Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Braves fans and MSSTATE 7

vCash

OK Braves fans and MSSTATE 7

Since the Pirates just shipped A Mccutchen to the Giants what would you have done to get him to the ATL?
    Me, I would've traded Markasis, Swanson and one of our crappy closers for him. Having Acuna, Incarte and Mccutchen would have given us one of the best outfields in the ML.

vCash
    Cutch is in last year of his deal, right? I am still high on Swanson even after last season, so I would not do that trade

vCash
    It would have taken more than that. We would have had to give up at least one of our starters. Maybe more than one.

If he’s in the last year of his deal we can still get him next year and give up nothing because we will have the money to sign him straight up.

vCash
    So, Pitt (or any team for that matter) would be willing to take a 34 year old OF with no pop or base stealing speed, an infielder who may be a ?, and a bunch of dead arms for a perennial All-Star? That's a sure fire way for a GM to build a positive reputation.

I have no doubt Swanson will get better with time, he is just 24. Like a lot of Metro ATL Braves prospects, way too much was expected from him (see Heyward, Jason) too soon and the Braves rushed him hoping all of Marietta would come see him and offset the rest of their crap roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    It would have taken more than that. We would have had to give up at least one of our starters. Maybe more than one.

If he’s in the last year of his deal we can still get him next year and give up nothing because we will have the money to sign him straight up.
    Since we are whiffing on Folty might as well throw him in there also.

vCash
    Huge mccutchen fan but he's on his way down. I'd take him but wouldn't break the bank, or anything close, to get him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

I have no doubt Swanson will get better with time, he is just 24. Like a lot of Metro ATL Braves prospects, way too much was expected from him (see Heyward, Jason) too soon and the Braves rushed him hoping all of Marietta would come see him and offset the rest of their crap roster.
    Ummm...lots of wrong here.

Swanson may have been rushed up but that is far from the braves M O. heyward was didn't start to go down for 2 years. Then the league adjusted and he didn't. He still can't hit consistently. I remember Bobby valentine commenting on his swing mechanics and how they would prevent him from being consistent without some adjustments. This woulda been about his 2nd or 3rd year up.

Frenchy was another guy that tore it up for a few years and then refused to adjust. He'd always been a studd that had done it his way and he never could wrap his mind around having to make a change.

Neither of these guys were "rushed" to the majors.

vCash
    I wouldn't have done any trade for him. I'm not giving up assets for a guy on the downward swing.

Now if Miami does decide to trade someone like yelich that's a different story. Or some other team will want to move a guy entering prime payday season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Ummm...lots of wrong here.

Swanson may have been rushed up but that is far from the braves M O. heyward was didn't start to go down for 2 years. Then the league adjusted and he didn't. He still can't hit consistently. I remember Bobby valentine commenting on his swing mechanics and how they would prevent him from being consistent without some adjustments. This woulda been about his 2nd or 3rd year up.

Frenchy was another guy that tore it up for a few years and then refused to adjust. He'd always been a studd that had done it his way and he never could wrap his mind around having to make a change.

Neither of these guys were "rushed" to the majors.
    It's a perception impact and the pressure of being very young and having to impress your hometown. So far, none of the young local Braves have been able to handle it. Heyward was 20 when he came up and Frenchy was 21. Both of them could have benefited from more time in the minors to strengthen their ability to adjust. All 3 of them had excellent ability but had never played at a level of baseball anywhere and failed. Then they get to fail every night in front of family and friends. Heyward did start to decline in his 2nd season - dropping his AVG by .50. He actually did adjust in year 3, getting back to .269 and his career high 27 HR - but then got injured in year 4 and was never the same. Frenchy was his best in his 2nd full season, and then got figured out and never adjusted. Both guys were considered "busts" by Braves fans by the time they were 25.

To me, all that pressure on a 20-21 year old kid in his hometown is too much.

Banned
    vCash
    I wanna know why the Braves are paying $22.357 mill for Adrian Gonzalez to play for the mets? Loving the Giants acquisitions of Longoria and Cutch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I'm not sure you saw what the Pirates actually got. Swanson alone is better than the package they got. Easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I wanna know why the Braves are paying $22.357 mill for Adrian Gonzalez to play for the mets? Loving the Giants acquisitions of Longoria and Cutch.
    Bc we love the Mets.

Baseball player association smarter than football... they get their money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Since the Pirates just shipped A Mccutchen to the Giants what would you have done to get him to the ATL?
    Me, I would've traded Markasis, Swanson and one of our crappy closers for him. Having Acuna, Incarte and Mccutchen would have given us one of the best outfields in the ML.
    Pass.

Just accept 2018 will be a really long spring training for 2019. We already took a trade to shift 2019 money to 2018. That's a clear sign they are playing for 2019. Mainly they want to see which pitchers progress, and see if Riley and Jackson continue to progress and perform which will earn them a slot in 2019. They will react at midseason and next offseason off of those returns.

Folty, Gohera, Allard, Siroka, Freid at SP next year. With Wright and Weigal ready by midseason, along with others. I dont think Newcomb or Sims stick, but they'll get a shot. Newcomb, Teheran, and McCarthy all traded by the deadline.

Btw, the last thing the Braves need is a CF. They have 3 for 2022 as is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Bc we love the Mets.

Baseball player association smarter than football... they get their money
    Football also doesn't usually have that much guaranteed contract. A lot of those football deals they announce end up being a lot less with a greater chance at getting hurt and cut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    They are not paying that much. Little less than $17MIL. It was also part of the condition that Atl would waive him if he agreed to the trade so he would be able to sign with whom ever. ATL was looking to clear money for 2019 and got a couple of potential lower cost veteran starters for this year. I think Braves will have something like $60-70 Mil to spend next year now that they got rid of Kemp’s 2 years remaining. McCarthy, Kazmir and Markakius all roll off the payroll at the end of the year and wouldn’t be surprised if some of that is not gone by trade deadline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    They are not paying that much. Little less than $17MIL. It was also part of the condition that Atl would waive him if he agreed to the trade so he would be able to sign with whom ever. ATL was looking to clear money for 2019 and got a couple of potential lower cost veteran starters for this year. I think Braves will have something like $60-70 Mil to spend next year now that they got rid of Kemp’s 2 years remaining. McCarthy, Kazmir and Markakius all roll off the payroll at the end of the year and wouldn’t be surprised if some of that is not gone by trade deadline.
    I saw where they let Adonis Garcia go overseas so that frees up another spot. Who will be starting at 3rd next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I saw where they let Adonis Garcia go overseas so that frees up another spot. Who will be starting at 3rd next year?
    I bet on Camargo

vCash
    I’m afraid Dansby Swanson may be Francour 2.0. Loved by everyone in the organization, but just not consistent enough at the plate to justify a long-term deal.

vCash
    Carmargo could play at 3rd or SS. I know this is blasphemy but he is alot better than Swanson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Carmargo could play at 3rd or SS. I know this is blasphemy but he is alot better than Swanson.
    I do not agree. Swanson is much better at SS defensively. Camargo certainly swung the bat better last season, but BABIP says he was pretty lucky. Hopefully both have great years with Swanson at ss and Camargo at 3b... that is our strongest defensive left side