Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many More Titles Can Bama Win Before The NCAA Makes Rule Changes?

vCash

How Many More Titles Can Bama Win Before The NCAA Makes Rule Changes?

Ok, I realize that many here will say that the rules won't change, but there has to be a line right?

Bama has won 5 of the last 9 National Titles & was in another championship game.

Bama has only played in 3 games over the past decade in which they were out of contention for the national championship.

We saw scholarship reductions to 95 in 1978 to 85 in 1992. Bear Bryant won titles in 73, 78, & 79.

Question is: how many more years can the Bama dynasty last before rule changes are made?

Are we close or are we still aways away?

Is the next move a scholarship limit reduction or a dramatic change in how schools acquire players?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Ok, I realize that many here will say that the rules won't change, but there has to be a line right?

Bama has won 5 of the last 9 National Titles & was in another championship game.

Bama has only played in 3 games over the past decade in which they were out of contention for the national championship.

We saw scholarship reductions to 95 in 1978 to 85 in 1992. Bear Bryant won titles in 73, 78, & 79.

Question is: how many more years can the Bama dynasty last before rule changes are made?

Are we close or are we still aways away?

Is the next move a scholarship limit reduction or a dramatic change in how schools acquire players?
    Miami won 4 titles in 9 years. The biggest difference is now college football coaches aren't getting poached by the NFL. Saban would have had his salary doubled by the Cleveland Browns in previous eras. Bama will be good and still possibly great if they get Dabo to come "home" but there will be a drop off after Saban retires.

I think the 25 signing class being a hard line and now with the early signing period, those are direct shots to Bama and other big schools. They can't just poach guys at the last second if they miss on someone with the early signing period. They also can't sign guys to keep them away from other schools only to offer a grey shirt in May. The only other thing I see that Bama has over other schools would be to put a limit on non coaching staff. Bama has more "analysts" or other off the field coaching positions than some teams have entire staffs. It is a loophole that probably needs to be closed. It gives them the opportunity to prepare more than other schools who would be "under staffed" in these positions.

vCash
    Tbone took the words out of my mouth. Saban was pissed about these changes too because he knows it will impact their ability to string along kids.
    Limiting off field staff will be the next step because it does create a competitive advantage for the big money schools.

The biggest thing that will stop Bama is Saban retiring. What we need to hope for is Bama following their history, and spending a few years hiring coaches from the "Saban tree" and infighting about what Saban would do instead of hiring the best coach in the country.

vCash
    Dabo is building Clemson into a program that’s going to be hard to leave when Saban retires. Being the guy following Saban won’t exactly be a good position either. The expectations will be ridiculous
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Lets see where Bama finishes in recruiting rankings - if it isn't number 1, there will be a crack in the dam. UGA, LSU, OSU, AU and Clemson are all telling kids that Saban won't be there by the time you graduate. THey are selling this hard.

Obviously Saban is still doing ridiculous things on the recruiting trail and the red elephant club is not going to stop doing what they do to keep the titles coming. Right now they are ranked 5th in the 247 rankings. That may seem like a small drop, but for Bama its a big freaking drop down. Of course who knows how they close.

vCash
    I heard Bama has an analyst for each team on the schedule. The analysts job is to follow the team they are assigned and know everything about them. That is excessive and has to stop.

Thinking outside the box, Wolken had an article proposing to make CFB like the NFL. Pay players. Have salary caps. Have drafts. That would level the playing field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    I heard Bama has an analyst for each team on the schedule. The analysts job is to follow the team they are assigned and know everything about them. That is excessive and has to stop.

Thinking outside the box, Wolken had an article proposing to make CFB like the NFL. Pay players. Have salary caps. Have drafts. That would level the playing field.
    I'd be totally against some sort of draft oriented CFB. All that will be is a minor league for the NFL. Part of what makes CFB - and all college sports - is that the players choose and are there as part of their life experience. Drafting kids will kill the sport completely. Now, should the kids get some more stipend money so they can fill their fridge and go on a date? Yes - because their job is essentially year round and they have no opportunity to build up any bank.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Dabo is building Clemson into a program that’s going to be hard to leave when Saban retires. Being the guy following Saban won’t exactly be a good position either. The expectations will be ridiculous
    He’d be an idiot to leave. I may be mistaken, but I think he’s spent more time at Clemson at this point than he has at Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I'd be totally against some sort of draft oriented CFB. All that will be is a minor league for the NFL. Part of what makes CFB - and all college sports - is that the players choose and are there as part of their life experience. Drafting kids will kill the sport completely. Now, should the kids get some more stipend money so they can fill their fridge and go on a date? Yes - because their job is essentially year round and they have no opportunity to build up any bank.
    You can’t draft people when there’s educational issues at stake. An engineer gets drafted to an art school? Pre-med drafted to an engineering school? Can’t do it. It’ll never happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    You can’t draft people when there’s educational issues at stake. An engineer gets drafted to an art school? Pre-med drafted to an engineering school? Can’t do it. It’ll never happen.
    Extremely valid point. If I'm a student athlete (student first, athlete second) with a desire to be an architect, why would I want to go to Ole Miss?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think what’s killing the sport is the lack of parity. Alabama winning the title every year turns off more people than professionalizing the sport. I don’t sit around and feel more proud of my team because they choose to play at MSU for peanuts than I would a better team that has a shot at the title but makes a few bucks.

vCash
    College football needs to adopt an NFL scheduling model, because what we have now is ridiculous. The gap between P5 and G5 continues to grow, especially as coordinator salaries go over $1 million and are reaching $2 million, G5 schools will be unable to hire them as HC. They need to be two separate divisions. P5 schools should play 8 conference games and 1 game from every other P5 league. 6 home games, 6 away games. The current model with G5 and FCS games completely wastes 1/4 of the entire season's schedule....no one really cares anymore, and that is shown in the attendance of those games.

