Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's announcers really summed up our basketball program

vCash
    Mens basketball has become an afterthought here. Say what you want but Stans made postseason play 11 times. Now nobody gives a shit and I dont blame them.

We have no culture we dont get along, too many me's and not enough we.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Because from 1991-2009 (most of my lifetime) we went to the NCAA tournament 9 times in 19 years. I was one who wanted Stans gone after we had people fighting in the stands and embarrassing the school, but what has happened since he left is completely unacceptable and our administration and coaches who have lead this shit show should be ashamed that they let it get this way.
    The biggest elephant in the room and the biggest cautionary tale that I could tell anyone for basketball is when you fire a coach you damn well better upgrade the position or at least fire him when he has a shitty record and hasn’t left the cupboard bare. I agreed with letting Stansbury go at the time but you don’t fire him when A) we had just won 20+ games and made an NIT appearance and B) you don’t fire him when he left the cupboard bare. If Stricklin fires him a year earlier or a year later, we are in great shape to hire a new coach. We also saw a coaching search with Stricklin in selecting Ray that rivaled only Tennessee’s recent football coaching search in incompetence. You have to have a plan and a plan a, b, c, and d in place. Stricklin didn’t. If you want to know why our program was set back a decade look no further then the Florida AD Loafers and his self imposed three year death penalty. Ray’s three years of roster mismanagement, shitty recruiting, and shitty coaching is why it will take Coach Howland four years to get us back to the dance. Howland will get us back. Give him time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    aGAIN- We have made 2 NCAA?s in the last 13 seasons. Those numbers speak for themselves. Hell- we are likely an NIT team this year- yet that doesn?t seem to make anybody around here happy
    What is your point to this thread? It’s taken Pearl four years to get Auburn back to the dance and they haven’t been since 2003. It took Frank Martin 4+ years to get USC to the tournament. Thanks to Rick Ray’s three years of absolute shit, we were those kinds of rebuilds.

vCash
    This is John Cohen baseball dejavu. Howland will get us to the tournament. We will get there in year 4.

vCash
    Sherrill won only one SEC West title but he's The Kang

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    The biggest elephant in the room and the biggest cautionary tale that I could tell anyone for basketball is when you fire a coach you damn well better upgrade the position or at least fire him when he has a shitty record and hasn’t left the cupboard bare. I agreed with letting Stansbury go at the time but you don’t fire him when A) we had just won 20+ games and made an NIT appearance and B) you don’t fire him when he left the cupboard bare. If Stricklin fires him a year earlier or a year later, we are in great shape to hire a new coach. We also saw a coaching search with Stricklin in selecting Ray that rivaled only Tennessee’s recent football coaching search in incompetence. You have to have a plan and a plan a, b, c, and d in place. Stricklin didn’t. If you want to know why our program was set back a decade look no further then the Florida AD Loafers and his self imposed three year death penalty. Ray’s three years of roster mismanagement, shitty recruiting, and shitty coaching is why it will take Coach Howland four years to get us back to the dance. Howland will get us back. Give him time.
    And we paid him $1M/year to do all that.

vCash
    A) Great point on firing Stands when we did. We should have waited one more year so he would have bottomed out and nobody could say a word about it.

B) Ray's recruiting was a by-product of our refusal to continue to sponsor AAU programs during his tenure. You dont sponsor- you dont sign.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    And we paid him $1M/year to do all that.
    And Thank God that guy that approved that is at Fla now..

vCash
    A) Great point on firing Stands when we did. We should have waited one more year so he would have bottomed out and nobody could say a word about it.

B) Ray's recruiting was a by-product of our refusal to continue to sponsor AAU programs during his tenure. You dont sponsor- you dont sign.
    Even had we sponsored AAU programs, do you honestly think that moron could sign anything more then a 2 or 3 star? One of the main reasons we fired him (aside from the incompetence and total lack of coaching) was because we basically would have missed out on every legacy we had and that would have buried our program even worse then it is now.

vCash
    aGAIN- We have made 2 NCAA?s in the last 13 seasons. Those numbers speak for themselves. Hell- we are likely an NIT team this year- yet that doesn?t seem to make anybody around here happy
    I'd be shocked if this team makes any sort of postseason play. They're heartless and not good. SOS doesn't lie, and we played one of - it not the - worst schedules in the NCAA so far. That we're being exposed in SEC play is the least surprising part of this season. We hired the bootleg version of Stands. Postseason play this year or GTFO should be what Cohen tells Howland.
    Last edited by War Machine Dawg; 01-21-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Did I give any negative opinion on Stansbury or any coach? No. You would probably be shocked to know I thought he had earned a chance to turn it around and should have been given a chance to do so. I put those stats up there to show people who believe that we had anything more than an above average SEC team other than about 3 seasons over the past 30 years some reality. Williams and Stands were good coaches, they brought us respectability. They also had an advantage of playing in a divided SEC, where many years 9-6 or 8-7 won the division and gave you a 1 seed in the SEC - which could set you up for a nice run. We took advantage of that. Great. But, that should never give people the illusion that we were Kentucky or UT, UF, or Arkansas.

