s authentic, legitimate Italian that stacks up with any Italian restaurant you can name in this state

vCash
    That sounds like southern ale house in Tuscaloosa. If you?ve never had it, I highly recommend it. I would love a place like that in Starkville.
    Hell all I know about that place is the name and I like it. That’s a name that works in the south

vCash
    You ever been to City Bagel at night? It’s authentic, legitimate Italian that stacks up with any Italian restaurant you can name in this state
    You were asking Drummer, but I'll answer for myself ... no, never been to City Bagel at night, and had no idea it was Italian. I'll have to give it a try this fall. Probably need to be prepared to wait though.

There was a pretty upscale place downtown 2 or 3 years ago that was Italian, and I thought really good. Can't remember the name but I think it closed for some reason. The time I was there it was packed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    You were asking Drummer, but I'll answer for myself ... no, never been to City Bagel at night, and had no idea it was Italian. I'll have to give it a try this fall. Probably need to be prepared to wait though.

There was a pretty upscale place downtown 2 or 3 years ago that was Italian, and I thought really good. Can't remember the name but I think it closed for some reason. The time I was there it was packed.
    They do Italian pasta and Pizza at night wed-sat and it’s incredible. Everything homeade down to the pizza crust and pasta. Old Venice was average at best Italian. If you liked there, you’ll love City Bagel. Oh ya, it’s bring your own bottle so bring some vino with you.

And I saw your earlier comment about breakfast. That place is overwhelming on a gameday, a zoo sometimes. But the wait is worth it. Get a red pepper Parmesan Bagel with double egg, sausage, and pimento cheese. Get a piece of coffee cake too and split it with your lady. Large latte with an extra shot (ya they make those too). You’re welcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    You're certainly right about the dumpy hotels ... the whole city would be better off if they were demolished and replaced with new ones. I've stayed in a couple of them when a decent hotel in Starkville didn't exist.

You can't just build a Starkville Cafe overnight ... it's a tradition that takes a long time to develop. The atmosphere is just as good as the food and it can't really be duplicated. I've been to City Bagel once and thought it was OK. It was on a Sunday morning of a game weekend and it was crowded with students who got up pretty early. I like the coffee shop downtown ... 121 or something of the sort.
    Yeah it’s 929! Great atmosphere and I may get some flack for this, but it’s better than strange brew

vCash
    You ever been to City Bagel at night? It?s authentic, legitimate Italian that stacks up with any Italian restaurant you can name in this state
    Yea so that's not an Italian place, it's a bagel place that does Italian a few times a week at night.