Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stay patient with Howland...

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I am watching Miami vs Duke right now and Dewan Huell is killing it for the Canes. Y'all remember him? It was down to us or Miami for him. He's averaging 14 and 6 and looks like the best player on the court right now. Point is we are a lot closer to being a great team than most of y'all are realizing. Howland has come 2nd to a couple players that would immediately change our team. Davis at Indians, Huell at Miami, Brooks at UNC plus we really should have Newman and Kegler. The three we got coming in next year are good and if Howland can add 1-2 more and cut the fat a little we should be a top 8 SEC team next year. That puts us in the dance most likely as long as he doesn't schedule another shit OOC again. Stay patient. Auburn sucked last year in Pearl's year 3.
    Down to us and Miami.....HA!!! Now that's funny. He was never gonna come here. We got on him VERY late. He was ALL Miami ALL the time. They were on him forever.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Down to us and Miami.....HA!!! Now that's funny. He was never gonna come here. We got on him VERY late. He was ALL Miami ALL the time. They were on him forever.
    His handler was all Miami all the time. Huell wanted to visit but his handler put a stop to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    His handler was all Miami all the time. Huell wanted to visit but his handler put a stop to it.
    True but lets don't act like it was a close battle with us and Miami. We got on him way too late. And BTW I know for a fact that it was not just his handler. Dewan loves Miami.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    You guys act like basketball is football. It shouldn't take 4 years to win some games. Bring in a couple stud players in basketball and you can make the tourney if you can coach.
    This gets thrown around a lot and it's greatly exaggerated and misunderstood. If by "stud players" you mean top 15, sure thing one-and-done guys, then yes, you can and should expect a quick turnaround with good coaching. But what happens is that people assume top 100 in basketball is the same as top 100 in football, see a program like us land a few top 50-100 guys, and assume we should immediately start winning big, when in reality we have a young team of high 3/low 4 star guys in football terms. We have never recruited at that instant win level, not even under Stansbury. Howland really hasn't ever either; for all the players he's put in the NBA, only a select few were one-and-dones. He's never had a Calipari-esque team where he's starting 2-3 freshmen who will be in the NBA the next year. If anything, the fact that he's gotten so many guys to the NBA after two or more years should give us confidence going forward; shows that he's a good developer in addition to a good recruiter.

vCash
    Coming in to this year we knew that we had an outside shot to make the tourney if we were ready come conference play. Obviously we weren?t. We?re not a tourney team, which is what most expected. Next year, it?s tourney or bust. They will be talented enough and experienced enough. This is the last year that excuses will work for our men?s b-ball program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    This gets thrown around a lot and it's greatly exaggerated and misunderstood. If by "stud players" you mean top 15, sure thing one-and-done guys, then yes, you can and should expect a quick turnaround with good coaching. But what happens is that people assume top 100 in basketball is the same as top 100 in football, see a program like us land a few top 50-100 guys, and assume we should immediately start winning big, when in reality we have a young team of high 3/low 4 star guys in football terms. We have never recruited at that instant win level, not even under Stansbury. Howland really hasn't ever either; for all the players he's put in the NBA, only a select few were one-and-dones. He's never had a Calipari-esque team where he's starting 2-3 freshmen who will be in the NBA the next year. If anything, the fact that he's gotten so many guys to the NBA after two or more years should give us confidence going forward; shows that he's a good developer in addition to a good recruiter.
    A voice of reason rises from the molten fan base....

vCash
    we need 3 things.
    1. learn how to run a zone--just as a change of pace to stop a run. also to protect Ado from foul trouble.
    2. run a set play to get Holman an open 3.
    3-Peters needs to wake the 17 up.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    cool

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    we need 3 things.
    1. learn how to run a zone--just as a change of pace to stop a run. also to protect Ado from foul trouble.
    I think Peters has a case of what Sword and others had when prodigy Newman came in. N.Weatherspoon is further along, Peters knows it and don't like it. It is an ego, mental thing.
    No Signature

vCash
    we need 3 things.
    I went to Hailstate and looked at the individual stats for the men. Holman is a very high % on FG% (.612) and 3's (.512) but only getting 21.7 minutes a game. Do we have too many players in our regular rotation? I'd like to see him getting more minutes. Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I went to Hailstate and looked at the individual stats for the men. Holman is a very high % on FG% (.612) and 3's (.512) but only getting 21.7 minutes a game. Do we have too many players in our regular rotation? I'd like to see him getting more minutes. Thoughts?
    I think it has to do with that accounting principle of diminishing returns. More minutes doesn't always give a linear return in productivity. In other words, fresh legs outperform tired ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    I think it has to do with that accounting principle of diminishing returns. More minutes doesn't always give a linear return in productivity. In other words, fresh legs outperform tired ones.
    This is especially true when we play man defense and run a motion offense. That requires our guys to expend a lot of energy on both ends of the court.

vCash
    we need 3 things.
    Ahh.. + need some kind of plan to attack a zone. We seem clueless against ANY zone D.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    what we need is when he is in the game --run our offense threw Him. He can shoot. Set Him up and let Him shoot till they stop Him. Hard fricking hard is that.

vCash
    Howland has now landed a McDonald’s All American in Reggie Perry. He is what we need. A rebounding scoring 4. It’s what this years team doesn’t have. Patience is hard but Howland is the one we need to give it to. I was at the Auburn game and i am frustrated as the next fan. But we have to give him time. Crap. Hopefully our guys remember how to shoot and Ado improves with the 3 we have coming in next season. If next season isn’t a damn good year for us then we can start to lose patience. Maybe we get our shit together this year. 13-4 we have time to get right but we have to get it turned around tonight.

vCash
    Glad we have the three signees that we have coming in next year. If any of the three get big time minutes, some present players will transfer out just like the last couple of years or maybe even be "processed", and we and other programs (not talking about one and done KY) will stay eternally young better than Peter Pan. All kids D1 kids today think they are NBA ready and in love with the three and the day of role players is just about gone. Check out the transfer stats from one school to another today. The college game has changed and not for the better. BTW, Ky's one and done every year is a joke. Sure these "student athletes" are all in pre-med or engineering for that one year and plan to return to Ky to finish their college education after their NBA ,European, or wherever professional career.

vCash
    Glad we have the three signees that we have coming in next year. If any of the three get big time minutes, some present players will transfer out just like the last couple of years or maybe even be "processed", and we and other programs (not talking about one and done KY) will stay eternally young better than Peter Pan. All kids D1 kids today think they are NBA ready and in love with the three and the day of role players is just about gone. Check out the transfer stats from one school to another today. The college game has changed and not for the better. BTW, Ky's one and done every year is a joke. Sure these "student athletes" are all in pre-med or engineering for that one year and plan to return to Ky to finish their college education after their NBA ,European, or wherever professional career.
    College basketball is just hard to watch now. Not only does the AAU crap screw up the kids but the way they call fouls is killing what is left of my love of basketball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    College basketball is just hard to watch now. Not only does the AAU crap screw up the kids but the way they call fouls is killing what is left of my love of basketball.
    I agree 100%. The only college games that I watch anymore are State games (which has been brutal the last few years) and every once in a while, UNM, pulling for my 2nd favorite team which is whoever UNM plays in any sport. I would probably watch State play against another school in chess if I knew the rules. I no longer watch the "game" of basketball called the NBA and I am headed that way in college ball,