The funniest thing about so many people melting this season is how much this team is like most of Stands teams. We played a weak OOC, just like Stands teams did every year (differencing being we won them all and didn?t have 3 WTF losses by SEC play). We are undisciplined, just like most of Stands teams. If we pull together and grow, we stand a shot at going .500 in SEC play, just like most Stands teams. If we do, we could be on the bubble, unless we have a run at the SEC tourney and get an auto bid, just like a number of Stands teams. If we make a nice SEC run but don?t get an auto bid, we will just miss the NCAAs due to that weak OOC, just like Stands teams. We have a lot of talent, but can?t get it together consistently, like most Stands teams. The biggest difference - Stands always had a guy who could shoot lights out.

We play like we have the last 2-3 game and the wins will come - putting us at roughly 21 wins. And where is that? Pretty much where Stands had us every year.
    I can't tell you how many times I've thought this when I bother to watch us play. Sorely disappointed with Howland so far. He's undoubtedly increased our talent level, but damn we look poorly coached. And we're not very good on D, which is supposed to be his hallmark. He'll get one more year, but this shit has to improve quickly.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I'd be shocked if this team makes any sort of postseason play. They're heartless and not good. SOS doesn't lie, and we played one of - it not the - worst schedules in the NCAA so far. That we're being exposed in SEC play is the least surprising part of this season. We hired the bootleg version of Stands. Postseason play this year or GTFO should be what Cohen tells Howland.
    Nope. We will make the NIT this season if Howland starts our best five which we have stated ad nauseum. He gets four years to make the NCAA tournament which we will dance next year...

vCash
    Nope. We will make the NIT this season if Howland starts our best five which we have stated ad nauseum. He gets four years to make the NCAA tournament which we will dance next year...
    I'd be happy if we make the NIT this year. But I put the chances at less than 50% based on what we've seen so far. We can't win away from the Hump and we can't win regularly against good teams at the Hump now that we're in SEC play. Not a good way to make the postseason. If we were lights out at home, I'd be more optimistic.

vCash
    All we have to do to make the NIT is win a few games. Our SOS is already up to 144 and our RPI will be around 60 after we play Kentucky. We have 5-6 attainable wins left on the schedule. Get it done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've thought this when I bother to watch us play. Sorely disappointed with Howland so far. He's undoubtedly increased our talent level, but damn we look poorly coached. And we're not very good on D, which is supposed to be his hallmark. He'll get one more year, but this shit has to improve quickly.
    Not very good on D???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    And most of the time with a 9-7 / 10-6 record
    There is a reason Stands was the ONLY coach that didn?t vote for the current SEC alignment ...
    To be fair, its been a long time since we had a winning SEC record. I'd be thrilled with a 10-8 SEC record.

vCash
    All we have to do to make the NIT is win a few games. Our SOS is already up to 144 and our RPI will be around 60 after we play Kentucky. We have 5-6 attainable wins left on the schedule. Get it done
    I will be thrilled if we can somehow get in the nit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    To be fair, its been a long time since we had a winning SEC record. I'd be thrilled with a 10-8 SEC record.
    If We get to 9 wins we prob make the tourney this year.
    people tend to forget we were 10-6 in the league the year we went to final four..
    shows how good the league was then and now..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    If We get to 9 wins we prob make the tourney this year.
    people tend to forget we were 10-6 in the league the year we went to final four..
    shows how good the league was then and now..
    We need 10 SEC wins to get in the tourney - our 144 SOS has pretty much caused that.

What will be interesting to see how the board reacts if Stans gets WKU in the tourney in year 2. Currently they have an RPI of 46. They probably need to win their tourney, but they have a top 25 SOS and will most likely be a bubble team down the stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    To also be fair- Stands never faced an 18 game SEC schedule against the whole SEC and not protected by playing 2 games each against a weak West. He was the only SEC coach to vote against that. We know why too