Thread: Shoop and the 4-3....

vCash

Shoop and the 4-3....

I know we are going to be multiple, but he has always been a 4-3 guy. Who is going to be our 3 Tech? Do we move Simmons off the NT and let him be the 3 tech?

We have a bunch of talented D-linemen, but most are under 280.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I know we are going to be multiple, but he has always been a 4-3 guy. Who is going to be our 3 Tech? Do we move Simmons off the NT and let him be the 3 tech?

Simmons will demand a double team wherever he goes, just depends on what gap you want to open up.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Autry and Thomas are big guys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Autry and Thomas are big guys
    I would say Autry is a NT. Thomas seems to be a 3 Tech. He's solid, but he's not a Fletcher Cox/Chris Jones 3 Tech like we have had in the past.

I also worry about Gerri Green. He had his best year of his career as a 3-4 OLB. I'm not sure he is a 4-3 OLB, plus I expect a lot of nickel. Just got to trust that Shoop is smart enough to adjust his schemes, but not many coaches change after 30 years of doing it one way.

vCash
    A lot of 4-3 teams don’t move the DT’s. So if there is a TE to their side or the strength call- the DT lines up as a 3. If no TE or it’s the declared weak side- play a shade or a 1. No idea if Shoop will want to move the DT’s according to strength or not.

I would personally have Simmons and Sweat on opposite sides. That way teams can’t make their blocking calls centered toward them and run away from them both. Simmons commands a double and most teams will have to help their LT against Sweat by using a TE or RB. That leaves some wide open blitzing lanes for LB’s to hammer QB’s. Also makes DL twists more effective.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    A lot of 4-3 teams don’t move the DT’s. So if there is a TE to their side or the strength call- the DT lines up as a 3. If no TE or it’s the declared weak side- play a shade or a 1. No idea if Shoop will want to move the DT’s according to strength or not.

I would personally have Simmons and Sweat on opposite sides. That way teams can’t make their blocking calls centered toward them and run away from them both. Simmons commands a double and most teams will have to help their LT against Sweat by using a TE or RB. That leaves some wide open blitzing lanes for LB’s to hammer QB’s. Also makes DL twists more effective.
    Remember that Braxton Hoyett and Chauncey Rivers will be on the line next year too. Our 3rd down package should be one of the best next season as far as Front 7
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    slightly off topic, but is there new rumors about Sweat? last I heard (3-4 days ago) it seemed like he was going to leave. are we confident now he'll stay?

vCash
    nothing is announced yet but some think the lean is toward staying and going for 1st round money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Remember that Braxton Hoyett and Chauncey Rivers will be on the line next year too. Our 3rd down package should be one of the best next season as far as Front 7
    Yep I am pumped to see what Rivers adds to the DL. I think he will make an already very very good unit great. Our depth on the DL will be terrific next year as well. We should stay in every game due to our defense.

vCash

That would be an old school 4-3. I'd be down with that at times but watching and reading on him he uses some fire zone blitzes and plays the DT's in 2's and 2I's and slants them. I like it.

Its a lot harder to prepare for and is harder on the OL when you dont know who is going where and when

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    That would be an old school 4-3. I'd be down with that at times but watching and reading on him he uses some fire zone blitzes and plays the DT's in 2's and 2I's and slants them. I like it.

Its a lot harder to prepare for and is harder on the OL when you dont know who is going where and when
    Based on videos of his past defenses it looks like he likes to blitz a lot. So, I approve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

I do not want and we do not need the 4-3.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I do not want and we do not need the 4-3.
    I'm with you man. But from everything I've read, in today's game, 4-3 or 3-4 is just semantics.

vCash

Nice analysis. Agreed. I would make opposing offenses pick their poison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post

Oh, no doubt that you can dress it up all kinds of ways. You can slant and that works sometimes and sometimes it creates huge gaps for zone runs because the backside gets cut off. The bottom line though is that if you have a badass defensive line- it doesnt make a **** what you run. They are animals and will wreak havoc in anything they do. The less talented you are- the more creative you have to be.

Saban wears teams out because he has top draft picks on his def front- not because he is outscheming anybody

vCash

If rivers is as good as advertised it won't matter whether sweat and Simmons are on the same side or not. Our defensive front is going to be hell on wheels next year.