Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Jalen Hurts- slide on over to Starkville, Ms

vCash
    Welp... Tua?s HS QB coach says he looked off the safety on the final play which happened to be Tua?s favorite in HS
    https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/t...nner-touchdown

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yes he was! Funny you mentioned him but I was thinking about him when I looked at the diagram Tusk put up, He got great drops and could cover a ton of ground.Dude was so athletic! I remember him returning kicks in college.
    Dude was a safety also in college but made the move to MLB flawlessly in the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Welp... Tua?s HS QB coach says he looked off the safety on the final play which happened to be Tua?s favorite in HS
    https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/t...nner-touchdown
    Yeah, I've been researching this whole thing (and trying to learn some)...

Tua said he "tried to look off the S, but the S stayed in the middle of the field"....

I'm thinking it was a combination of a lot of things... Mostly the S had a brainfart and locked up... and perhaps the crossing route and Tua helped with that some...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Yeah, I've been researching this whole thing (and trying to learn some)...

Tua said he "tried to look off the S, but the S stayed in the middle of the field"....

I'm thinking it was a combination of a lot of things... Mostly the S had a brainfart and locked up... and perhaps the crossing route and Tua helped with that some...
    Lol pretty much, the safety screwed the pooch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Dude was a safety also in college but made the move to MLB flawlessly in the NFL.
    Yeah he was quite an athlete. A safety in a lbs body.

vCash
    here's a really good article with some clips that shows different angles...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...mpionship-2018

after seeing this, I think the safety lacked discipline, forgot his shit, and bit....

No.

vCash
    here's a really good article with some clips that shows different angles...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...mpionship-2018

after seeing this, I think the safety lacked discipline, forgot his shit, and bit....
    Yeah you nailed it, Tusk.

Watching those clips makes it even worse. That was one weak ass drop by the safety. He absolutely did not get where he needed to be. Almost seemed like a half hearted effort. Just dang.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Ok- I'll type slower so maybe you can understand:

Where the QB was looking has nothing to do with the ******* Safety. There was no WR threat pressing the middle for the Safety to be looked off too. If you watch the Safety in the video- he softly backpedals and stays on the hash. He didnt stay as deep as the deepest threat- the X- as he is taught to do. If Tua had "looked him off" he would have drifted toward the middle of the field. He didnt do that- his ass didnt get deep like he is supposed to.

The CB who was sinking- hesitated because he saw the crosser and expected the Safety to be over the top for him.

I can't explain it any simpler or understand it for you
    Let me say it differently so maybe you understand.

If Tua doesn't look the other way, then what does the Safety do on that play? I understand coverage. It really isn't that hard of a concept. I am saying Tua looking the other way contributed to his brain fart. Get it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PonderThis2 View Post

If Tua doesn't look the other way, then what does the Safety do on that play? I understand coverage. It really isn't that hard of a concept. I am saying Tua looking the other way contributed to his brain fart. Get it?
    That's what confused me during this whole thread... I my mind, it's not like 1) blowing a coverage and 2) getting baited/tricked are mutually exclusive...

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PonderThis2 View Post

Every QB the Safety plays against looks the other way on deeper routes. He made no false steps toward the middle of the field- so he wasnt "looked off" is all I'm saying. His poor drop is hard to explain given that he has to see that the X is driving hard. Could he have thought they were in C-4 and didnt drop as hard because of the TE crossing? That could explain his actions a little better but CB obviously thought they were in C-2 because if they are in C-4 he never checks up.

Yua knew he was throwing to the X off of his pre-snap read though most likely because of the position of the safety- even with him bailing back to the hash right before the snap.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    “It’s like four verticals,” Vinny Passas, Tagovailoa’s former quarterbacks coach, told SEC Country of the play call. “It’s just a matter of how you’re going to manipulate the safety. He did the right thing. He peeked at the over route to get that safety to hold the middle a little bit. He just went outside with it and, gosh, it was there. The ball came out in front of his body.

vCash
    That's what confused me during this whole thread... I my mind, it's not like 1) blowing a coverage and 2) getting baited/tricked are mutually exclusive...
    NO ONE denies the safety blew the coverage... hell, it is obvious. C34 just will not admit that tua deeked the safety. If tua looked left, the safety would have been in position

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Every QB the Safety plays against looks the other way on deeper routes. He made no false steps toward the middle of the field- so he wasnt "looked off" is all I'm saying. His poor drop is hard to explain given that he has to see that the X is driving hard. Could he have thought they were in C-4 and didnt drop as hard because of the TE crossing? That could explain his actions a little better but CB obviously thought they were in C-2 because if they are in C-4 he never checks up.

Yua knew he was throwing to the X off of his pre-snap read though most likely because of the position of the safety- even with him bailing back to the hash right before the snap.
    If I’m not mistaken, didn’t the corner throw up his hands in disgust? Bout 99% sure it was cover 2 cause the cb was pissed he didn’t get the help over the top like he was supposed to have. Safety screwed the pooch. It’s his job to not “get looked off” and take care of his responsibility. Safety may have been looking toward the trips side because qb was looking that way initially and the wr on his side got by him. But no matter what the safety was looking at or doing, he failed in his responsibility to cover his deep half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    NO ONE denies the safety blew the coverage... hell, it is obvious. C34 just will not admit that tua deeked the safety. If tua looked left, the safety would have been in position
    I can agree with this and with 34 too. Tua looking to the right could have contributed to the safety cheating his eyes that way looking to make a play. If Tua is staring the X receiver down all the way, I’m pretty sure the TD doesn’t happen. But with the way it played out, the safety lost focus on his responsibility and got burned.

vCash
    Heard Tuberville on a radio interview state, "....the safety had a hard job to get to that part of the field in that amount of time."

Basically, he said it wasn't as much as safety's or corner's fault but more so a good play and great throw.

fwiw

vCash
    It's also a common strategy to beat Cover 2 by dropping it in between the corner and the safety. That happened but if he was better he probably at least tackles him short of the goal line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    aGAIN- the X decides what the safety does- not Tua. The X streaking deep is the Safey's primary read. Tua looking to the right didnt make the safety halfass backpedal. He couldnt have helped to the right with a halfass backpedal anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    It's also a common strategy to beat Cover 2 by dropping it in between the corner and the safety. That happened but if he was better he probably at least tackles him short of the goal line.
    no doubt

With 2 deep- you hammer it with 3 receivers going deep. 1 in the middle and down each sideline. I run the same play Bama ran as well, altho I do it out of a TE-Trips set. We just dont usually play teams that leave the deep balls open so we hit the crosser 3/4 of the time.

vCash
    What got the safety beat was his half ass drop. He was late because he half assed his drop. Watch the clip Tusk linked. He was beat from the get go. I do wonder though if he thought it was a cover 4 because normally in that cover 2 the cb gets a bump on the wr, and it looked as if the safety was playing it as a cover 4. That's the way it appeared to me looking at it again. As Bulldawg28 said earlier it should've been picked off or broken up.

vCash
    delete