Thread: Has the 26' three-pointer taken the place of good ball movement and setting screens?

vCash

Has the 26' three-pointer taken the place of good ball movement and setting screens?

Remember back when shooters shot the three ball with their toes right behind the line? Yeah, it don't happen very much any more. Why? Well, one reason is because in the new era of 1-on-1 ball dominating the game play, getting open for a shot at the line is difficult. It takes movement. It takes setting a screen properly. It takes making more than 1-2 passes per possession. In other words, it's not lazy. Which is what the crap is we are watching now. And what kills me is that the coaches just let them do it.

There was a time when if someone shot a deep three it was actually note-worthy. "Did you see Bowers hit that three from the logo last night?!?! That was incredible!". Now, hell, that's every other shot.

It's just lazy basketball.

vCash
    3-point line general. Doesn’t matter about moving back imo.

I played in a gym that’s didnt have a 3-point line and averaged 22 a game. The next year I played in a gym with a line and averaged just under 16 a game. It changes your mentality as a player. It’s killed the midrange game. Dunk it or pop a 3. That’s the only two “cool” things to do on a court now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    It’s killed the midrange game. Dunk it or pop a 3. That’s the only two “cool” things to do on a court now.
    Part of that is coaching because on paper, from just inside the free throw line to the 3 point line is a less efficient shot than just outside the 3 point line. I'm not saying that makes it right to have many players abandon the mid-range game, but it is a factor.

vCash
    Basketball was considered "boring" and it turned into a 3pt shooting, running, and dunking game. You can thank the NBA.

vCash
    the jumper from the free throw line extended has gone with the dinosaurs. If we would shoot threes only when we have our dribble, we would shoot a much better %. The Ball fake according to Bobby Knight is the most under-utilized tool in college basketball. That is why the inside-out 3 is a much better shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Basketball was considered "boring" and it turned into a 3pt shooting, running, and dunking game. You can thank the NBA.
    THIS. It was way more fun before the three. Do away with the three and go to a 45 second shot clock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    THIS. It was way more fun before the three. Do away with the three and go to a 45 second shot clock.
    no-the 4 corners would appear. 3 point is ok--just bring back some basketball IQ--blocking out-give and -go--ball fakes--screens--12 foot jumpers----back door cuts-go to the glass when your team mate shoots.. As much as we miss-Ado should have 5 offensive put backs a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Worst take ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    the jumper from the free throw line extended has gone with the dinosaurs. If we would shoot threes only when we have our dribble, we would shoot a much better %. The Ball fake according to Bobby Knight is the most under-utilized tool in college basketball. That is why the inside-out 3 is a much better shot.
    The problem is that guys who can hit the mid range shot are typically the most effective players at the college and pro level. Your best guys can hit every shot on the floor and hit enough of them to make you have to defend them all over. So I've got no clue why the mid range jump game has gone away because in college you can kill folks with that.

That was why I liked Sword so much. He would take and make enough of those to allow him to open up the drive to the basket and the 3 point shot. It was ok with me if he had an off night because even his misses still ended up with a purpose. Jacking up a 26' 3 pointer serves no purpose really. It's almost never the best shot on the court and unless you can hit them with regularity the defense doesn't have to do anything different to defend you.

vCash
    Rodney Hood has a great midrange game while at State. He’s the last one I can remember in maroon.

If you’re shooting a 18’ jump shot, yeah, back up. If you’re taking it to the hole though, it’s ok to pull up inside of 15’. You never see that anymore. The floater is the closest thing to it.

vCash

For threeeeeeee....

Well I averaged 33 and almost eight 3?s a game. I shot them because I made most of them and because my short fat ass could get my shot off. Didn?t matter how far they guarded me. I?d pull it from the timeline. Then that opens up the fake and a running jumper or midrange.

Shooting 33% from three is the same as 50% from 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    Well I averaged 33 and almost eight 3?s a game. I shot them because I made most of them and because my short fat ass could get my shot off. Didn?t matter how far they guarded me. I?d pull it from the timeline. Then that opens up the fake and a running jumper or midrange.

Shooting 33% from three is the same as 50% from 2.

That’s it. We’re playing 1 on 1.

vCash

Hahahahaha ha ha

That was many moons ago and about 75 lbs ago. I bet I haven?t truly played basketball in almost 15 years.