Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personnel in JoMo offense

vCash

Personnel in JoMo offense

I have been trying to digest the upcoming offensive transition. There is lot of film study and analysis out there. For those coaches or amateur coaches out there, how does our returning personnel fit in JoMo offense?

Do our OL fit his scheme? I know Mullen often asked the OL to divert or usher defenders rather than blocking them straight up. How do the blocking schemes compare?

JoMo really features a H-back. Who plays the Gesecki role for us? Farrod Green? Malik Dear? A combo?

How does Malik?s Dear feature if Farrod Green plays a traditional H-back?

How does this translate for A-train and Kylin Hill? My thought is they are set up for a big year, will probably get a similar amount of carries but will be catching the ball much more than previously.

Fitz will need to work on his mechanics and touch to excel in this offense. Will still be a runner but much less of a feature runner. Maybe half the carries.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Fitz only had 18 more carries this season than McSorley
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Fitz only had 18 more carries this season than McSorley
    Yeah people think Mcsorley just was a passer but he ran a ton. Coach from the games I?ve watched from Penn State and Fordham offenses the blocking schemes look very similar to what we ran under Mullin. Looks like a lot of zone schemes. Correct me if I?m wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah people think Mcsorley just was a passer but he ran a ton. Coach from the games I?ve watched from Penn State and Fordham offenses the blocking schemes look very similar to what we ran under Mullin. Looks like a lot of zone schemes. Correct me if I?m wrong.
    The blocking wont change much at all- if any. The differences will be with personnel packages and pass routes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The blocking wont change much at all- if any. The differences will be with personnel packages and pass routes
    Thanks for confirming. Looks like Joe runs a lot more vertical routes than we are used to seeing. Uses a lot of h-back too. I?m truly excited about his offensive schemes and the way he calls it. He attack?s defenses and is extremely aggressive. We won?t lose games because of playing scared.

vCash
    You are right. Fit ran 159 times in 12 games (basically 11 given the Egg Bowl). McSorley ran 144 in 13.

Last year, Fitz ran 195 in 13 and McSorley ran 144.

So, it may be more like 25% less vs the original 50% prediction.

Fitz was much more productive than McSorley rushing, averaging 7.1 in 2016 and 6.1 in 2017. McSorley averaged 2.5 and 3.4.

The threat of Fit rushing may open up a defense more than McSorley. Wonder how JoMo uses that.

vCash
    Thanks for confirming. Looks like Joe runs a lot more vertical routes than we are used to seeing. Uses a lot of h-back too. I?m truly excited about his offensive schemes and the way he calls it. He attack?s defenses and is extremely aggressive. We won?t lose games because of playing scared.
    He seems to really tailor his offense to take what is given or attack a specific weakness. I like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    You are right. Fit ran 159 times in 12 games (basically 11 given the Egg Bowl). McSorley ran 144 in 13.

Last year, Fitz ran 195 in 13 and McSorley ran 144.

So, it may be more like 25% less vs the original 50% prediction.

Fitz was much more productive than McSorley rushing, averaging 7.1 in 2016 and 6.1 in 2017. McSorley averaged 2.5 and 3.4.

The threat of Fit rushing may open up a defense more than McSorley. Wonder how JoMo uses that.
    Yeah Fitz much better runner than mcsorley and I think Fitz is gonna be heck in Joes offense.

vCash
    He seems to really tailor his offense to take what is given or attack a specific weakness. I like that.
    You?re right. Specific game plans based on opponents weakness is the best way to run an offense. We haven?t had a whole lot of variety or wrinkles last few years. I?m excited about the opportunity we have with Joe!

vCash
    Yeah Fitz much better runner than mcsorley and I think Fitz is gonna be heck in Joes offense.
    Fitz is certainly the better run, by far. Mcsorley is a much better passer though... Mcsorley passer rating 155 and fitz at 115. Fitz has to step it up passing. I think he will

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Fitz is certainly the better run, by far. Mcsorley is a much better passer though... Mcsorley passer rating 155 and fitz at 115. Fitz has to step it up passing. I think he will
    Agreed. The receivers we have coming in and coach Getsy working with those akready on the roster, i think helps our passing game step up.

vCash
    I’ve seen and heard of a lot of 50/50 balls in PSUs offense. Is this by scheme or personnel or both?

