Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Mullen was in a position to prevent all of this....

Banned
    vCash

Dan Mullen was in a position to prevent all of this....

And choked as usual. We should have been watching Georgia beat Ohio State or Clemson last night. But yet again, Dan Mullen will be remembered for what he didn't do at MSU, rather than what he did do.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 01-09-2018 at 05:29 PM.

vCash
    I thought about that last night also. If danny boy coached the 4th quarter like he did the first 3 bama wouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Of course Kirby coached the 4th quarter last night like danny boy did.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I thought about that last night also. If danny boy coached the 4th quarter like he did the first 3 bama wouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Of course Kirby coached the 4th quarter last night like danny boy did.
    2009 LSU goal line loss, didn't make a bowl
    2010 didn't sign Cam then lost a heartbreaker to him
    2011 Auburn goal line loss
    2012 Egg Bowl loss reignited their program
    2014 loss to Bama's worst team of Saban's tenure since 2007 killed our season
    2015 no one specific thing, just a waste of Dak's senior year culminated in egg beatdown at home and terrible recruiting
    2017 Bama loss, stupid coaching, allowed the most terrible fanbase ever 70 miles from us to continue their damned dynasty
    2017 Egg Bowl loss, though I can't blame it all on him, it's just one more thing in a long list

Some more particularly damaging things:
    Total meltdown on NSD 2011
    2012 we get to be the first bowl win ever for Northwestern yay
    2016 shorts and South Alabama

He never won when something major was on the line. The only things that come close:
    2013 bowl eligibility by winning 2 OT games
    2014 being #1 though it ultimately meant nothing as we got no trophies
    bowl streak

Only good thing I can say about him right now is that he left before he burned the whole thing to the ground like Jackie, and erased us as the coaching and quarterback graveyard. For that I'm thankful.

But good riddance to that dude

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    2015 no one specific thing, just a waste of Dak's senior year culminated in egg beatdown at home and terrible recruiting
    2017 Bama loss, stupid coaching, allowed the most terrible fanbase ever 70 miles from us to continue their damned dynasty
    2017 Egg Bowl loss, though I can't blame it all on him, it's just one more thing in a long list

He never won when something major was on the line. The only things that come close:
    2013 bowl eligibility by winning 2 OT games
    2014 being #1 though it ultimately meant nothing as we got no trophies
    bowl streak

Only good thing I can say about him right now is that he left before he burned the whole thing to the ground like Jackie, and erased us as the coaching and quarterback graveyard. For that I'm thankful.

But good riddance to that dude
    And those few good things "not running us into the ground" and "erasing us as the coaching and QB graveyard" are a pretty dang big deal. No other coach in 100+ years of football has been able to do the latter for sure when it comes to QBs.

That's our ticket to success having a versatile QB that is a dawg out there and can take over a game on his own.

vCash

Line some of those years up with job searches and it gets more pathetic. Funny how we beat om in the years he wasn't whoring himself out or Nutt was the coach.

vCash
    Damn....it's a real shame we had to endure Mullen's tenure !!! ********************
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    That 4th quarter against Saban was kind of a common denominator wasn’t it?

vCash
    Give it a rest guys. Mullen had more better seasons than any coach at MSU since the 40’s. Same goes for less bad seasons. The guy did a lot for MSU and I will always be greatful. I will also never appear ungrateful.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    That's our ticket to success having a versatile QB that is a dawg out there and can take over a game on his own.
    Let's look at that:

Here's our 2-loss seasons in recent memory:

1976: 9-2 (wasn't this a Rocky Felker team)
    1980: 9-2 with a bowl loss (John Bond and good offense)
    1999: 9-2 with a bowl win (great defense)
    2014: 10-2 with a bowl loss (Dak Prescott and good offense)

We can go further and add some of our most talented teams in there:

2000: 8-4 with a bowl win (great defense)
    2010: 8-4 with a bowl win (great defense)
    2018: TBD (most complete team I can remember)

