Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yall need to ease up on the Howland hate

vCash

Yall need to ease up on the Howland hate

It seems most of the hate towards Howland comes from people who don't know what they're talking about. Usually their comments either start or end with "I'm not a basketball fan but...", or "I never played but...", it's ridiculous.

I'm not a sunshine pumper, but I'm seeing something totally different than what you guys are.

I'm sick of hearing you non basketball people talking about what we should and shouldn't do, especially regarding coaching. I've even heard yall talk about rather having an x's and o's coach over a recruiter and then bring up Andy f**king Kennedy. The same AK that just lost to Auburn after being up double digits in the 2nd half. Thank God you guys aren't in charge of making hires. AK hasn't done shit. Stop comparing what we do to what om does. They are mediocre and always will be. We have our sights on something bigger. Sure it's frustrating and taking more time than we'd like, but look at Auburn and what they're doing this year. What has Pearl done there until this year? It takes time!

You guys don't realize what Rick MF Ray did to our program. He killed it. Absolutely destroyed it. Howland had NOTHING to work with his 1st year. NOTHING. He did what he could. He went out and got the highest rated player to ever commit to State. Wasn't his fault Mali turned out the way he did. In fact, most fans were glad he was gone and praised Howland for not putting up with it.

So that left us with Q and Holman last year to lead THE youngest team in the country. There were ups and downs but we relied on freshmen and sophomores with a mediocre at best SR PG. Wasn't a great year but we found a way to get to .500 to finish the season.

Then Kegler decides to leave which hurts depth if anything. Again, not Howland's fault. Herard was highly rated because of his size and potential. But he's a soccer player turned basketball player. Now sure you can question why he wasn't improving, but some kids just don't get it. There are certain skills that can't be taught that he obviously lacked. Him leaving hurts depth but will open up possibilities for other guys.

Lamar Peters has potential to be elite. But it's all on him. Sure coaches can "help", but there's only so much a coach can do when it comes dealing with a player's mental state. A lot of yall talk about missing Stansbury but did yall forget all the drama and bs from a lot of his players? Yall forget all the transfers? Lamar can only help Lamar.

Stapleton and Wright just aren't good. I think Wright should move on and Stapleton is a Rick Ray type of player as far as basketball IQ goes.

Nick is what we need and he will become great once he gets settled into his leadership role. He's the guy we've been missing for years. But he's just a freshman.

Q is a great college player but needs to start shifting his leadership responsibilities to his brother and become a great role player like he naturally is.

Peters has that elite potential as I stated earlier.

Ado will only get better and be a great player for us. Don't forget he's a freshman.

Holman is solid. Can't ask much more from him. He'll improve too.

Carter has good basketball IQ, he just forces things sometimes but I like his style and his potential.

Datcher has improved. But will always be a backup.

Feazell will be good for us one day. He's got talent, but he's a freshman.

I'm sure I'm leaving out someone, but this year just is what it is. Still young and relying on young guys to lead. I for one see a lot of maturation and improvements from this team. Just give them some time.

Basketball relies on good players more so than what some of yall think. There are only so many x's and o's that a coach can draw up. It's not really like football where you have coordinators scheming up plays every single down where a lot falls on what the coach draws up. In basketball your players have to go out there and play the game. It's about feel and chemistry. There's a lot of improv that you don't get in a lot of other sports.

Is Howland perfect? No, but nobody is. I'm proud of the defense we've shown this year and to me that says a lot about the coach. You guys just got to lay off a little bit, bitching isn't helping anybody. Still a lot of games left to be played, let's see what happens and then next year I feel like we WILL have that breakout year as long as we don't lose any of our valuable players. This team needs everyone to rally around them. We've got a good AD that WILL do what it takes when it's time. Some you have nothing to lose by supporting this team. One of the hardest things to do as a coach is to keep a positive attitude within the team after losses start to stack up. If you bash the team, coaches, and don't show up to games when you can, you can't expect things to get better. Like I said, Cohen will do the right thing. Just don't give up on these guys (and coach), not yet.

vCash
    It's worth mentioning that Martin and Pearl continued to be mediocre in a high-hopes year 3 before being good later. No guarantee that Howland follows their pattern, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't hate him. Hate should be reserved for Stalin, antifa, and commies. I just want him the 17 gone from our basketball program. Not even retained as an assistant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I don't hate him. Hate should be reserved for Stalin, antifa, and commies. I just want him the 17 gone from our basketball program. Not even retained as an assistant.
    Nice self control not including liberals haha

vCash
    Coordinators very rarely ''draw plays up'' from scratch on a down to down basis. Maybe you see something and make a change to a play you run based on a look but I think the opposite.

