Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
I get what you are saying & agree, but it doesn't change my opinion that LSU & A&M were both offering Aranda WAY above market price & that it was unnecessary. There are plenty of quality DCs that would've taken market value for those two jobs. Go find them
I don't thinks they were offering way above market value. The Market sets itself. LSU is desperate and Alleva is fighting for his job. He is tied at the hip with the O hire and has to do everything in his power to make sure he isn't a complete failure or he will be out of a job. I would love for state to throw that kind of money at a DC. It is more than worth it.

Some thought Mullen was making too much and yet look how much $$ he brought into the city of Starkville once we got good. Look at how many gameday condos started to be built and what he did for the local economy with hotels and restaurants. He brought in way more money for Starkville than we ever thought about paying him. Most of those condos go anywhere from 200k-600k a piece and there are tons of them around town now and that is just condos.

It also helped with incoming freshman numbers. I know several people that grew up in USM families and their kids decided to come to state simply because of our athletics programs namely football. That may be a bad reason to pick a school but it's part of it.

The money doled out to coaches is small in comparison to what football game weekends do for Starkville economically. If we are bad going 3-9 and 4-8 with 25-30k coming to games and buying apparel etc. that hurts more than just our football program it basically shuts down city growth. Starkville's best selling product is Mississippi State Football...Why not invest in it?