Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Sammon Article On Coaching Staff

vCash

Will Sammon Article On Coaching Staff

Good, informative stuff here. Worth your time.

https://twitter.com/willsammon/statu...01620084338691

vCash
    Thanks for posting that. I don't read the CL so I wouldn't have found this. Pretty informative.

vCash
    Love what Coach Moorhead said about special teams and about how he considered it one third of the game. We haven't always approached special teams that way in the recent past. Almost has been like an afterthought. Glad to see he's serious about that part of the game(all the other parts to of course).

vCash
    I think Buckley is a good coach and a great recruiter. We're lucky he didnt tell us to kiss his ass and go somewhere else. I was worried about Lukabu but his twitter has won me over. Kids will love him.

Im iffy about Shoop. I get the reasons why it went down at UT (Butch, injuries) and I know they had some good moments but still they were still bad. Im all for him but color me cautious.

vCash
    The more I find out about Moorhead the more impressed I am with him. He seems to have an open mind, he listens to what his subordinates has to say and takes their opinion into account, and appears to have a master plan in place for success. His approach is reminscent of some highly successful CEO's in the business world. So far he's been very impressive. I'm looking forward to how this translates to the field.

vCash
    was a good read

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I think Buckley is a good coach and a great recruiter. We're lucky he didnt tell us to kiss his ass and go somewhere else. I was worried about Lukabu but his twitter has won me over. Kids will love him.

Im iffy about Shoop. I get the reasons why it went down at UT (Butch, injuries) and I know they had some good moments but still they were still bad. Im all for him but color me cautious.
    Manny Diaz had a really bad time at Texas but now is successful again. Shoop just doesn't have the stop at La Tech. Hopefully, UT was just a bump in the road.

vCash
    I really like our new staff a lot. The last staff it just felt like they were a bunch of yes men and it was like Dan would come up with these crazy ideas and some would work and some would be Holloway up the middle to try to prove to everyone how much he knew.

I think we majorly upgraded on offense and special teams and kept defense approximately the same which is a good thing.

Joe- Upgrade over Dan. More focus on recruiting already. He could be the football genius that Dan wishes he was.
    Friedman- Upgrade over Elliott. Sounds like a bright up and comer.
    Huff- Upgrade over Knox. Relentless recruiter and has a ton of energy.
    Getsy- HUGE Upgrade over Gonzalez. NFL guy that sounds like a WR guru.
    Hud- Upgrade over Looney. He is going to be Joe's Tony Hughes. Here to help us clean up in state.
    Johnson- HUGE Upgrade over Hevesy. Not an asshole who sounds like he can coach just as well as Hevesy and can recruit.
    Baker- Same. His unit was one of the strongest we had last year with depth.
    Lubuku- Upgrade over English. Sounds like a good recruiter who like Getsy has shot up through the ranks.
    Shoop- Same as Grantham. Remember Grantham had some concerns coming in for us last year too. With our talent plus what he did at Vanderbilt and Penn State encourages me.
    Buckley- Same. Great recruiter. Unit has struggled some at times but also has some promising talent.
    Boniol- Same. This was a huge keep for us. He will continue to help us recruit and develop elite kickers.
    Fountain- Upgrades special teams along with Boniol. He is an outstanding recruiter and special teams guru which will allow Boniol to focus on kickers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post

With the personnel on our defense for next season, you would have to try to screw it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Johnson- HUGE Upgrade over Hevesy. Not an asshole who sounds like he can coach just as well as Hevesy and can recruit
    I agree with everything but possibly this one. If Johnson proves to be a great recruiter, he may wind up as an upgrade... but Hevesy was a hell of a OL coach! If Johnson can?t mold 2* lineman, he better recruit!

vCash
    I've heard Butch was a micromanaging pansy. He couldn't let his coaches coach. I'm not worried about Shoop. We lived through Sirmon. I highly doubt Shoop will be as bad as Sirmon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I agree with everything but possibly this one. If Johnson proves to be a great recruiter, he may wind up as an upgrade... but Hevesy was a hell of a OL coach! If Johnson can?t mold 2* lineman, he better recruit!
    Agree with this. Hevesy took a beating from fans but when his OL was predicted to fail this year, it didn?t and what?s more it rolled on with an injury to an NFL lineman. His demeanor rubbed folks the wrong way and his relationship with Mullen was a sore spot for many, but we wound up producing there more than he got credit for.

