Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke Reynolds

vCash

Luke Reynolds

Saw an article in that shit newspaper on twitter talking about MS State transfer 3B Luke Reynolds for the mustard buzzards. Said the last time he played D1 baseball was May 2015.

I dont remember him, was he any good? Why he leave?

vCash
    .304/.439/.370

vCash
    After being a bright spot on the 2015 cluster17 team offensively he left on his own because he didn't improve his defense enough and struggled at the plate in the fall thus losing his job eventually to Gavin Collins. We decided not to DH him because we wanted to use Brent Rooker in that role if my memory serves me correctly.

vCash
    I thought he got cut on opening day.

vCash
    He will make some noise for USM. Best hitter on the team at the end of the 2015 team. I suspect he is still here if Can were the coach entering the 16 season

vCash
    He did not leave on his own. He was cut.

vCash
    Cut = not on 35 man roster but that doesn't mean you can't come back out the next year and try out again.

Banned
    vCash
    This one's a head scratcher to me. Don't understand giving up on a guy that had put up numbers likes that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    This one's a head scratcher to me. Don't understand giving up on a guy that had put up numbers likes that.
    Because as I said his defense was bad and he struggled at the plate in the fall. Had he improved his defense he wouldn't have been left off of the 35 man roster. The coaches were probably hoping that he would learn his lesson, improve as a player and then come back out again the next year. He decided to go to USM and that's fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Cut = not on 35 man roster but that doesn't mean you can't come back out the next year and try out again.
    He was cut. When the coach tells you that you are not on the roster this year, you are cut from that year?s team. Yes, he was told he could try out again in the future but was not guaranteed a spot on the roster in the future.

I don?t consider that situation to be leaving on one?s own.

vCash
    And to add he wouldn't have played a lot in 2016 with Collins at third, an outfield of Mangum, Robson, and Humphreys, and Rooker at DH.

vCash
    His defense was not worse than Collins?s. That?s the real question, would you have rather had Reynolds than Collins? Personally, I would have kept both to have reynolds?s LH bat situationally at least, but Cohen didn?t want to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    He was cut. When the coach tells you that you are not on the roster this year, you are cut from that year?s team. Yes, he was told he could try out again in the future but was not guaranteed a spot on the roster in the future.

I don?t consider that situation to be leaving on one?s own.
    Depends on how you look at it I suppose. Cut to me means you have no option to return. Having the option to return in the future with an improved performance in the summer and spring to me doesn't mean you are cut from the program.

My interpretation is close to how the media defines "cut" based on Elih Marrero's arrest in May or June of last year too.

vCash
    And to add he wouldn't have played a lot in 2016 with Collins at third, an outfield of Mangum, Robson, and Humphreys, and Rooker at DH.
    True, his value was as a lh option off the bench or to DH when hump was struggling, which was most of year (move rooker from DH to left and DH Reynolds).

vCash
    His defense was not worse than Collins?s. That?s the real question, would you have rather had Reynolds than Collins? Personally, I would have kept both to have reynolds?s LH bat situationally at least, but Cohen didn?t want to do that.
    I disagree with that about Collins. Collins was a much better option defensively and he hit over 10 home runs which Reynolds wouldn't have been able to do. Collins was drafted by MLB. I can't see that happening with Reynolds. And again- Reynolds struggled in the fall. That was taken into account by the staff as well.

vCash
    I disagree with that about Collins. Collins was a much better option defensively and he hit over 10 home runs which Reynolds wouldn't have been able to do. Collins was drafted by MLB. I can't see that happening with Reynolds. And again- Reynolds struggled in the fall. That was taken into account by the staff as well.
    Collins may have been marginally better at third. He was pretty bad over there.

I didn?t remember 10 bombs from him in 2016. That?s impressive. Guessing he hit .245 though. And Reynolds could fly out of the box. Was second fastest time to First behind Robson. Neither collins nor Reynolds are pro guys.

All considered, I don?t disagree collins was the better option at third. But see my post above as to why I would have kept both.

vCash
    Collins may have been marginally better at third. He was pretty bad over there.

I didn?t remember 10 bombs from him in 2016. That?s impressive. Guessing he hit .245 though. And Reynolds could fly out of the box. Was second fastest time to First behind Robson. Neither collins nor Reynolds are pro guys.

All considered, I don?t disagree collins was the better option at third. But see my post above as to why I would have kept both.
    10 home runs 39 RBI's and hit .302. Slugged over 500 too. I agree Collins wasn't great at third but still IMO better defensively than Reynolds. Plus Gavin essentially equalled his average with much more power. Gavin is playing third in the minors right now but I doubt he makes it to MLB.

vCash
    He’s a 1B/DH with little power.

vCash
    He hit 370 in the SEC on a miserablely bad and unlucky team...he was a good player, many circumstances came into play on his transfer

I bet he has a great all Conference year for USM is what ever Conference they play in. What Conference do they play in? It’s not worth a google.

vCash
    10 home runs 39 RBI's and hit .302. Slugged over 500 too. I agree Collins wasn't great at third but still IMO better defensively than Reynolds. Plus Gavin essentially equalled his average with much more power. Gavin is playing third in the minors right now but I doubt he makes it to MLB.
    I agree, Collins had a great year at 3B and had a steady bat that got better late. Made some errors but never in a big moment or big game.