Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's announcers really summed up our basketball program

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    2 NCAA Tourneys in the last 13 years. That means we were one of the best 68 teams in the country only twice in the 13 years. That shows our fans clearly think we were better than we actually were
    Ill just say that the casual sports fan in the southeast believed basketball has historically been our best sport. Even women will respond ?oh y?all used to be great in basketball? when I say I graduated from state.

Perception isn?t always reality but making all those tournaments, winning the west all those years, and the final four run in the 90?s left a perception in most people?s minds that our program was one of the SEC?s top. This isn?t even debatable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    And most of the time with a 9-7 / 10-6 record
    There is a reason Stands was the ONLY coach that didn’t vote for the current SEC alignment ...
    I would LOVE to be 9-7 in the SEC, NOW.

vCash
    Know, he left early (may have gotten his doctorate in that one year), Dontae Jones got any eligibility left?****

vCash
    Howland will get us there.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    And most of the time with a 9-7 / 10-6 record
    There is a reason Stands was the ONLY coach that didn?t vote for the current SEC alignment ...
    This^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I would LOVE to be 9-7 in the SEC, NOW.
    If those teams back then had the schedule like it is now . I am guessing lots of those 9-7 teams wouldn’t haven’t gotten to 9.

vCash
    If those teams back then had the schedule like it is now . I am guessing lots of those 9-7 teams wouldn’t haven’t gotten to 9.
    But they did, and we haven't even sniffed it since. Suicide is never pretty.

vCash
    While I enjoyed the years we have made the NCAA, I have never thought of us as a basketball school. We were competitive, and had some years with some real talent and some incredible runs.

Maybe it?s because I was on campus during a window of shitty basketball (91-92 season thru the first half of the 94-95 seasons) and only saw 1 good team, I don?t have some overblown feeling of nostalgia for it.

People need to get a grip on our history. 9 trips to the NCAA in 55 years is not a basketball school. It just isn?t. So when we are good I enjoy it. When we suck, it really doesn?t surprise me.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Liverpooldawg;875175]But they did, and we haven't even sniffed it since. Suicide is never pretty.[/QUOT

It’s like trying to reason with a child or a Umiss fan..
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 01-20-2018 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    While I enjoyed the years we have made the NCAA, I have never thought of us as a basketball school. We were competitive, and had some years with some real talent and some incredible runs.

Maybe it?s because I was on campus during a window of shitty basketball (91-92 season thru the first half of the 94-95 seasons) and only saw 1 good team, I don?t have some overblown feeling of nostalgia for it.

People need to get a grip on our history. 9 trips to the NCAA in 55 years is not a basketball school. It just isn?t. So when we are good I enjoy it. When we suck, it really doesn?t surprise me.
    During the Williams-Stansbury regime we were as close as it gets to a basketball school in the SEC outside of the border school at Lexington. We had been there once before under the Babe. The failure to recognize that UK dominance and our own station relative to it is what lead to our sorry state now. We were close for a while, twice. We cut our own throats by getting ahead of the game in our minds.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Ari Gold;875180]
    But they did, and we haven't even sniffed it since. Suicide is never pretty.[/QUOT

It’s like trying to reason with a child or a Umiss fan..
    Yes it is.

vCash
    During the Williams-Stansbury regime we were as close as it gets to a basketball school in the SEC outside of the border school at Lexington. We had been there once before under the Babe. The failure to recognize that UK dominance and our own station relative to it is what lead to our sorry state now. We were close for a while, twice. We cut our own throats by getting ahead of the game in our minds.
    Basketball schools compete for National Titles and make regular deep runs in the tournament. We have 2 Final 8, 1 Final Four, and that is it. We won a lot of weak OOC games, weak SEC games, and some years gave UK and UF a run for their money.

UF has been in 17 NCAAs in 30 years (basically the beginn8ng of the Williams-Stands “regime” as Liverdud calls it), won 2 Nattys, and been to 5 Final Fours.
    Arkansas has been in 17 NCAAS in 30 years, won 1 Natty, and been to 3 Final Fours
    UT has been in 12 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in 5 Sweet 16s
    LSU has been in 11 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in a Final Four

Those sound like basketball schools.

UGA has been to as many NCAAs as us in 30 years. Shitty ass UGA. We are not, and never were a basketball school.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-21-2018 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    Basketball schools compete for National Titles and make regular deep runs in the tournament. We have 2 Final 8, 1 Final Four, and that is it. We won a lot of weak OOC games, weak SEC games, and some years gave UK and UF a run for their money.

