Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any of you Howland critics listen to the Dawgtalk show?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I too believe Howland is a good coach but I can’t figure out why then we have church league basketball caliber ball movement and look clunkier than Matt Luke running a 40 when we play offense.
    This. Our half court offense isn’t much better than it was under Ray.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Moved the ball pretty good Monday night, Gun.
    Not really, not in half court sets. We did much better on pushing the ball up the floor quickly and getting good, quick shots. We were still very bad when forced into half court sets. You can’t get a good shot quickly every trip up the floor.

vCash
    I like Howland a lot and I am doing my best with him.

Shots fall, and then they don't. Sometimes you get calls and sometimes you don't. Sometimes the other team has a good game plan for you. This team is very young and is going to be inconsistent with those things. But my one beef is with undisciplined play. We give the ball away way too much with unforced turnovers, and we have what has to be the crappiest shot selection of any team in the conference. Now, it's not always the case...and the Vandy game is an example where the team took care of the ball better and made some shots. But the things that always travel, whether you're hitting shots or not: Defense, effort, and discipline. We play good defense. We give inconsistent effort and even less consistent discipline. Those things are easy fixes for a coach and that is my only frustration with Howland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    My issue with Howland (who I like very much) is his temperament during the game. I had the same issue with Don Muffin. I am a firm believer in a coach fighting for his team and fighting for a player to get the best outta themselves during the games. This means I want them getting on the players when they are doing stupid shit an I want them getting on the refs when they are getting hosed by calls. Like Saban does. The players don't like it but they like the end results. The refs don't like it but they are way less likely to **** you over when you make them officiate you fairly. Howland should have gotten thrown out vs Florida the officiating was so one-sided. Howland is just a very nice man all the time. That's a great quality for life but it isn't ideal for coaching during a game or practices imo. I grew up on Bobby Knight basketball though so it's just what I believe in.
    Yelling and screaming all the time doesn’t make a good coach. It gets you attention and gets you noticed and on camera but it doesn’t make you a good coach. There are good coaches that do it, and there are terrible coaches that do it. All in all yelling and screaming is more effective if you don’t do it much. What you absolutely DON’T want is a coach acting out of his character. Acting jobs don’t work. Players see through that every time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Yelling and screaming all the time doesn’t make a good coach. It gets you attention and gets you noticed and on camera but it doesn’t make you a good coach. There are good coaches that do it, and there are terrible coaches that do it. All in all yelling and screaming is more effective if you don’t do it much. What you absolutely DON’T want is a coach acting out of his character. Acting jobs don’t work. Players see through that every time.
    Worked pretty well for Hugh Freeze.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    Worked pretty well for Hugh Freeze.
    Freeze was acting totally in character.

vCash
    The only way this team is effective offensively is when we attack the rim. When we get lazy, and start jacking 3?s after 2-3 passes we are done. We are also a lazy passing team, and that doesn?t mesh well for a poor perimeter shooting team. I posted after the OM game that I had seen enough, because I hated the way we played the last 3 minutes. It was just poor IQ b-ball, and that drives me crazy. Anyway, hopefully this team matured as the season continues.
    Last edited by Thick; 01-18-2018 at 10:06 AM.

vCash
    Let's circle this conversation back to the original point...

I certainly don't disagree with many of the comments or criticisms of how the team has played at various times this season so far. The reality is that Howland doesn't either. If you listen to his pressers, post game discussions with Richard Williams, Dawgtalk or even his on court coaching, you would know that he is focused on the issues that face this team. He constantly points out the poor/lazy passing, poor or no off ball movement, poor shot selection, not working the ball inside, poor timing and lack of patience on ball rotation to break down zones and the consequences of each of them. He also points out and contrasts the results when we do those things effectively.

I get as pissed as anybody when we get lazy and decide to take a few plays off that lead to losses like Ole Miss and Auburn, but it is salt in a wound when I have to listen to crap like "has Howland ever seen a 1-3-1 zone" or "Howland is too old" or "Howland don't care" or "the game has passed him by" or "we suck" or "Stansbury woulda..." and all the other nonsense that frequents discussion(if you can call it that) of our basketball program. To me, it's like taking a dump on the floor of your own kitchen. I'm not na?ve about the reality that it is de rigueur in the cyber world to be an anonymous choreographer of crapola, but please pardon me when I point out that crap for what it is...

vCash
    Not really, not in half court sets. We did much better on pushing the ball up the floor quickly and getting good, quick shots. We were still very bad when forced into half court sets. You can’t get a good shot quickly every trip up the floor.
    disagree totally. We had Holman in the paint and got the ball inside to him in the halfcourt where he shined. He also made some good passes out of it as well. Holman knows where the ball needs to go when doubled in there or if he cant get a shot. He and Ado need to split time at the 5 from here moving forward.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    Let's circle this conversation back to the original point...

