Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wintry weather possible Friday

vCash

Wintry weather possible Friday

Not saying run to your local grocery store and buy all the milk and bread in sight yet, but starting to get some strong hints this Friday might see at least parts of north MS get some type of wintry precipitation. Right now mainly looking like rain transitioning over to sleet and freezing rain, but depending on the track and strength of the low, some areas could see a transition over to snow. Several of the models are showing at least some frozen precipitation, but they are disagreeing on type and amount. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow things will be more defined.

Oh, and just for giggles, keep an eye on next Monday night and Tuesday, too

vCash
    Thanks Vegas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Not saying run to your local grocery store and buy all the milk and bread in sight yet, but starting to get some strong hints this Friday might see at least parts of north MS get some type of wintry precipitation. Right now mainly looking like rain transitioning over to sleet and freezing rain, but depending on the track and strength of the low, some areas could see a transition over to snow. Several of the models are showing at least some frozen precipitation, but they are disagreeing on type and amount. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow things will be more defined.

DANG - there goes my trip to the nudist camp

vCash
    I'm headed to the store for more beer. Thanks for the excuse.

vCash

What are we considering North Ms? Is there a chance as far down as Golden Triangle area? Know its early just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    What are we considering North Ms? Is there a chance as far down as Golden Triangle area? Know its early just curious.
    The model run they showed on WTVA last night showed the frozen stuff down to maybe West Point. Matt qualified it by saying a model 3 days out is like a 1000 years out when it comes to forecasting frozen stuff in Mississippi. He said he was feeling increasingly confident that there would be at least some frozen precipitation, but how much, what kind, and where is very much an open question.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Damnit. Supposed to be driving up that way to hunt this weekend north of Aberdeen . Last time I attempted to hunt was the snow in early December. Guess I?ll just leave the deer and hope they make it to November.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    The last couple model runs were along and north of I-20. However, the one that just came in shifted it all much further north basically almost all in TN. Have to wait and see if that?s a one model hiccup or a trend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Damnit. Supposed to be driving up that way to hunt this weekend north of Aberdeen . Last time I attempted to hunt was the snow in early December. Guess I?ll just leave the deer and hope they make it to November.
    Wise decision. A friend of mine lost his brother in the last snow we just had. He wrecked his truck going deer hunting.

vCash
    The last couple model runs were along and north of I-20. However, the one that just came in shifted it all much further north basically almost all in TN. Have to wait and see if that?s a one model hiccup or a trend.
    Hopefully a trend since the way the local guys are talking by in NE Miss it might be ice if it happens. A snow that goes away in a day or two is fine. No ice.

vCash
    Where exactly if its not a secret? I live just north of Aberdeen.

vCash
    Exactly... very hard to predict where the moisture will occur even 3 days out. But multiple runs of different models coming into consensus is when you can have better confidence.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    Where exactly if its not a secret? I live just north of Aberdeen.
    Old family land in Becker Bottom. The old ?if it?s brown it?s down? people around us finally got too old and decrepit to hunt the last two years and the deer are much better and more plentiful. Used to find a ton of small bucks along property lines. Made me sick. We don?t shoot anything you can?t see antlers without a scope. And then don?t shoot unless it?s an 8 or better. I personally don?t like shooting anything that looks questionable.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Wise decision. A friend of mine lost his brother in the last snow we just had. He wrecked his truck going deer hunting.
    Decided long ago that a weekend hunting isn?t worth the risk of never getting to hunt, or do anything ever again. There will always be tomorrow, so to speak.

vCash
    I hope this is true. I'm driving up to Starkville this weekend for the men's and women's games and I don't want to start the 3 hour drive back Sunday until after the Saints game. I don't want to be on the roads if there is a good possibility of ice. I'm going to watch you weather guys closely over the next few days.

vCash
    Old family land in Becker Bottom. The old ?if it?s brown it?s down? people around us finally got too old and decrepit to hunt the last two years and the deer are much better and more plentiful. Used to find a ton of small bucks along property lines. Made me sick. We don?t shoot anything you can?t see antlers without a scope. And then don?t shoot unless it?s an 8 or better. I personally don?t like shooting anything that looks questionable.
    I live on the other side of the river. You are always going to have the problem of people who can't not pull the trigger. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to shoot a buck unless it was better than the last one, I have just about put myself out of the buck business. I haven't killed 5 bucks in the last 15 years but the ones I did kill were good ones, to top the last 2 I'm probably going to have to go to Texas or Iowa for a realistic opportunity. It's hard to get up at 5 am and go sit in the cold when most days I could shoot a doe out my kitchen window.

vCash
    The Weather Channel is still showing a mix in about the northern third of Mississippi, and maybe the northern and northwestern 20% of Alabama. Presumably they're using the latest model runs. Another comes out about 5 Central?

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    I live on the other side of the river. You are always going to have the problem of people who can't not pull the trigger. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to shoot a buck unless it was better than the last one, I have just about put myself out of the buck business. I haven't killed 5 bucks in the last 15 years but the ones I did kill were good ones, to top the last 2 I'm probably going to have to go to Texas or Iowa for a realistic opportunity. It's hard to get up at 5 am and go sit in the cold when most days I could shoot a doe out my kitchen window.
    Yea the cold makes it difficult sometimes. I truly just enjoy getting away from the city, people and traffic. Sitting there in silence has similar effects as a drug for me. Very relaxing. I Spend more time with my camera in hand than gun. There are some nice shooters around but only have pics at night. They didn?t make daylight appearances until last weekend last year. It?s almost as if the ones who make it to a nice size have a 6th sense of when the season starts and ends and they don?t forget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    The Weather Channel is still showing a mix in about the northern third of Mississippi, and maybe the northern and northwestern 20% of Alabama. Presumably they're using the latest model runs. Another comes out about 5 Central?
    NWS saying up to 1? of snow/sleet basically Highway 82 and points north. Possibly 4? near the TN border. The noon NAM is out and continuing the northward shift. The next run will be at 6:00 and should be available around 8:30-9:00.

vCash
    NWS saying up to 1? of snow/sleet basically Highway 82 and points north. Possibly 4? near the TN border. The noon NAM is out and continuing the northward shift. The next run will be at 6:00 and should be available around 8:30-9:00.
    Presumably the ? is inches, not feet.

That would be pretty light ... it's not a big deal if it's all snow. Last time the models missed the snow totals by a large margin though.