Thread: Kevin Sumlin to Arizona

vCash

Kevin Sumlin to Arizona

Great hire for Arizona IMO.

Sumlin's style of play fits the Pac 12 better than SEC & he'll have the connections to dip into to Texas & recruit a little better than Arizona is probably use to.

Good fit IMO

vCash
    Interestingly enough I saw Ken Niumatololo turned down the job. So Arizona apparently liked him more than they liked Sumlin which is interesting. Can’t imagine a PAC 12 team running the triple option

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Interestingly enough I saw Ken Niumatololo turned down the job. So Arizona apparently liked him more than they liked Sumlin which is interesting. Can’t imagine a PAC 12 team running the triple option
    He's the Navy guy?

vCash
    Sumlin is definitely a pac12/big12 hc. SEC to physical for his coaching style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    My guess that he would have evolved a little since Arizona would have more talent than Navy.

The service academies run the triple option 1. because they lack talent & size on the OL & 2. because their recruiting doesn't depend on scheme or even football.

That being said, I think the triple option would have success in the Pac 12 at a place Arizona that is a mid-level recruiter in that conference. The triple option is a direct contrast to the way defenses in that conference are built &, if you look at a place like Georgia Tech, it can really work. The ACC has far better DL than the Pac 12.

Can you imagine having to face Washington State one week & a triple option team with Arizona's talent the next?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    My guess that he would have evolved a little since Arizona would have more talent than Navy.

The service academies run the triple option 1. because they lack talent & size on the OL & 2. because their recruiting doesn't depend on scheme or even football.

That being said, I think the triple option would have success in the Pac 12 at a place Arizona that is a mid-level recruiter in that conference. The triple option is a direct contrast to the way defenses in that conference are built &, if you look at a place like Georgia Tech, it can really work. The ACC has far better DL than the Pac 12.

Can you imagine having to face Washington State one week & a triple option team with Arizona's talent the next?
    Navy is near the top academically, so maybe he likes that aspect. Plus, players of the caliber the service academies get have to be easier to work with and train, even though they may be less athletically talented. And he might like living in the megalopolis instead of the relative isolation of Tucson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Navy is near the top academically, so maybe he likes that aspect. Plus, players of the caliber the service academies get have to be easier to work with and train, even though they may be less athletically talented. And he might like living in the megalopolis instead of the relative isolation of Tucson.
    True, but he makes 1.6 mil at Navy. My guess is that Arizona would have payed him at least 2.5

I'll deal with a little more bullshit for 900K to a 1.5 million dollar raise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    True, but he makes 1.6 mil at Navy. My guess is that Arizona would have payed him at least 2.5

I'll deal with a little more bullshit for 900K to a 1.5 million dollar raise
    Eh, I know nothing about his lifestyle but it's possible he lives a simple life (relatively to other HC's) and doesn't care much about the money. Maybe he has a family that's plugged in

vCash
    Also of note, Brian Daboll is leaving Alabama to become the offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Also of note, Brian Daboll is leaving Alabama to become the offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills.
    Not exactly a lateral move. I thought you were supposed to move UP when you willingly changed jobs. **