Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Have to Be Ruthless to be A High Level CFB Recruiter?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    Same in Alabama. It?s simple. Don?t compete with the instate schools, but be the first backup.

Some don?t like playing second fiddle. Well, one step at a time. Let?s go win the SEC (we?ve gotten close), then start reaching for more.
    Yep. That's why we should be first in Mississippi as much as possible. I think we are on the defensive side of the ball. Now we have to be number one on the offensive side of the ball.

The ONLY thing I think we should do that Ole Miss does is offer top 100 recruits regardless of where they are from. Most of them won't come- but I think just having an offer for some reason changes the perception of a program because all of the recruiting analysts see "Mississippi State" over and over again. We might even get one interested in MSU and land one every now and then too.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This is my #1 question about Moorhead.

I couldn't care less about his southern connections & if he is from Mississippi, as I don't believe that truly matters.

What I do think that matters is the ruthlessness you are able to stomach in the name of landing a recruit. Can you stomach & have the relentlessness to thrive in that part of the job?

On a scale of 1-10, I think Don was about a 4 or 5 on this trait with Smart, Freeze, Dabo, etc being 9s or 10s.

I don't think losing a recruit kept Don awake at night as he believed he was such a good coach that he was above that.

I hope Moorhead is at least a 6 here. Something to move the needle forward.
    Moorhead is not the only one recruiting. I think he has hired some pretty damn good recruiters and we have upgraded over the last staff.
    No Signature

vCash
    Yes, end of discussion.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BorneDawg View Post
    Well I think you can if you have the coaching ability to take advantage of talent that maybe isn't known. Find the overlooked. If it comes down to being of good Christian character and not selling your soul to get some recruits and having to work harder to out coach and work opponents or selling out and cheating and running a dirty program of poor integrity then I choose the first. I know I differ than a lot on this board who are ok with stooping to tactics like freeze but it one reason I like our Dawgs so much is walked the walk of a family with integrity and good moral values. If our university ever changed to one like tsun then I would have to rethink my affiliation with them.
    Well said, I agree. Rep Given

vCash

And this is the concern I have with Moorhead. He's spent most of his career in

the North/Northeast and this league is MUCH tougher to recruit in and will eat you up. He seems like a "nice" guy. Yeah, I know he's a competitor and all of that but that will only get you so far.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)