Banned
    vCash
    Moorhead would be crazy to try and pass first. Fitzgerald, Williams and Hill dictate what he should do in 2018. Start the fancy stuff in 2019

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    JoMo?s offense should light the SEC up this year with our personnel. His motion, misdirection and deception are what we need to neutralize the Bama defenses. This will be a damn good year if we stay healthy.

Aside from watching the offense videos under JoMo, look at the defense in those clips. The defense plays on its heels and gets frozen a lot. This is what gives him the edge and why I?ve been screaming to the top of my lungs at games for previous coach to simply put people in motion every play to freeze the defense.

I?ll go back to Fayetteville this last year. We ran WR motion and ran read option where WR was lined up originally. Was averaging 7 YPC vs 2 YPC without motion. Told the former player right besides me, we get 7 every time we use motion. Next play, WR motion on 1st and 10. Next play was 2nd and 3. He just looked at me.

These are college kids. Deception, fakes, motion, and misdirection all cause hesitation, this giving you the advantage. JoMo implements multiple aspects of these items into his plays, including his QB faking things on every play. If we get buy in, with this talent, the west will be decided in. Tuscaloosa next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    JoMo?s offense should light the SEC up this year with our personnel. His motion, misdirection and deception are what we need to neutralize the Bama defenses. This will be a damn good year if we stay healthy.

Aside from watching the offense videos under JoMo, look at the defense in those clips. The defense plays on its heels and gets frozen a lot. This is what gives him the edge and why I?ve been screaming to the top of my lungs at games for previous coach to simply put people in motion every play to freeze the defense.

I?ll go back to Fayetteville this last year. We ran WR motion and ran read option where WR was lined up originally. Was averaging 7 YPC vs 2 YPC without motion. Told the former player right besides me, we get 7 every time we use motion. Next play, WR motion on 1st and 10. Next play was 2nd and 3. He just looked at me.

These are college kids. Deception, fakes, motion, and misdirection all cause hesitation, this giving you the advantage. JoMo implements multiple aspects of these items into his plays, including his QB faking things on every play. If we get buy in, with this talent, the west will be decided in. Tuscaloosa next year.
    Yep noticed the same things. He attack?s, attack?s, attack?s with all kinds of freaky looking stuff. I can?t waut to see his offense with our talent.

vCash
    With Penn State JoMo uses a deep fade vs a man coverage on the outside. The idea looks to be similar to the back shoulder throws Mullen favored with Bear Wilson. Put the ball where only your guy can get it but over the top vs back shoulder.

That may be a special penny state emphasis. Teams really sold out to contain Barkley and McSorley seems particularly gifted at throwing that ball as well. Not sure you will see it quite as much with State but we will see. JoMo will keep the defense honest by spreading horizontally and vertically one way or another.

The entire Army vs Fordham game is on YouTube. Not too many deep fades there. That may look more like where we end up. More slants and curls. Fitz has really made some great tight window throws, especially on slants I’m ghe middle third. We may see that featured more.

vCash
    I think the passing game will be a lot more versatile and aggressive. We're going to throw the ball downfield more than we did with Dan and we're also going to have more higher percentage/easier to complete horizontal passes than we saw with Dan. Plus the RPO's. All of those things will help open up our running game even more because teams won't be able to pack it in and just concentrate on stopping Fitz.

Basically it's a more well rounded offense than Dan's- an upgraded passing system while retaining the best part of Dan's offense which was the running system.

vCash
    With Penn State JoMo uses a deep fade vs a man coverage on the outside. The idea looks to be similar to the back shoulder throws Mullen favored with Bear Wilson. Put the ball where only your guy can get it but over the top vs back shoulder.

That may be a special penny state emphasis. Teams really sold out to contain Barkley and McSorley seems particularly gifted at throwing that ball as well. Not sure you will see it quite as much with State but we will see. JoMo will keep the defense honest by spreading horizontally and vertically one way or another.

The entire Army vs Fordham game is on YouTube. Not too many deep fades there. That may look more like where we end up. More slants and curls. Fitz has really made some great tight window throws, especially on slants I’m ghe middle third. We may see that featured more.
    Slants and curls are what we should have been running on third and 8 instead of a QB draw up the gut. I did not like how Dan managed down and distance sometimes- either a QB draw that didn't fool anyone because we run it so much in that situation or a bomb to one of our raw or short WR's. Both are low percentage plays in that situation. I would have liked to have seen something quick and high percentage that has a higher probablility of getting a first down.

vCash

vCash