Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Shooting at Starkville Walmart

  1. #21
    Senior Member BoomBoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Coast
    Posts
    8,796
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Oh the horror. Prison used as a deterrent rather than slightly less comfortable living conditions.
    the best deterrent is would-be criminals thinking they'll probably get caught.

  2. #22
    Senior Member TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    7,737
    vCash
    1006
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    the best deterrent is would-be criminals thinking they'll probably get shot.
    FIFY
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.


    Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,557
    vCash
    10
    Man, looking at the title, I thought this was a BBall thread. Dang.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,164
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    When I was in middle school in the late '60's we were taken on a class trip to see life at Parchment, toured the farms, housing, saw gas chamber and electric chair. Trustees were still being used and inmates worked in the fields. Strange, but I bought a homemade knife from a trustee as they were allowed to make and sell to visitors. Trip made a real lasting impact on the class. Sure today the courts have or would make working in the fields cruel and unusual punishment.
    I did the fieldtrip thing to Parchman in the 1990's. It was a lot more like Scared Straight. They had about 4-5 prisoners talking to us about everything that goes on in there- how they kill each other and rape each other and all of that and they showed us some shanks. Basically told us that if we ever came to prison that they would rape us. I wanted to ask the prison guard where the hell they were when all of that was going on? Of course I now understand that a lot of the guards are in on it as much as anything. Sort of like football officials at an Alabama football game.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,164
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg1 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisi...e_Penitentiary

    Been here before. I believe they are mostly self sastained.
    They're probably almost self sustained from pulling over MSU fans for speeding during football season.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Turfdawg67's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,138
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I figured it was too cold for the local thugs and gang bangers to be out....
    Ahhh... First impressions. Nope just an angry middle-aged white dude from out of town.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,164
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Ahhh... First impressions. Nope just an angry middle-aged white dude from out of town.
    He had legit psychiatric issues. Oddly enough I used to work with him at the same hospital in Jackson and he had an issue where he had a mental breakdown and had a standoff with the police at his home in Madison. He had a stockpile of weapons at his house at that time. It was over his significant other (girlfriend, fiancee', can't remember what the exact relationship was). When that happened I figured that would be the last I saw of him. Nope. He was back at work about two weeks later.

    I was surprised that there wasn't any apparent legal action- I figured there would be since he threatened to shoot a Madison County deputy and a SWAT team member- even though he was found to be mentally ill. And maybe there was legal action and I just wasn't privy to it- I didn't ask him about it.

    Anyway- it's not the first time he has had something similar to this happen. The sad thing is based on his history it seems like this somehow could have been avoided. I'm sure he will either end up in Parchman (likely) or maybe if he is lucky Whitfield since he does have a psychiatric history. I'll be interested to find out- preliminary hearing is tomorrow at 3 PM in Starkville I believe.

    As a co-worker he didn't seem like a "bad" guy at all- but he's also apparently someone that can't manage his life and he doesn't need to be out in public anymore.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,516
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Ahhh... First impressions. Nope just an angry middle-aged white dude from out of town.
    Meaning?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Starkville
    Posts
    2,806
    vCash
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Meaning?
    You need it explained?

  10. #30
    Senior Member Turfdawg67's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,138
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He had legit psychiatric issues. Oddly enough I used to work with him at the same hospital in Jackson and he had an issue where he had a mental breakdown and had a standoff with the police at his home in Madison. He had a stockpile of weapons at his house at that time. It was over his significant other (girlfriend, fiancee', can't remember what the exact relationship was). When that happened I figured that would be the last I saw of him. Nope. He was back at work about two weeks later.

    I was surprised that there wasn't any apparent legal action- I figured there would be since he threatened to shoot a Madison County deputy and a SWAT team member- even though he was found to be mentally ill. And maybe there was legal action and I just wasn't privy to it- I didn't ask him about it.