I certainly don't disagree with many of the comments or criticisms of how the team has played at various times this season so far. The reality is that Howland doesn't either. If you listen to his pressers, post game discussions with Richard Williams, Dawgtalk or even his on court coaching, you would know that he is focused on the issues that face this team. He constantly points out the poor/lazy passing, poor or no off ball movement, poor shot selection, not working the ball inside, poor timing and lack of patience on ball rotation to break down zones and the consequences of each of them. He also points out and contrasts the results when we do those things effectively.

I get as pissed as anybody when we get lazy and decide to take a few plays off that lead to losses like Ole Miss and Auburn, but it is salt in a wound when I have to listen to crap like "has Howland ever seen a 1-3-1 zone" or "Howland is too old" or "Howland don't care" or "the game has passed him by" or "we suck" or "Stansbury woulda..." and all the other nonsense that frequents discussion(if you can call it that) of our basketball program. To me, it's like taking a dump on the floor of your own kitchen. I'm not na?ve about the reality that it is de rigueur in the cyber world to be an anonymous choreographer of crapola, but please pardon me when I point out that crap for what it is...
    My issue is this. Teaching guys to throw crisp passes isn't hard. It is harder to teach them where to pass if they haven't been taught before and/or have a low natural basketball IQ.

But he has a deep roster and thus can use the bench to teach these things. We played a patsy non-conference schedule and i would have loved to have seem him sit guys for lazy passes and call that out in the presser when asked when guys sit. My problem is there has been zero improvement in this all year. We throw passes softer than any other team I see and our off the ball "cut" are way slower and our pick setting and use of picks is still awful.

My main problem isn't necessarily that we're bad at things. It's that most of these guys have been bad at these things for 2 years with absolutely no improvement. So while you may complain about it all day in a presser, doesn't seem like much time is spent on practicing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    disagree totally. We had Holman in the paint and got the ball inside to him in the halfcourt where he shined. He also made some good passes out of it as well. Holman knows where the ball needs to go when doubled in there or if he cant get a shot. He and Ado need to split time at the 5 from here moving forward.
    In true half court sets we were no better than we have been. That was against the worst team in the SEC. We did do much better pushing the ball up court and getting inside before the defense was really set. That’s what we have to do to be successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    He did and has been talking about all the issues that some here seem to think he is oblivious to. If someone doesn't want to spend the time to be informed, they really shouldn't be spouting crap that they don't know anything about. As DOA pointed out, it doesn't contribute anything to the program and makes the poster sound foolish.
    A lot of the discontent is done by design. I have tried to tell Bulldogs on here and other sites that OM has a “planned” attack to spread rumors and discontent because they see MSU has more potential than they have. That is a real threat and they take counter espionage very serious. This should be a Bulldog site only and get rid of the discontent. I don’t mean varying opinions should not be heard. I mean negative demeaning, disrupting posts should be dealt with.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    I'll give Howland credit, we've been solid against bad competition all year. Well, except we lost to a bad OM team.

vCash
    Is there a link for Dawgtalk?

vCash
    In true half court sets we were no better than we have been..
    thats just 100% wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'll give Howland credit, we've been solid against bad competition all year. Well, except we lost to a bad OM team.
    on the road- which happens in basketball all the time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    thats just 100% wrong
    We will have to agree to disagree. LOL. I’m not alone in my opinion. Again we were better, but it was Vandy.

vCash
    We will have to agree to disagree. LOL. I’m not alone in my opinion. Again we were better, but it was Vandy.
    You just said we weren't better- so which is it?

We shot 52% from 2 and got alot better shots in the paint. Most people that have watched a basketball game could see we were much better in the halfcourt O with Holman at the 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    You mean that "bad" OM team that handed Florida it's first SEC loss of the season and missed beating an aTm team by one shot(that hit the bottom of the rim and popped out) on the road. A team(aTm) that most pundits say will make a deep run in the tourney. The same bad OM team that hasn't lost a SEC game at home yet this year?

You are right that we should have won that game, but we didn't lose it because Howland didn't know they would play a 1-3-1 zone or that he doesn't know what a team has to do to score against that zone.
    Last edited by MCsMGs; 01-18-2018 at 12:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Is there a link for Dawgtalk?
    You can listen to the replays of Dawgtalk and most of his pressers from the hailstate site. It's under the "watch/listen/connect" section. You can also get links or live feeds from the twitter account @HailStateMBK