Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Moorhead Do What Saban Did Last Night to Win a Game?

vCash

Can Moorhead Do What Saban Did Last Night to Win a Game?

I completely agree that C34 that next year is Fitz?s team. He has earned it, fought for it, and is the emotional leader of this team. There is no QB controversy in Starkville IMO

However, that doesn?t change my opinion that Keytaon is a much more naturally gifted passer than Fitz and that, if we are behind in a game next year while having trouble moving the ball, that Moorhead may have to make a decision.

Can he do it?

vCash
    I would say if a move needs to be made, Moorhead could do it more easily than Mullen. Moorhead has no real attachment to either considering he just got here. Hopefully fitz improves his accuracy some, and this is a non-issue

vCash
    With the addition of Heath, Guidry and Whop I think this is a question that will go unanswered and remain speculative. Fitz is accurate enough that guys like those three will make him look like an NFL passer. I expect Fitz's draft stock to go up considerably next season.

vCash
    Moorhead has the personality of a winner. Someone that will sacrifice it for the team. I have the feeling that he will do what's in the best interest of the team.

That being said, I don't think last nights decision to bench Hurts was all that difficult. Tua was the better player and has been since he stepped on their campus. That contingency has always been there because of how dynamic Tua is in both the pass and the run.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I completely agree that C34 that next year is Fitz?s team. He has earned it, fought for it, and is the emotional leader of this team. There is no QB controversy in Starkville IMO

However, that doesn?t change my opinion that Keytaon is a much more naturally gifted passer than Fitz and that, if we are behind in a game next year while having trouble moving the ball, that Moorhead may have to make a decision.

Can he do it?
    I love how you know without a doubt that Key is a more gifted passer than Fitz based on one career start in a meaningless bowl game. I think the future is bright with Key, but Fitz is our guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    I love how you know without a doubt that Key is a more gifted passer than Fitz based on one career start in a meaningless bowl game. I think the future is bright with Key, but Fitz is our guy.
    I think it’s funny that you assume that people can’t watch a player 1 time and know what they can and cannot do.

vCash
    I don't think either are great passers and that Fitz is ahead of Key by a lot right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I don't think either are great passers and that Fitz is ahead of Key by a lot right now.
    Disagree and I think KT has the ingredients to be a very good passer

Fitz is a warrior. I really want him to excel and thrive in Moorhead’s system. He’s a hell of a football player that I trust to find a way.

That being said, other than experience, KT is way more talented
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 01-09-2018 at 05:07 PM.

vCash
    KT does have the opportunity to be good. But right now, he's not as good as Fitz at anything really. We shrunk the playbook down to nothing for Key in the Bowl game and he got a lot of yards vs OM after they had a sizeable lead. He'll be the man after next year or if Fitz gets hurt, but he's not there yet. Now, I have no problem if Fitz does have some bad games if we switch them out and see what happens, but I'm not ready to say Key is better at anything right now.

vCash
    I think Fitz is a lot better than people give him credit for. He really had a difficult job with his receivers this year. That said, I do think Key is just as good or better at making throws, but still well behind Fitz as far as making decisions. Maybe another spring and summer and switching to a new system will help him close the gap some, but I don't think he's going to catch Fitz next year unless Fitz really struggles because of the system change.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    I know we are not used to adjustments but I think Moorhead would definitely pull the trigger. Mullen would have rode Hurts the entire game and gotten beat 30-10.
    Last edited by Dawg-gone-dawgs; 01-10-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    No Signature

vCash
    Just as Key got a lot of PT at his year because most games were blow outs one way or the other, I expect next year to be even more of the same. .they will both play a lot ...(certainly enough to keep Key engaged)

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    With the addition of Heath, Guidry and Whop I think this is a question that will go unanswered and remain speculative. Fitz is accurate enough that guys like those three will make him look like an NFL passer. I expect Fitz's draft stock to go up considerably next season.
    Finally. Someone gets it. Yes Fitz has his fair share of wild passes but not much different than most QB?s. What exacerbates this perception of Fitz below average passing skills are below average receivers. A good receiver will catch balls that hit his hands. A good receiver will adjust to the balk mid flight and make a play on the ball. A good receiver will actually go up and fight for the ball. Name one receiver Fitz has had that fits into either one of these three categories of a good receiver? Bama, OM and most every other SEC team had a handful of guys who check off 2, in bit all, of these three categories.

Give Fitz Bama, LSU, Auburn or OM?s receivers and he would win SEC POY. Give him their receivers and the talent of n Auburn or Bama and he?s in New York. Good receivers made MGK and Bro Ballace look like all sec players.

Lastly, why is this such a difficult concept for this board to comprehend? Even Dak had Bear to help his stats and perception. If our receivers are simply marginally improved, Fitz could make a heisman run. If the 3 newcomers can play right away, the nation better look out. Hell i think C34 could pass for 3000 yards in 12 games with Bama or On receivers and a cold one in his other hand.

vCash
    Fitz is a special player. I haven't seen anything that would make me believe Key will be better than Fitz or ever beat him out for QB1. Not sure where this notion that he's an amazing passer is coming from either.

vCash
    There's not a coach on the previous staff that wouldnt say that KT is farther along as a true freshman than Fitz was as a R-Fr.

Fitz is an athlete/baseball player that has learned to play QB and gets better all the time. KT is 100% QB. (which is hilarious and soooo M-State considering the race of the players and stereotypes)
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    Just as Key got a lot of PT at his year because most games were blow outs one way or the other, I expect next year to be even more of the same. .they will both play a lot ...(certainly enough to keep Key engaged)
    After digging more into JoMo?s past, I honestly believe we wil is both QB?s effectively this season without creating a QB controversy. Both Penn State QB?s played significant snaps this past year, and from some film I?ve seen, both were actually on the field at the same time a good bit. This wa something I wants to see with Dak and Fitz, after watching UL Monroe a couple years ago. They had a lefty and a righty. Lined them both up behind center. Snapped to one who would fake a handoff to the other and they?d both do something. Defenses looked lost when they ran it.

vCash
    Its not about if he can, its making sure Key is ready to play whenever wherever we need him to.

Mullen didnt do that. Just telling the truth, Key shit his pants when he had to go in the EB. Mullen didnt have him ready

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think it’s funny that you assume that people can’t watch a player 1 time and know what they can and cannot do.

Vince Young and RGIII fans agree

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Vince Young and RGIII fans agree
    Admittingly, I thought RG3 was going to be good. There were no obvious physical shortcoming from him either athletically or mechanically. In retrospect, the only thing I can point to with him is that his personality always appeared to disingenuous to me. I still thought he would be good though.

Vince Young on the other hand was a nipple thrower with a low release that really pushed the ball. There was no way he was ever going to be a legitimate NFL passer

Thing is though, there was nothing you knew about either player from the 1st time your watched them till the 50th time you watched them. Until they got the NFL, their mechanics, athleticism, & general decision making speed is all you really had.

vCash
    It can be summed up in a couple sentences. Fitz is the better option now. KT is a more naturally gifted QB. If you have paid any attention to the way the ball comes out of their hand and seen the feel and touch KT has its easy to see the ability he has. Fitz still throws rockets everywhere.

Good news is we are in a great situation with both guys and Mayden coming in. We look to be set at QB for the foreseeable future.