But salary caps and drafting players is stupid. If the P5 broke off into it's own division they could establish a threshold to pay players, then enable them to offer three levels of salaries above their academic scholarships. Level 1: $30K per year (5) Level 2: $20K per year (10) Level 3: $10K per year. Those difference salary levels would even the playing field as four and five star athletes would spread themselves out to ensure getting a Level 1 salary.

Then maybe as an incentive to stay 4 years, there's a carrot of $100K bonus if you graduate. Maybe that would stop some of the poor decisions to declare for the NFL draft too early.

vCash
    My interest is only in pulling for MSU and following us during the regular season and our (now regular ) bowl game. I have totally lost interest in the "playoffs" due to the domination of bama virtually every year. Just watched bits and pieces of it and the other 500 bowl games and I'm a lifelong college football fan.

vCash
    Since Integration of blacks into southern college football- there has not really been any parity in college football.

1971- Nebraska
    1972- USC
    1973- Bama/Notre Dame
    1974- Oklahoma/USC
    1975- Oklahoma
    1976- Pittsburgh
    1977- Notre Dame
    1978- Bama/Notre Dame
    1979- Bama
    1980- Georgia
    1981- Clemson
    1982- Penn State
    1983- Miami
    1984- BYU
    1985- Oklahoma
    1986- Penn State
    1987- Miami
    1988- Notre Dame
    1989- Miami
    1990- Colorado/Ga Tech
    1991- Miami/Washington
    1992- Bama
    1993- Fla State
    1994- Nebraska
    1995- Nebraska
    1996- Florida
    1997- Nebraska
    1998- Tennessee
    1999- Fla State
    2000- Oklahoma
    2001- Miami
    2002- Ohio State
    2003- LSU
    2004- USC
    2005- Texas
    2006- Florida
    2007- LSU
    2008- Florida
    2009- Bama
    2010- Auburn
    2011- Bama
    2012- Bama
    2013- Fla State
    2014- Ohio State
    2015- Bama
    2016- Clemson
    2017- Bama

Not alot of diversity in that group
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I agree, that will never happen. If it did lawyers will be racing to courthouses all over the country to try to be the one to file the first class action suite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    College football needs to adopt an NFL scheduling model, because what we have now is ridiculous. The gap between P5 and G5 continues to grow, especially as coordinator salaries go over $1 million and are reaching $2 million, G5 schools will be unable to hire them as HC. They need to be two separate divisions. P5 schools should play 8 conference games and 1 game from every other P5 league. 6 home games, 6 away games. The current model with G5 and FCS games completely wastes 1/4 of the entire season's schedule....no one really cares anymore, and that is shown in the attendance of those games.
    I think this is a good idea. The problem is going to be all the Power 5 schools right now that benefit from the cupcake games (MSU included). Some people are going to be scared about what it will mean if they start being consistent losers because they no longer have 3 or 4 cupcake games. I think based on the NFL, it won't hurt with current fans. But I'm not sure what it does going forward. Do students buy in as much if school is consistently winning 4 or less games per year? Do better G5 teams actually benefit more from football as far as enrollment because students like winners? Or do the G5 teams turn into an upper tier Div II because there is no interest in them when they don't play Power 5 schools (I'm guessing the latter)

i just don't think anybody is going to be eager to change the status quo because the status quo is making a lot of coaches and administrators rich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think based on the NFL, it won't hurt with current fans.
    One problem I see with comparing it to the NFL is that the talent disparity between the best and the worst P5 teams is far greater than that of the best and worst NFL teams.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post

But salary caps and drafting players is stupid. If the P5 broke off into it's own division they could establish a threshold to pay players, then enable them to offer three levels of salaries above their academic scholarships. Level 1: $30K per year (5) Level 2: $20K per year (10) Level 3: $10K per year. Those difference salary levels would even the playing field as four and five star athletes would spread themselves out to ensure getting a Level 1 salary.

Then maybe as an incentive to stay 4 years, there's a carrot of $100K bonus if you graduate. Maybe that would stop some of the poor decisions to declare for the NFL draft too early.
    The problem with this is that those G5 & FCS schools pretty much run their athletic dept off of these check games. You stop those a lot of schools won't be able to pay the bills.

vCash
    Personally, I'd prefer the Relegation model with tiered conferences that SB Nation has been advocating - https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ion-simulation

Can you imagine a 1 game playoff between OM and Vandy to see who gets dropped to the Sun Belt??? I'd pay to watch it.

Banned
    vCash
    If you want a wider variety of Nat Champs go to a super regional style national title tournament. 16 teams.