Howland could call a play every possession if he wanted to, but I dont think he even knows what he wants to run on offense. We dont have an offensive system.

Its drive recklessly at the hoop or shoot a 3 and hope Ado gets a putback. Thats it

vCash
    Damn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Coordinators very rarely ''draw plays up'' from scratch on a down to down basis. Maybe you see something and make a change to a play you run based on a look but I think the opposite.

Howland could call a play every possession if he wanted to, but I dont think he even knows what he wants to run on offense. We dont have an offensive system.

Its drive recklessly at the hoop or shoot a 3 and hope Ado gets a putback. Thats it
    This is what I see as well. Absolutely no structure on offense. It?s really hard to watch us not knowing what we are doing on the offensive end. I?m not giving up on Howland yet but dang it?s not looking good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is what I see as well. Absolutely no structure on offense. It?s really hard to watch us not knowing what we are doing on the offensive end. I?m not giving up on Howland yet but dang it?s not looking good.
    I remember seeing us have unforced turnovers and Nick get his stuff blocked but I also saw us score in that same offense. The problem we have on offense is that we tend to get cold in the 2nd half. We're still getting the looks, just not making the shots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    It's worth mentioning that Martin and Pearl continued to be mediocre in a high-hopes year 3 before being good later. No guarantee that Howland follows their pattern, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.
    Howland ain't following the same pattern. Whether we want to or not, we will need to make a change either this year, or most likely next.

vCash
    Great perspective. Thanks for posting!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    I remember seeing us have unforced turnovers and Nick get his stuff blocked but I also saw us score in that same offense. The problem we have on offense is that we tend to get cold in the 2nd half. We're still getting the looks, just not making the shots.
    When we go inside we have success but we shoot way to many quick 3?s. Like I said not giving up on Howland yet but it just doesn?t seem like we are improving. I hope we get it turned around quick.

vCash
    Great guy and great resume, but the writing is on the wall.

vCash
    Sounds to me like recruiting is a lot of the problem. They're four star guys but it seems like if something they don't like happens to them- which will in a span of four years in college- they pack up and leave. That's a failure to identify character.

And that doesn't include Peters who I have seen responding to fans on Twitter who don't like his play.

I don't think we should bring Stansbury back- but he did do one thing a long time ago that helped us. He kicked off one of our star players- Robert Jackson I think- and it sparked the team. That might be what this team needs- and I would strongly suggest doing that to Peters. If Nick Weatherspoon is our best leader- I say let him lead. Even if he is a freshman.

Banned
    vCash
    Great post drummer! Auburn shot lights out in the 2nd half. They'd beat anyone shooting like that.

Banned
    vCash
    ..and democrats, liberals, never-trumpers, barack obama.....

vCash
    I haven’t even entertained the “Howland hate” because it’s beyond ridiculous. He’s bringing this program back from the brink of obscurity. We were nothing just a few short years ago. Now we’re talented and not winning key games, but we’re better and moving in the right direction. Some people just aren’t patient. This group, with a few key additions, could be very special. I’m talking Duke-level depth. And somehow people are ready to piss away that opportunity because of 2 shit losses?

vCash
    This reminds me of that saying "It's far better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Auburn shot lights out in the 2nd half.
    alot of that was our fault
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    alot of that was our fault
    Sure we fouled too much but Brown was on fire and it sparked two other guys. Auburn scored 52 in the 2nd half and probably shot over 60%. Not much you can do when a team full of jump shooters gets that hot.

vCash
    Is it Howland?s fault we can?t shoot free throws? Is it Howland?s fault we can?t shoot threes yet consistently jack up 20+ a game? Are those his fault or someone else?s?