Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some positive signs in football recruiting for 2019 for Moorhead

vCash

Some positive signs in football recruiting for 2019 for Moorhead

This may be just pure perception more than anything but it appears to me that we are offering more top 100 National type players. That's a good thing because if MSU keeps showing up as an offer I think it gives the perception that we are a serious player in recruiting for whatever reason. That's one of the things that Ole Miss does to help boost their recruiting some. Dan didn't offer these types of players as much.

It appears as if we are going to have a junior day possibly the same weekend that we play Ole Miss in basketball. Look, I know our team sucks in men's basketball right now. But that would be a good game for our fans to try to go to if for no other reason to give us a good crowd for the football recruits. And I do need to mention that this isn't official yet- but I do personally think it's likely.

In the past, Dan probably would have scheduled Junior Day the same day as the ACT with no home basketball game because he didn't want it to interfere with his marathon training schedule.**

Seriously, this appears to be better awareness from our staff in recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This may be just pure perception more than anything but it appears to me that we are offering more top 100 National type players. That's a good thing because if MSU keeps showing up as an offer I think it gives the perception that we are a serious player in recruiting for whatever reason. That's one of the things that Ole Miss does to help boost their recruiting some. Dan didn't offer these types of players as much.

It appears as if we are going to have a junior day possibly the same weekend that we play Ole Miss in basketball. Look, I know our team sucks in men's basketball right now. But that would be a good game for our fans to try to go to if for no other reason to give us a good crowd for the football recruits. And I do need to mention that this isn't official yet- but I do personally think it's likely.

In the past, Dan probably would have scheduled Junior Day the same day as the ACT with no home basketball game because he didn't want it to interfere with his marathon training schedule.**

IIRC, OM was offering EVERY top 100 player (maybe even top 300), and while it may seem "whorish", I think it was a pretty good idea... I mean, what have you got to lose, some free print? Hell, if I was Moorehead/MSU, I'd offer consider a similar tactic, sans the shenanigans...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    IIRC, OM was offering EVERY top 100 player (maybe even top 300), and while it may seem "whorish", I think it was a pretty good idea... I mean, what have you got to lose, some free print? Hell, if I was Moorehead/MSU, I'd offer consider a similar tactic, sans the shenanigans...
    Yeah I'm not sure why every P5 school doesn't do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    IIRC, OM was offering EVERY top 100 player (maybe even top 300)
    I wonder how much they spent?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I wonder how much they spent?
    Not much on a blanket offer. It's whatever paper costs to send them the offer.

vCash
    Could we invite them to the Dude instead of basketball? I'm sure a half built Dude is better then the product we put in the Hump.

vCash

That's b/c he was too busy looking for that 2* diamond in the rough.

Remember the rumor I posted a week ago that TBuck was appalled at our laziness in recruiting. Compared to FSU we were WAAAAAAAAY behind the 8 ball. Dan told him that he didn't waste time on big name guys. So, TBuck goes into FL and gets a 4* guy that Dan said we couldn't get.

vCash
    I told you all a few weeks ago....it wasn't just the alleged money and whores that Ole Miss used in recruiting it was also OUR staff's lazy approach to recruiting. If our staff had put in half the effort the Ole Miss staff did then we wouldn't have seen so many flips, drama, etc. Things are going to change drastically with this new staff in here. There are some real fighters on it that excel at recruiting.

Things are changing drastically in that area. Plus, even though Ole Miss was slapped on the wrist, they are still on probation. Don't think for a second that a BUNCH of folks aren't watching their recruiting process very closely.

vCash
    Not much on a blanket offer. It's whatever paper costs to send them the offer.
    If you want to make an impact on them, visit them. I'd send everyone out in pairs and divide up the top 100 among them and visit each kid. 16 of this years Top 100 on 247 are in Georgia, and 4 more are close to the GA boarder. That's 20% of the list in a few days of driving. You catch 1 of those kids and it is worth it. There are enough kids from the SEC footprint in the Top 300 that if we just focused on those we would be a step up from whatever it was the Country Club was doing.

vCash
    Good post Todd.

I think in some ways when Don got to MSU he had to run the the football program like a small business because it was.

However, as we see in business, many small businesses have trouble changing their mindset once they become a bigger business.

I see Moorhead & co as a management company that observed this small business doing well, forming a niche market, & saying we can take this to the next level.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Great post Todd.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    if you remember-the Slytanic was going to recruit Cally and bring those players to State. How did that work? face it-we must recruit-Ms-Al-TN-LA and sometime TX and FL. IMHO we are wasting our time and Money trying to recruit Nationally. our biggest advantage is MS JUCO.

Banned
    vCash

If Moorhead's offense is really Chip Kelly Part II, I would agree with you. We won't know that until next year most likely. Right now, I still think we need to recruit the way Mississippi State recruits - circle in on Mississippi players and other overlooked players from surrounding states (the 5 hour drive time as Muffins said), and show them how much we want them to come help us build something. Blanket offering kids from around the country runs contrary that, and could work against us.

Once we get a reputation like Oregon's, we can recruit more nationally.

vCash
    Dan loved and ate up the “developer of player” and turning 2 and 3 stars into sec players that the media labeled him as.
    It was safe for Dan. If they were just average or didn’t contribute oh well they weren’t suppose to be good. If they became SEC guys and Pros, Hey look at me I’m a genius and can find talent and develope it.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 01-11-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Dan loved and ate up the ?developer of player? and turning 2 and 3 stars into sec players that the media labeled him as.
    It was safe for Dan. If they were just average or didn?t contribute oh well they weren?t suppose to be good. If they became SEC guys and Pros, Hey look at me I?m a genius and can find talent and develope it.
    I am not fan of Dan Mullen (anymore) but lets not go off the cliff here. He did a good job developing players and that was his MO from the first day he got here. His first speech as coach he intended to recruit the raw talent within 5 hours of Starkville and coach them up. It was a good strategy, and one Moorhead should not ignore.

vCash
    Considering one coach on staff said the handcuffs have been take off recruiting now, I'm going to agree the last staff was lazy as 17.

vCash
    Teddy Ginn Jr.—-Our Track Coach had him lined up to visit. Croom told him he had better recevers lined up. Ginn was down to MSU & Ohio st.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Considering one coach on staff said the handcuffs have been take off recruiting now, I'm going to agree the last staff was lazy as 17.
    Some folks have forgotten the stories out of camp over the years. Billy G basically saying if they don't come to our camp he doesn't want them.

I'm sure Moorhead will get a good bit of talent out of MS/AL/LA but we can't let opportunities to get in with some national guys go by. Dan let our #1 ranking go to waste. We could have been in the discussion for some national talent had that been used better by the staff.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I'm sure Moorhead will get a good bit of talent out of MS/AL/LA but we can't let opportunities to get in with some national guys go by. Dan let our #1 ranking go to waste. We could have been in the discussion for some national talent had that been used better by the staff.
    No question on this. Again, Dax Muffins' legacy is what he failed to accomplish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    I am not fan of Dan Mullen (anymore) but lets not go off the cliff here. He did a good job developing players and that was his MO from the first day he got here. His first speech as coach he intended to recruit the raw talent within 5 hours of Starkville and coach them up. It was a good strategy, and one Moorhead should not ignore.
    I never said he wasn’t good in that area. Just saying he and the staff was lazy in recruiting and didn’t go after some guys that with more effort we may could have closed.
    You can’t just recruit the state of Miss and compete with the big boys.