Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's announcers really summed up our basketball program

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Basketball schools compete for National Titles and make regular deep runs in the tournament. We have 2 Final 8, 1 Final Four, and that is it. We won a lot of weak OOC games, weak SEC games, and some years gave UK and UF a run for their money.

UF has been in 17 NCAAs in 30 years (basically the beginn8ng of the Williams-Stands “regime” as Liverdud calls it), won 2 Nattys, and been to 5 Final Fours.
    Arkansas has been in 17 NCAAS in 30 years, won 1 Natty, and been to 3 Final Fours
    UT has been in 12 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in 5 Sweet 16s
    LSU has been in 11 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in a Final Four

Those sound like basketball schools.

UGA has been to as many NCAAs as us in 30 years. Shitty ass UGA. We are not, and never were a basketball school.
    I think there is a miscommunication. What's being said and what's being heard are 2 different things. Anybody denying what Williams and Stans did is just a person with an axe to grind and when you get to that point, you lose all sense of reality. To keep bringing him back up (as was the intent of this thread) serves no point except to DEMAND others to believe that they were right gosh darn it. Trying to convince themselves by lashing out at others. wording stats to try and make a point and following that up with saying the fans are the stupid ones because we were never a basketball school.

And it's all to try and convince themselves that they were right gosh darn it and I don't care what you say! I'm a winner! ...... and nobody is really living back then except the ones who preached and demanded that Stans be fired.

People like me have moved on except to keep people from distorting the past. Howland will win unless people try to force him out too soon. We are all trying to look forward except for when distorted facts are presented. To keep bringing it up with every loss we have as justification isn't needed and serves no purpose.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think there is a miscommunication. What's being said and what's being heard are 2 different things. Anybody denying what Williams and Stans did is just a person with an axe to grind and when you get to that point, you lose all sense of reality. To keep bringing him back up (as was the intent of this thread) serves no point except to DEMAND others to believe that they were right gosh darn it. Trying to convince themselves by lashing out at others. wording stats to try and make a point and following that up with saying the fans are the stupid ones because we were never a basketball school.

And it's all to try and convince themselves that they were right gosh darn it and I don't care what you say! I'm a winner! ...... and nobody is really living back then except the ones who preached and demanded that Stans be fired.

People like me have moved on except to keep people from distorting the past. Howland will win unless people try to force him out too soon. We are all trying to look forward except for when distorted facts are presented. To keep bringing it up with every loss we have as justification isn't needed and serves no purpose.
    Did I give any negative opinion on Stansbury or any coach? No. You would probably be shocked to know I thought he had earned a chance to turn it around and should have been given a chance to do so. I put those stats up there to show people who believe that we had anything more than an above average SEC team other than about 3 seasons over the past 30 years some reality. Williams and Stands were good coaches, they brought us respectability. They also had an advantage of playing in a divided SEC, where many years 9-6 or 8-7 won the division and gave you a 1 seed in the SEC - which could set you up for a nice run. We took advantage of that. Great. But, that should never give people the illusion that we were Kentucky or UT, UF, or Arkansas.

The funniest thing about so many people melting this season is how much this team is like most of Stands teams. We played a weak OOC, just like Stands teams did every year (differencing being we won them all and didn’t have 3 WTF losses by SEC play). We are undisciplined, just like most of Stands teams. If we pull together and grow, we stand a shot at going .500 in SEC play, just like most Stands teams. If we do, we could be on the bubble, unless we have a run at the SEC tourney and get an auto bid, just like a number of Stands teams. If we make a nice SEC run but don’t get an auto bid, we will just miss the NCAAs due to that weak OOC, just like Stands teams. We have a lot of talent, but can’t get it together consistently, like most Stands teams. The biggest difference - Stands always had a guy who could shoot lights out.

We play like we have the last 2-3 game and the wins will come - putting us at roughly 21 wins. And where is that? Pretty much where Stands had us every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Basketball schools compete for National Titles and make regular deep runs in the tournament. We have 2 Final 8, 1 Final Four, and that is it. We won a lot of weak OOC games, weak SEC games, and some years gave UK and UF a run for their money.

UF has been in 17 NCAAs in 30 years (basically the beginn8ng of the Williams-Stands “regime” as Liverdud calls it), won 2 Nattys, and been to 5 Final Fours.
    Arkansas has been in 17 NCAAS in 30 years, won 1 Natty, and been to 3 Final Fours
    UT has been in 12 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in 5 Sweet 16s
    LSU has been in 11 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in a Final Four

Those sound like basketball schools.

UGA has been to as many NCAAs as us in 30 years. Shitty ass UGA. We are not, and never were a basketball school.
    We were there for a very brief period under the Babe. You can blame us not staying there on our racist past in Mississippi. Richard Williams had us there again, and Stans had us very close. All three of those periods were pretty much as close as our much praised and overrated baseball program has ever been, and with a forth of the same effort, and that's being generous.

vCash
    I don't understand why people keep saying we have low basketball IQ. Hell a blind man can tell we are having trouble putting a round ball into a round hoop....

