Thread: I think Vic coaches every possession as hard as anyone I've seen...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    beating UCONN gave us the most national exposure MSU has gotten since 2014 & no telling how many years before that. I would think that being a national power in WBB, even if it loses money on paper, would bring in money in ways that are unseen (new fans, enrollment, keeping fans engaged w/ MSU athletics while other sports flounder).

I imagine there are a lot of young women right now growing up watching Vic's teams that will be lifelong MSU fans & potentially students solely b/c we are so successful in a sport that they feel connected to. I know a young girl from an OM family who can name every player, goes to games, interacts with our players. Not saying she becomes a lifelong fan & student but no way she'd be interested in MSU for any other reason. Through women's basketball we are reaching a potential fanbase that football, baseball, & MBB couldn't reach no matter how successful.

Not saying we should just throw money at the program, b/c we have to budget smarter than the rest of the SEC, but I don't think you can evaluate the return on investment in our WBB program just by ticket sales & what's on paper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post
    beating UCONN gave us the most national exposure MSU has gotten since 2014 & no telling how many years before that. I would think that being a national power in WBB, even if it loses money on paper, would bring in money in ways that are unseen (new fans, enrollment, keeping fans engaged w/ MSU athletics while other sports flounder).

I imagine there are a lot of young women right now growing up watching Vic's teams that will be lifelong MSU fans & potentially students solely b/c we are so successful in a sport that they feel connected to. I know a young girl from an OM family who can name every player, goes to games, interacts with our players. Not saying she becomes a lifelong fan & student but no way she'd be interested in MSU for any other reason. Through women's basketball we are reaching a potential fanbase that football, baseball, & MBB couldn't reach no matter how successful.

Not saying we should just throw money at the program, b/c we have to budget smarter than the rest of the SEC, but I don't think you can evaluate the return on investment in our WBB program just by ticket sales & what's on paper.
    Nailed it. You pay out your arse for that kind of exposure. From a media/sponsorship standpoint, that’s worth way more than $4 million annually. If we become a perennial final four team and challenge or win a national championship, there’s zero reason to reduce our “losses” in the women’s basketball program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Nailed it. You pay out your arse for that kind of exposure. From a media/sponsorship standpoint, that’s worth way more than $4 million annually. If we become a perennial final four team and challenge or win a national championship, there’s zero reason to reduce our “losses” in the women’s basketball program.
    Yep. When UCONN is mentioned, 95% of people think about their women's basketball team. Although Jim Calhoun did win there as a men's coach, the women's team really is the national face of UCONN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post

I agree. That UCONN game coupled with Dak Prescott in the stands cheering the women on probably generated enough revenue to pay Coach Schaefer's salary. Robin Roberts was wearing a State jersey on Good Morning America before the Final Four and she gave all kind of exposure to our program after the win.
    I know for a fact that applications for admissions jumped right after the UCONN game as they do for all big wins in other sports. I always like to ask students what made them decide to go to Mississippi State and some of the answers are as simple as seeing the women beat UCONN. They definitely generate a lot of positive exposure for our school.