Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some positive signs in football recruiting for 2019 for Moorhead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    The Cecil and CJ ordeals made him say say to heck with it recruiting wise, I’ll take the recruits willing to come here and do the best I can approach.

He didn’t love recruiting to begin with and experiencing the network made him hate it I think. Losing Tee Sheperd when we needed corners and they just flipped his dad to hurt our roster affected Dan as well.

It’ll be interesting to see if Florida will recruit itself with that staff.
    And that's why his ceiling is limited. Most coaches adapt. He just threw his hands in the air and just acted arrogant about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And that's why his ceiling is limited. Most coaches adapt. He just threw his hands in the air and just acted arrogant about it.
    And he was surrounded by an echo chamber of Yes Men: Hev, Billy G, Sallach. I'm sure when Cohen told him pretty bluntly he wasn't going to be a pushover like Loafers it was a shock to his system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ababyatemydingo View Post
    Yeah, you aren't going to be able to "process" and replace with another 5 * like y'all used to. The 25 hard signing cap each year is going to nip that shit in the bud. Going forward; if you miss on one, you won't be able to process him, and oversign 5*'s the next year.
    It will barely have any effect at all on Bama.

First of all, they will sign just as many top tier recruits as they did before....they will just have to pass on a recruit or two that they think has good potential, that they would have signed under the old rules.

Second, it's not like Bama was signing 30 guys every year....per 247, they signed 29 (28 enrolled) last year, 24 (23) in 2016, 24 (24) in 2015, 26 (24) in 2014 and 26 (26) in 2013. So over the last 5 signing classes, the new rule would have cost them 4 enrollees and 4 sign and place guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    It will barely have any effect at all on Bama.

First of all, they will sign just as many top tier recruits as they did before....they will just have to pass on a recruit or two that they think has good potential, that they would have signed under the old rules.

Second, it's not like Bama was signing 30 guys every year....per 247, they signed 29 (28 enrolled) last year, 24 (23) in 2016, 24 (24) in 2015, 26 (24) in 2014 and 26 (26) in 2013. So over the last 5 signing classes, the new rule would have cost them 4 enrollees and 4 sign and place guys.
    Yep... Bammer averages about 25-26 signees/year... and, just guessing, they prolly lose 4-5 underclassmen/yr to the NFL... Over a 3 year period (25*3 = 75) that's 10 below the 85 cap... with Medical issues, sign & place, count forward/back, walk-ons, etc, it usually works out... roster management has been pretty solid, IMO...

Sandwolf said better than I...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamdog9 View Post
    Teddy Ginn Jr.?-Our Track Coach had him lined up to visit. Croom told him he had better recevers lined up. Ginn was down to MSU & Ohio st.
    Same thing happened with Ty Montgomery. He was actually in Starkville and wanted to come visit and nobody would return his phone call. That was when Mullen was here though. I think it was Melvin that ignored it.

vCash
    Mullen will have the same level of sustained success at a Florida he did at State. He’s not passing UGA or Bama anytime soon. And just getting to the SECCG apparently isn’t good enough for them considering they fired Mac despite him getting there with a shit roster. Florida State will likely be ahead of them too. I suspect they’ll trade blows with UT and USC the same way we do with Ark and A&M.

4-5 years from now, he and Strick will be looking for a new job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Mullen will have the same level of sustained success at a Florida he did at State. He’s not passing UGA or Bama anytime soon. And just getting to the SECCG apparently isn’t good enough for them considering they fired Mac despite him getting there with a shit roster. Florida State will likely be ahead of them too. I suspect they’ll trade blows with UT and USC the same way we do with Ark and A&M.

4-5 years from now, he and Strick will be looking for a new job.
    Agree on everything accept I think he?ll be gone after year 3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep, three years and I'm willing to bet not one SECCG showing. Kirby will be his Daddy just like Saban was in the West.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Could be. Strick will try to buy him as much time as possible, but he won’t have long to win the East and I don’t think UGA is going to allow that happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    We aren't a big enough name to get a ton of Top 100 guys to come to camp. Same for a lot of the Top 300 guys. Let's be honest. At face value, taking rankings, history, and prestige into consideration, we are going to lose every time to at least 15-20 programs. If you are a teenager that is highly ranked and you only have time to go to 3 or 4 camps, ours is probably not one of them unless you are in state, in the area, or have a connection by some other means.

So we have to work harder if we want those guys. We can't be pissed if they don't come to campus for camp. Those guys now go to camps either as individuals or with their teams at 7 on 7 stuff. So we have to work harder to get them if we are going to truly compete against top tier programs for recruits.

Moorhead and company are already working harder by offering guys that we normally wouldn't. We are going to have to work to get top kids to come to campus. And I don't think it's crazy to try and recruit nationally if you have the right connections and understand a player's mindset. Kids far away may have extended family near you or family members in position to make a move, may like the feel of your campus better, may like the personality of your staff better, may like the style of offense/defense you run. Or might have buddies on your team that they met through camp. Teenagers have all kinds of reasons they make decisions and we never took advantage of that under Mullen.

We developed great talent under Mullen. But developing talent and getting highly rated talent aren't mutually exclusive. Moorhead I think is about to show us that.
    I don't disagree in principle with what you are saying. We don't have the history of the Bama's, LSU, Texas, etc. However, most HS kids only remember us being fairly competitive in the SEC (last 9 years). An 18 year old was 9 when Dan got here, so they remember the last few, more than some of the horrendous years previous. By being in the SEC, we are a national name. We are not the biggest name, but I don't run into people that have never heard of MSU when I travel the country. And, sports fans that I talk to in my company certainly know about us. I do think it is time to take the next step in trying to expand our recruiting footprint, which should have been done after 2014. Throw the net, and see what you get. MS should always be the base, but those outer edges can be expanded.