Banned
    vCash
    I agree that in no way should basketball school and MSU be in the same sentence. I think some here are just saying it would be nice to be mediocre again.

vCash
    Mens basketball has become an afterthought here. Say what you want but Stans made postseason play 11 times. Now nobody gives a shit and I dont blame them.

We have no culture we dont get along, too many me's and not enough we.

vCash
    Sherrill won only one SEC West title but he's The Kang

vCash
    All we have to do to make the NIT is win a few games. Our SOS is already up to 144 and our RPI will be around 60 after we play Kentucky. We have 5-6 attainable wins left on the schedule. Get it done
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    All we have to do to make the NIT is win a few games. Our SOS is already up to 144 and our RPI will be around 60 after we play Kentucky. We have 5-6 attainable wins left on the schedule. Get it done
    I will be thrilled if we can somehow get in the nit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    We need 10 SEC wins to get in the tourney - our 144 SOS has pretty much caused that.

What will be interesting to see how the board reacts if Stans gets WKU in the tourney in year 2. Currently they have an RPI of 46. They probably need to win their tourney, but they have a top 25 SOS and will most likely be a bubble team down the stretch.
    I am not sure they have to win the conference. That Purdue win could get them in assuming they are around the top of their conference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I am not sure they have to win the conference. That Purdue win could get them in assuming they are around the top of their conference
    I didn't look at their schedule, can't believe they beat Purdue.

I was not in the fire Stans crowd, so it would be interesting to see how the board would react to Stans making the tourney in year 2 at WKU while we are in year 6 of a rebuild. I'm sure most people would be happy for Stans............................................. .................................................. ..........

vCash
    I didn't look at their schedule, can't believe they beat Purdue.

I was not in the fire Stans crowd, so it would be interesting to see how the board would react to Stans making the tourney in year 2 at WKU while we are in year 6 of a rebuild. I'm sure most people would be happy for Stans............................................. .................................................. ..........
    Western Kentucky has made the NCAA Tourney 4 times the last 10 years and has more appearances in their history than State does. Making it there would surprise nobody. You get fired when you dont

vCash
    Since joining CUSA they haven't been - and they used to run rough shod over the Sun Belt, but they haven't been at large worthy since Darrin Horn's kids were there in 2009.

If Stans get them an at large bid, it will be an accomplishment.
    Good info. I had no idea they have missed the tourney so much lately

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Good info. I had no idea they have missed the tourney so much lately
    made it back to back in 2012 and 2013. This is only their 4th year in Conf USA- 15-17 last year under Stands

They were 21-11 in 2014 and didnt make it
    They were 20-12 in 2015 and didnt make it

vCash
    made it back to back in 2012 and 2013. This is only their 4th year in Conf USA- 15-17 last year under Stands

They were 21-11 in 2014 and didnt make it
    They were 20-12 in 2015 and didnt make it
    Ahhh... I missed the at large part. Thought he said they have missed the tourney since 2009

vCash
    Since joining CUSA they haven't been - and they used to run rough shod over the Sun Belt, but they haven't been at large worthy since Darrin Horn's kids were there in 2009.

If Stans get them an at large bid, it will be an accomplishment.
    At large worthy is a narrow, narrow window in a mid-major conference. They have had 3 appearances since Horn left in ?09. That?s 3 more than we?ve had. It?s not like Stands inherited a rebuild either, although they were short handed due to 3 players being kicked out of school (which resulted in Ray Harper resigning). Harper took Jax St to the NCAAs in his first year last year, turning around a team that went 8-23 the year before. Should win the OVC this year sitting at 15-6.

vCash
    In the last 13 basketball seasons- we have made the NCAA Tourney TWICE. 2 times- in the 13 years.
    And, the LAST winning team was when? And, WHO led the unending campaign against said coach?
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    And, the LAST winning team was when? And, WHO led the unending campaign against said coach?
    All I know is that you can pick any consecutive five year term during Stans' tenure and you are going to find two trips to the NCAA tourney in those five years. He was a good coach. I wish we still had his level of success here, I don't want him back, but I would love to have his results back.

vCash
    Stansbury won more SEC Championships in his last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12. Mississippi State 8. (Florida 6) Western Conference Champion: 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010. SEC Tournament Champion: 2002, 2009. Overall SEC Champion: 2004. Under the leadership of Stansbury, MSU's teams were always a threat in the SEC Tournament, reaching the finals of the tournament four times, winning twice. His SEC Tournament record is 16-12. 6

Kind of speaks for itself.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Stansbury won more SEC Championships in his last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12. Mississippi State 8. (Florida 6) Western Conference Champion: 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010. SEC Tournament Champion: 2002, 2009. Overall SEC Champion: 2004. Under the leadership of Stansbury, MSU's teams were always a threat in the SEC Tournament, reaching the finals of the tournament four times, winning twice. His SEC Tournament record is 16-12. 6

Kind of speaks for itself.
    ouch.