His recruiting was associated with his perceived personality and that wasn?t accurate either. I never was sold on his role in the offense, but I wasn?t privy exactly to what that was. I do not think we will suffer on the OL as this is a different system and Joe will know best what works within it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Agree with this. Hevesy took a beating from fans but when his OL was predicted to fail this year, it didn?t and what?s more it rolled on with an injury to an NFL lineman. His demeanor rubbed folks the wrong way and his relationship with Mullen was a sore spot for many, but we wound up producing there more than he got credit for.

His recruiting was associated with his perceived personality and that wasn?t accurate either. I never was sold on his role in the offense, but I wasn?t privy exactly to what that was. I do not think we will suffer on the OL as this is a different system and Joe will know best what works within it.
    Here's the deal- he was a good coach BUT if all you can reel in are 3 star guys or even worse to me- 1-3 offensive linemen a class you will NEVER reach your full potential no matter how good of a coach you are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I really like our new staff a lot. The last staff it just felt like they were a bunch of yes men and it was like Dan would come up with these crazy ideas and some would work and some would be Holloway up the middle to try to prove to everyone how much he knew.

I think we majorly upgraded on offense and special teams and kept defense approximately the same which is a good thing.

Joe- Upgrade over Dan. More focus on recruiting already. He could be the football genius that Dan wishes he was.
    Friedman- Upgrade over Elliott. Sounds like a bright up and comer.
    Huff- Upgrade over Knox. Relentless recruiter and has a ton of energy.
    Getsy- HUGE Upgrade over Gonzalez. NFL guy that sounds like a WR guru.
    Hud- Upgrade over Looney. He is going to be Joe's Tony Hughes. Here to help us clean up in state.
    Johnson- HUGE Upgrade over Hevesy. Not an asshole who sounds like he can coach just as well as Hevesy and can recruit.
    Baker- Same. His unit was one of the strongest we had last year with depth.
    Lubuku- Upgrade over English. Sounds like a good recruiter who like Getsy has shot up through the ranks.
    Shoop- Same as Grantham. Remember Grantham had some concerns coming in for us last year too. With our talent plus what he did at Vanderbilt and Penn State encourages me.
    Buckley- Same. Great recruiter. Unit has struggled some at times but also has some promising talent.
    Boniol- Same. This was a huge keep for us. He will continue to help us recruit and develop elite kickers.
    Fountain- Upgrades special teams along with Boniol. He is an outstanding recruiter and special teams guru which will allow Boniol to focus on kickers.
    Good post Todd. While I?ve read from a PSU fan we will be frustrated at times with how quickly Joe?s offense gets rolling in a game, I believe from reading and listening to his you tube videos that he is far more clear as to how to implement it than Dan was

vCash
    Good stuff. Thanks for posting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I've heard Butch was a micromanaging pansy. He couldn't let his coaches coach. I'm not worried about Shoop. We lived through Sirmon. I highly doubt Shoop will be as bad as Sirmon.
    Sirmon isn't the bench mark. Grantham is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Good post Todd. While I?ve read from a PSU fan we will be frustrated at times with how quickly Joe?s offense gets rolling in a game, I believe from reading and listening to his you tube videos that he is far more clear as to how to implement it than Dan was
    Yeah he doesn?t always start fast in games because he?s probing for weaknesses but once he sees what the defense is doing he hammers them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Sirmon isn't the bench mark. Grantham is.
    No shit.

If Shoop is as good as Manny in 2010 I'll be happy.

vCash
    2015 top assistant coaches on the rise... Brian Shoop.
    This isn’t just some random guy.
    Check out that list.

This is a very good DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    No shit.

If Shoop is as good as Manny in 2010 I'll be happy.
    Well, you just said you highly doubt Shoop will be as bad as Sirmon. I mean, that is basically not saying anything at all.