    Anyway- it's not the first time he has had something similar to this happen. The sad thing is based on his history it seems like this somehow could have been avoided. I'm sure he will either end up in Parchman (likely) or maybe if he is lucky Whitfield since he does have a psychiatric history. I'll be interested to find out- preliminary hearing is tomorrow at 3 PM in Starkville I believe.

    As a co-worker he didn't seem like a "bad" guy at all- but he's also apparently someone that can't manage his life and he doesn't need to be out in public anymore.
    Wow! Utterly speechless... thanks for sharing.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    5,203
    vCash
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He had legit psychiatric issues. Oddly enough I used to work with him at the same hospital in Jackson and he had an issue where he had a mental breakdown and had a standoff with the police at his home in Madison. He had a stockpile of weapons at his house at that time. It was over his significant other (girlfriend, fiancee', can't remember what the exact relationship was). When that happened I figured that would be the last I saw of him. Nope. He was back at work about two weeks later.

    I was surprised that there wasn't any apparent legal action- I figured there would be since he threatened to shoot a Madison County deputy and a SWAT team member- even though he was found to be mentally ill. And maybe there was legal action and I just wasn't privy to it- I didn't ask him about it.

    Anyway- it's not the first time he has had something similar to this happen. The sad thing is based on his history it seems like this somehow could have been avoided. I'm sure he will either end up in Parchman (likely) or maybe if he is lucky Whitfield since he does have a psychiatric history. I'll be interested to find out- preliminary hearing is tomorrow at 3 PM in Starkville I believe.

    As a co-worker he didn't seem like a "bad" guy at all- but he's also apparently someone that can't manage his life and he doesn't need to be out in public anymore.
    Sounds like a guy who could easily have gone on a major shooting and killing spree. Good thing he'll be in custody the rest of his life, for his sake as well as others'.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,701
    vCash
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I figured it was too cold for the local thugs and gang bangers to be out....
    Racist much?

  13. #33
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,164
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Sounds like a guy who could easily have gone on a major shooting and killing spree. Good thing he'll be in custody the rest of his life, for his sake as well as others'.
    Absolutely agree. And who's to say that it wouldn't have happened at a hospital I was working at.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,004
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ababyatemydingo View Post
    Parchman used to be a prison farm.
    Tom Cook was over the prison and the inmates raised everything they ate. They grew so much they sold to the locals. The prison at that time was self supporting.
    Children were taken to the prison during the Spring. The field trip stopped due to children getting up set seeing their parent behind bars.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,004
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    When I was in middle school in the late '60's we were taken on a class trip to see life at Parchment, toured the farms, housing, saw gas chamber and electric chair. Trustees were still being used and inmates worked in the fields. Strange, but I bought a homemade knife from a trustee as they were allowed to make and sell to visitors. Trip made a real lasting impact on the class. Sure today the courts have or would make working in the fields cruel and unusual punishment.
    This was stopped in the late 1990's.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,004
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Absolutely agree. And who's to say that it wouldn't have happened at a hospital I was working at.
    It's reported that this guy was out on a felon against this woman.

  17. #37
    Senior Member starkvegasdawg34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Eye of the Storm
    Posts
    15,641
    vCash
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    It's reported that this guy was out on a felon against this woman.
    He was definitely 17ed up in the head.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    5,203
    vCash
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Absolutely agree. And who's to say that it wouldn't have happened at a hospital I was working at.
    Yeah, and that's scary. What did this guy do at the hospitals? Was he a professional?
    Last edited by RocketDawg; 01-14-2018 at 01:16 PM.

  19. #39
    Senior Member TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    7,737
    vCash
    1006
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Racist much?
    Which part was most racist, in your opinion?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.


    Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    5,203
    vCash
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Which part was most racist, in your opinion?
    Yeah, I don't recall Lee mentioning race in his post. He merely said "local thugs and gangbangers", which could be anybody. Now, to assume otherwise might be racist ....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.