Thread: Hanging around a partially frozen 110' waterfall

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash

Hanging around a partially frozen 110' waterfall

Poorly shot video of Falling Water Falls in TN over the weekend:

To be fair to me, though, I was lying down with my head and arms hanging over the edge of a cliff, clutching my phone with my frigid bare hands. So I guess it's not that bad all things considered.

Here's the falls from another angle:

And here's what the top of the falls looked like:

I'm a little bummed to lose all the cool ice formations we've had over the past couple of weeks. But I'm also pretty stoked that it's above freezing again.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 01-09-2018 at 04:37 PM.

vCash
    Thats badass

vCash
    Very cool. It's been really cold that way.

vCash
    my Father in Law owned Cummins Falls (of Cummins Falls State Park in Cookeville, Tn ) and grew up there ... in 1940 the falls froze solid - as in no running water at all ..... I have a picture of it and it's the coolest thing ... don't have it in digital format - it's a black and white photo but maybe I can scan it and post ... The other family members have pics from inside / behind the falls and the ice cavern was incredible .... I was up there over New Years and I can assure you it was cold .... When we got back part of Biloxi back bay was frozen - crazy weather

vCash
    That was pretty cool. Nice work capturing it.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    my Father in Law owned Cummins Falls (of Cummins Falls State Park in Cookeville, Tn ) and grew up there ... in 1940 the falls froze solid - as in no running water at all ..... I have a picture of it and it's the coolest thing ... don't have it in digital format - it's a black and white photo but maybe I can scan it and post ... The other family members have pics from inside / behind the falls and the ice cavern was incredible .... I was up there over New Years and I can assure you it was cold .... When we got back part of Biloxi back bay was frozen - crazy weather
    Dude, that's awesome. Never been to Cummins Falls, but it's on my list. Kudos to your in-laws for selling the land to the state for public conservation. You should definitely try to post your pic if you can.

Coolest icy waterfall I've seen in person was along the Cumberland Trail back in 2009. Dubbed "Immodium Falls" by the local kayakers for what are no doubt gnarly rapids in the spring. It had been super cold the few days before our hike, but had warmed up to the mid 40s the day of. Back before the days off auto panoramic shots on phones, my brother took a bunch of pics of me sitting next to the falls' partially frozen pool and manually stitched them together:

vCash
    [QUOTE=Prediction? Pain.;874225]Dude, that's awesome. Never been to Cummins Falls, but it's on my list. Kudos to your in-laws for selling the land to the state for public conservation. You should definitely try to post your pic if you can.

Coolest icy waterfall I've seen in person was along the Cumberland Trail back in 2009. Dubbed "Immodium Falls" by the local kayakers for what are no doubt gnarly rapids in the spring. It had been super cold the few days before our hike, but had warmed up to the mid 40s the day of. Back before the days off auto panoramic shots on phones, my brother took a bunch of pics of me sitting next to the falls' partially frozen pool and manually stitched them together:
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 01-26-2018 at 03:25 PM.