So what is the formula? When I look at those 1999, 2000, and 2010 teams, I see a ton of JUCOs mixed with a solid group of high school players and no real holes on defense. Obviously the hole was quarterback on those teams. Most people say we got lucky in 1999 with an easy schedule. So seems the good money is on an offensive system with a solid dual threat quarterback, mixed with a defense built on home grown talent, whether it's high school or JUCO. Imagine if Dak Muffins had realized this sooner, perhaps it wouldn't have taken him 10 years to build the complete team we've been waiting on for a long time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Damn....it's a real shame we had to endure Mullen's tenure !!! ********************
    Ain't that the truth. He sucked so bad we have to refer to him by a different name.**

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Give it a rest guys. Mullen had more better seasons than any coach at MSU since the 40?s. Same goes for less bad seasons. The guy did a lot for MSU and I will always be greatful. I will also never appear ungrateful.
    This is not true. Take away the 12th game against FCS competition (read: gimme win) and he was no better than Jackie. Muffins missed his opportunity to be the best MSU coach ever, I outlined that in the OP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    That 4th quarter against Saban was kind of a common denominator wasn’t it?
    Truth. Seems to be for every team that's close to bama in the 4th quarter.

vCash
    After the last 3 yrs of Jackie and Croompacolypse we've forgotten real football and Merlin coaches us like an average coach should do and we think he's actually done something fantastic. Freeze ass raped him too many times for me to give him glowing praise. Yeah, he changed our program for the better but there are other coaches after Croom that could have done the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    After the last 3 yrs of Jackie and Croompacolypse we've forgotten real football and Merlin coaches us like an average coach should do and we think he's actually done something fantastic. Freeze ass raped him too many times for me to give him glowing praise. Yeah, he changed our program for the better but there are other coaches after Croom that could have done the same thing.
    But they didn't. Dan did.

vCash
    Truth. Seems to be for every team that's close to bama in the 4th quarter.
    There seems to be a pucker factor that Saban somehow eliminates most of the time. The AU kick six and Clemson pick play are the rare times I remember Bama losing at the end. Bama for the most part seems to play loose when most tighten up. It could be just my perception of it but it is almost like we are trying not to lose and Bama just knows they are about to win.

Banned
    vCash
    You got it, brotha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    But they didn't. Dan did.
    I don't deny that. Dan was also his own worst enemy.

vCash
    And choked as usual. We should have been watching Georgia beat Ohio State or Clemson last night. But yet again, Dak Muffins will be remembered for what he didn't do at MSU, rather than what he did do.
    I can't wait until you guys tell us how much Moorhead sucks.

Oh wait. It will be Bo Lesshead. Or will it be Blow Moohead.

Will you guys go ahead and figure out the stupid nicknames for Moorhead now so we can start practicing?
    Last edited by MadDawg; 01-09-2018 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    There seems to be a pucker factor that Saban somehow eliminates most of the time. The AU kick six and Clemson pick play are the rare times I remember Bama losing at the end. Bama for the most part seems to play loose when most tighten up. It could be just my perception of it but it is almost like we are trying not to lose and Bama just knows they are about to win.
    Yep. It seems like its always been that way with Bama, for as long as I can remember. Whether it was Bear, Stallings or Saban those coaches always seemed to be able to call on that bama mojo in the 4th quarter to pull things out.

vCash
    I will give Mullen credit, he got us to a point of expecting bowls every year. There aren't a lot of programs in the SEC that consistently goes to bowls every year. It seems like the only time we beat a better team was when the bowl streak was on the line. Hopefully Moorhead will take the next step and actually compete for the West. It wouldn't have been a spot in Atlanta but laying a turd against UM in 2014 still pisses me off. It would at least be a share of the West title but Dan shoping his name and fighting with Collins were probably big factors in the team sleep walking in the Egg Bowl.

I appreciate Mullen but we also paid him a shit ton of money and he half assed recruiting and the end of some seasons. Did he do a good job? I would say yes but he also shouldn't be above reproach.