UF has been in 17 NCAAs in 30 years (basically the beginn8ng of the Williams-Stands “regime” as Liverdud calls it), won 2 Nattys, and been to 5 Final Fours.
    Arkansas has been in 17 NCAAS in 30 years, won 1 Natty, and been to 3 Final Fours

UGA has been to as many NCAAs as us in 30 years. Shitty ass UGA. We are not, and never were a basketball school.
    I think there is a miscommunication. What's being said and what's being heard are 2 different things. Anybody denying what Williams and Stans did is just a person with an axe to grind and when you get to that point, you lose all sense of reality. To keep bringing him back up (as was the intent of this thread) serves no point except to DEMAND others to believe that they were right gosh darn it. Trying to convince themselves by lashing out at others. wording stats to try and make a point and following that up with saying the fans are the stupid ones because we were never a basketball school.

And it's all to try and convince themselves that they were right gosh darn it and I don't care what you say! I'm a winner! ...... and nobody is really living back then except the ones who preached and demanded that Stans be fired.

People like me have moved on except to keep people from distorting the past. Howland will win unless people try to force him out too soon. We are all trying to look forward except for when distorted facts are presented. To keep bringing it up with every loss we have as justification isn't needed and serves no purpose.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash

We were there for a very brief period under the Babe. You can blame us not staying there on our racist past in Mississippi. Richard Williams had us there again, and Stans had us very close. All three of those periods were pretty much as close as our much praised and overrated baseball program has ever been, and with a forth of the same effort, and that's being generous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Stansbury led his team to postseason tournament play 11 times in 14 seasons (six NCAA and five NIT tournaments), with five consecutive post-season tournament appearances, the first MSU basketball coach in history to accomplish this feat.
    aGAIN- We have made 2 NCAA?s in the last 13 seasons. Those numbers speak for themselves. Hell- we are likely an NIT team this year- yet that doesn?t seem to make anybody around here happy
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I don't understand why people keep saying we have low basketball IQ. Hell a blind man can tell we are having trouble putting a round ball into a round hoop....

Banned
    vCash
    I agree that in no way should basketball school and MSU be in the same sentence. I think some here are just saying it would be nice to be mediocre again.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    aGAIN- We have made 2 NCAA?s in the last 13 seasons. Those numbers speak for themselves. Hell- we are likely an NIT team this year- yet that doesn?t seem to make anybody around here happy
    Because from 1991-2009 (most of my lifetime) we went to the NCAA tournament 9 times in 19 years. I was one who wanted Stans gone after we had people fighting in the stands and embarrassing the school, but what has happened since he left is completely unacceptable and our administration and coaches who have lead this shit show should be ashamed that they let it get this way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think there is a miscommunication. What's being said and what's being heard are 2 different things. Anybody denying what Williams and Stans did is just a person with an axe to grind and when you get to that point, you lose all sense of reality. To keep bringing him back up (as was the intent of this thread) serves no point except to DEMAND others to believe that they were right gosh darn it. Trying to convince themselves by lashing out at others. wording stats to try and make a point and following that up with saying the fans are the stupid ones because we were never a basketball school.

And it's all to try and convince themselves that they were right gosh darn it and I don't care what you say! I'm a winner! ...... and nobody is really living back then except the ones who preached and demanded that Stans be fired.

People like me have moved on except to keep people from distorting the past. Howland will win unless people try to force him out too soon. We are all trying to look forward except for when distorted facts are presented. To keep bringing it up with every loss we have as justification isn't needed and serves no purpose.
    Did I give any negative opinion on Stansbury or any coach? No. You would probably be shocked to know I thought he had earned a chance to turn it around and should have been given a chance to do so. I put those stats up there to show people who believe that we had anything more than an above average SEC team other than about 3 seasons over the past 30 years some reality. Williams and Stands were good coaches, they brought us respectability. They also had an advantage of playing in a divided SEC, where many years 9-6 or 8-7 won the division and gave you a 1 seed in the SEC - which could set you up for a nice run. We took advantage of that. Great. But, that should never give people the illusion that we were Kentucky or UT, UF, or Arkansas.

The funniest thing about so many people melting this season is how much this team is like most of Stands teams. We played a weak OOC, just like Stands teams did every year (differencing being we won them all and didn’t have 3 WTF losses by SEC play). We are undisciplined, just like most of Stands teams. If we pull together and grow, we stand a shot at going .500 in SEC play, just like most Stands teams. If we do, we could be on the bubble, unless we have a run at the SEC tourney and get an auto bid, just like a number of Stands teams. If we make a nice SEC run but don’t get an auto bid, we will just miss the NCAAs due to that weak OOC, just like Stands teams. We have a lot of talent, but can’t get it together consistently, like most Stands teams. The biggest difference - Stands always had a guy who could shoot lights out.

We play like we have the last 2-3 game and the wins will come - putting us at roughly 21 wins. And where is that? Pretty much where Stands had us every year.

vCash
    Well go watch him coach Western ky..
    Come On Ari I agree with most of your post. But this is what you have got. Weak. We can talk about our ex coaches, to compare our current coach with our most successful coach on a message board make perfect sense. And I will keep up with Stans and watch Him win his Conference.
    Last edited by tcdog70; 01-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.