Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The #1 reason why it's taking longer than we want in basketball...

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    What I am saying is that argument is one used against Stans.
    100% the reason Stans isn't here anymore. He kept missing on guys over and over and over. There's many contributing factors/ways to a guy being a "miss". Stans didn't develop players well, he didn't have a functioning S&C program, he didn't have discipline, he went after high-risk guys, he let drugs erode his program etc...but at the end of the day a miss is a miss is a miss no matter how he ended up being one. Stansbury had way too many of them and Howland is trending in the same direction. I like Howland a lot but you can not have misses. Period. Misses get you fired. He needs to get off his ass and replace the 3 gigantic misses we have currently killing our program and the only way he's gonna do that is by adding transfers or euros ASAP. Three of them need to get added to this class and are able to play for us next year. Get on it Mr. 3 Final Fours. I am rooting for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    is 5* Malik Newman, 4* Mario Kegler and 4* Schnider Herard all ditching on Howland. All three of those guys should either be starting or contributing major minutes if they were the players we thought we signed. They are three major misses and it's killing us. He hasn't had enough time to replace them with equal or better talent. Howland's signing classes aren't nearly as impressive after losing those three guys. We need Howland to step it up in recruiting to make up for those losses. He does have a nice class coming in but he needs to get some transfers/euros that can play next year and he needs to trim the fat on a couple guys potentially.
    While you have some valid points, you are the same guy that said, we just need to have 13 guys on scholarship, I do t care who they are. Fact is, you need talented guys w some veteran leadership to succeed. Even Kentucky agrees.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    While you have some valid points, you are the same guy that said, we just need to have 13 guys on scholarship, I do t care who they are. Fact is, you need talented guys w some veteran leadership to succeed. Even Kentucky agrees.
    Talk about twisting words. Find one post when I said "I don't care who they are" with regards to signing ALL of our allowed scholarships. A huge reason why I wanted ALL scholarships filled is because it helps in case you have a miss. You're confusing a dire situation in Rick Ray's first year with how I view every season should be approached. When I said I wanted Rick Ray to add some walk-ons immediately it was literally days after he flew to ****ing Hawaii with 7 scholarship players and we proceeded to get our shit pushed in by 40 points to every other team there. Our depth was so putrid that year we almost had to play with only 4 guys on the court during the last two minutes of the game vs Bama. That season and those comments I made about walk-ons was an anomaly season. No coach should ever let their roster get so depleted they don't even have scholarship players and walk-ons available to play a full five guys on the court. That's what was going on in Ray's first season.
    Last edited by Dawg61; 01-21-2018 at 01:47 AM.

vCash
    None of those three were losses. They were overhyped players. I?m still sticking with Howland is done next year without a NCAA bid and that ain?t likely to happen and we all know it.

vCash

If Brooks had come, Perry wouldn?t have

Wish we had kept Brooks but Perry will be better.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    None of those three were losses. They were overhyped players.
    They are misses. Period. Can't have them in basketball if you aren't immediately replacing them with something better.

vCash
    We want 4-5* basketball players we just don't want the ones that transfer/quit/get kicked off/or suck. Seems like it's a 50/50 or worse gamble on each one. This is another reason I want transfers and foreigners. They seem to be safer bets. Misses kill your program. Find a way to eliminate misses and you'll find a tourney team as long as you aren't signing SWAC players just so they don't transfer.
    You?re right. 3 of our starting 5 on that 2004 team were all transfers. Roberts, Powers, and Vincent.

vCash
    It pretty simple to Me why this team is underachieving. Peters, he played like last Years Peters in the second half and we played our asses off. All we need to win , and I will say it again.
    1. Peters, play like the second half.
    2. Ado, quit fouling setting screens.
    3. Holman shoot the 17ing ball.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaggardDawg View Post
    You?re right. 3 of our starting 5 on that 2004 team were all transfers. Roberts, Powers, and Vincent.
    And how many transfers did Stansbury add after that year in his final eight seasons? A shitload less than the amount of transfer outs or misses.

vCash
    Good post 61 b/c even if we justify it as fans w/Malik & Kegler being drama queens, that’s a character miss on us we should have known recruiting them. If Herard was a raw and wanted a bigger role, yet another thing we should have known during recruiting. Regardless of how those guys turn out to be as players, it’s 3 high profile recruits we got essentially zilch from. That’s a huge hole as 61 has pointed out.

vCash
    Tired of excuses.

vCash
    None of those three were losses. They were overhyped players. I?m still sticking with Howland is done next year without a NCAA bid and that ain?t likely to happen and we all know it.
    Wow.. just ****ing wow. If you don’t think Kegler is a HUGE loss at the 4..
    that’s the biggest hole on our team right now

vCash
    Kegler was ****ing good
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Kegler was ****ing good
    And we knew the deal with him and his advisor from the jump. Everyone on the metro area knew it when he was in 9th grade. So not making that work is a miss. There were no surprises

Banned
    vCash
    A starting lineup of
    Peters
    Newman
    Kegler
    Holman
    Ado
    is nasty. Problem is two of those guys refuse to play the position they are best suited for.

vCash
    A starting lineup of
    Peters
    Newman
    Kegler
    Holman
    Ado
    is nasty. Problem is two of those guys refuse to play the position they are best suited for.
    and who were their handlers???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Wow.. just ****ing wow. If you don’t think Kegler is a HUGE loss at the 4..
    that’s the biggest hole on our team right now
    Kegler showed up some times. But just like the rest of the players, his development (what he could be) sucked. Was he ahead of what we've got now? Yes, when he decided to do it. But still, you guys are clinging to one player, when more than that was given as the original reason we suck (losing those guys). So, we've lost one player that was somewhat productive. One............now lets come up with a better argument that losing all those guys is why we suck.
    We suck because our coaching sucks. There's no development. There's no teaching/coaching of offense whatsoever. I'd even say there's a lack of discipline. That's why we suck. This is Stans 2.0 almost. But we're not even that good.

vCash
    Kegler showed up some times. But just like the rest of the players, his development (what he could be) sucked. Was he ahead of what we've got now? Yes, when he decided to do it. But still, you guys are clinging to one player, when more than that was given as the original reason we suck (losing those guys). So, we've lost one player that was somewhat productive. One............now lets come up with a better argument that losing all those guys is why we suck.
    We suck because our coaching sucks. There's no development. There's no teaching/coaching of offense whatsoever. I'd even say there's a lack of discipline. That's why we suck. This is Stans 2.0 almost. But we're not even that good.
    Kegler gave us 10/5 a night last year as a true freshman. His loss is huge and instead of him on the floor we are putting Datcher, Feazell, and Wright out there
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    However you want to label it he is still a gigantic miss by Howland and it hurts us bad. Not only do you totally miss out on any production you were counting on but you also didn't add any of the other guys in the class you could/would have signed had Herard never came here. Same for Newman same for Kegler. You can not miss on guys you expect to be starters or major contributors especially if you aren't Kentucky/Duke and already have a system in place to bring up the next stud.
    Production and Herard should never be used in the same sentence.
    No Signature

vCash

I will just say this ..
    When it comes to basketball posts it’s better for you to read more and post less.